Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 11:15 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
lol
Meaning what? The place is going to go like Detroit or real muricans are going to continue to reproduce and stay in the region?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 11:45 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Meaning what? The place is going to go like Detroit or real muricans are going to continue to reproduce and stay in the region?
LI will probably never become like Detroit, but to reiterate what I said, keep an eye on the NYC economy. Most large companies left LI, and now most of the island's wealth flows from there.

There is a major dependency on city money and zero chance large companies will relocate here with the taxes the way they are. Cuomo can spend a billion kajillion bucks on new StartUP ads and giveaways, but it changes nothing. This place will never be competitive again because companies look at LI taxes, regulations and overall COL.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:58 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
LI will probably never become like Detroit, but to reiterate what I said, keep an eye on the NYC economy. Most large companies left LI, and now most of the island's wealth flows from there.

There is a major dependency on city money and zero chance large companies will relocate here with the taxes the way they are. Cuomo can spend a billion kajillion bucks on new StartUP ads and giveaways, but it changes nothing. This place will never be competitive again because companies look at LI taxes, regulations and overall COL.
Perhaps you are right. A more optimistic take would be that, at some point, commercial rents on LI are going to be so, so, so much lower than NYC that some respectable companies might give them a look. Our housing is still much more affordable than equivalent NYC housing and some people really do want the suburban lifestyle. We also have a pretty well-educated workforce. I think ex-urban Suffolk will remain the most stagnant. Too far for a professional (well, the vast majority) to want to commute and not quite far enough to be a vacation spot like North Fork or Hamptons, no critical mass of employment. Agree 100% that the government giveaways aren't doing a thing and probably doing more harm than good.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:00 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,556 times
Quote:
There is a major dependency on city money
This is mostly true for Nassau County. Suffolk County for the most part is too far to commute to NYC and most dont. COL is lower in Suffolk though not dramatically if you want to live well. Certainly in suffolk but also in Nassau you'd be surprised how many people do not work in manhattan. There are all sorts of small businesses(finance, legal, tech), medical jobs, entrepreneurs,teachers, cops etc not tied to NYC. There are many very affluent people on LI that dont work in the city.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:12 PM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
This is mostly true for Nassau County. Suffolk County for the most part is too far to commute to NYC and most dont. COL is lower in Suffolk though not dramatically if you want to live well. Certainly in suffolk but also in Nassau you'd be surprised how many people do not work in manhattan. There are all sorts of small businesses(finance, legal, tech), medical jobs, entrepreneurs,teachers, cops etc not tied to NYC. There are many very affluent people on LI that dont work in the city.
Correct
You can find many nice neighborhoods outside of NYC commuting distance that are obviously not affordable to civil servants. And there is clearly not a glut of empty houses in those neighborhoods in any case.
That observation seems to threaten one or two posters who claim otherwise.

Just as simply pointing out LI's growing population seems to threaten a few posters who claim LI is emptying out and dying due to high taxes (or something along those lines). And pointing out the routine nature of retirees moving out to Florida (or elsewhere) and immigrants, NYC suburb seekers, and others arriving on the island is apparently further infuriating.

Just as pointing out the growing passing rates and record-setting voter margins of school district budgets on Long Island seem to threaten at at least one poster who claims the irate citizens are voting down the budgets. Before fleeing the purportedly emptying island.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 09-15-2016 at 01:34 PM..

Old 09-15-2016, 01:41 PM

70 posts, read 180,934 times
Question for you guys and gals. Why is it that i pay more in taxes (home taxed on 320k) in holbrook vs say someone in kings park (~2m value and 1 acre) or southampton (1.8m 2 acres)? this is the main thing that makes me angry those who can "afford" higher taxes somehow actually pay less than the normal joe.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:08 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,942 times
Quote:

Sounds like more wishful thinking on your part. I know for a fact the poster I responded to does not agree with you. He just went in balls deep on a 700k home in GC or vicinity. A bargain compared to the 700k attached homes in Jackson heights that have a similar commute to Manhattan.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:54 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Sounds like more wishful thinking on your part. I know for a fact the poster I responded to does not agree with you. He just went in balls deep on a 700k home in GC or vicinity. A bargain compared to the 700k attached homes in Jackson heights that have a similar commute to Manhattan.
GC is not a bad commute. In fact one can ride the train from there to both midtown or atlantic and connect to downtown. It should get more attractive when the Hudson yards corporate tenants open their offices.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:00 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
Quote:
None of this is wishful thinking or makes me happy. I grew up here, but this is a sad, frustrating place for me as a taxpayer, and it's clear why NY is second to Illinois in people fleeing. I'm relieved the r.e. market is doing fine and somebody will buy my house.

These anecdotes of yours don't foretell the future. The Titanic was supposed to be an unsinkable ship. Flint, Michigan was once a prosperous American city. On a pretty September day, planes fell out of the sky and crashed into office buildings.

Always expect the unexpected. Best to be skeptical that the union always tells you the truth and the public will always take care of you. A downturn is inevitable. It's happened before and will happen again.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:22 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Quote:
Depends on our immigration policies going forward. All of the immigrants that came into the country pre-1925 had forty years to assimilate since we basically shut the borders until 1965 (and a large percentage actually went home if they didn't succeed). Since then it's been a logarithmically increasing free for all of third world immigrants pouring in, coupled with a social safety net that keeps them around and sucking from the taxpayer teat for generations. The region is irrelevant, they're nearly everywhere. I can be more explicit per group if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island