Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 06:38 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
People that work from home are lazy. Get a real job you slackers!
It's very easy to be lazy, which is why deadlines, even if you set them yourself, are important. As long as I deliver for clients every time, there is not a single reason for me to be in an office doing what I do. None. I never have the tv on and often eat lunch at my desk for only 15 minutes too. I've had peers whom I know for a fact were producing at a snail's pace and they got canned a while back.

My cousin does mortgages up north and she doesn't ever need to be in an office either. She will drive to meet clients once in a while but you can imagine that isn't very often.

If you call waking up early to shower and get dressed and traveling a half hour+ a requirement to qualify as a "real job", I guess I would never want one of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 06:52 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Again, I live in Suffolk County since that is what somebody in my field can afford, regardless of whether they are working on LI or in NYC. You keep talking about the financial field, but not everybody is in the financial field.

Again, you are talking about the financial field. What you say works fine in that field, but not in every field. In my field, profit is based entirely on billable hours. The most valuable employee, unfortunately, is whoever is willing to work the longest hours for the least amount of money. Most civil engineers do not make $200k, and they certainly are not on the 4:15 train (unless they arrived at work at 5 AM).

Do you agree that in my situation, working in NYC would be a serious drop in quality of life, since my field does not pay $200,000, and does not allow people to work from 9 to 4?

If you are in the financial field, where you can make $200k working 9 to 4 and afford to live in Nassau County, then certainly a NYC job makes a lot of sense.

Yes, I realize that I made a bad choice of college major. But I have to live with the decisions that I made.
Let's key again on why I responded to you in the first place:
Quote:
but those who do work in NYC are paying a steep penalty in quality of life. So it's a trade off.
If you think that I'm talking about only the financial field, one likely to be the most stressful of them all, why then would someone be able to get home at 5? I'm showing you it is not one size fits all and even they do not have to work long hours to get high salaries. I know people in the city doing all kinds of work in different industries. You can be an HR manager or an IT guy in an architecture/design company and make a lot. It doesn't matter - they charge clients a lot (because they have to and they can) and in turn they can afford to pay more (or have to because of competition who do). Commuters feel it is worth their effort to be out there. This does not automatically mean they work long hours or weekends.

None of this may apply to you, yet you apply your "no life" outlook on all NYC commuters time and again.

You mention your billable hours - I personally earn money for my company via billable hours too (FTE hours), but I am still salaried based on my worth to them. A job in my field on LI may fetch a ceiling of $70k while in NYC it can go up to $150k - a huge disparity based on aforementioned factors. When was the last time you job hunted in the city and can attest to everything you claim about your field's offerings being true? From here, it sounds like you only hope it's true.

Last edited by ovi8; 12-29-2016 at 07:01 AM..

Old 12-29-2016, 07:26 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
people that work from home are lazy. Get a real job you slackers!
lol 1+

Old 12-29-2016, 08:10 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post

If you think that I'm talking about only the financial field, one likely to be the most stressful of them all, why then would someone be able to get home at 5? I'm showing you it is not one size fits all and even they do not have to work long hours to get high salaries. I know people in the city doing all kinds of work in different industries. You can be an HR manager or an IT guy in an architecture/design company and make a lot. It doesn't matter - they charge clients a lot (because they have to and they can) and in turn they can afford to pay more (or have to because of competition who do). Commuters feel it is worth their effort to be out there. This does not automatically mean they work long hours or weekends.

None of this may apply to you, yet you apply your "no life" outlook on all NYC commuters time and again.

You mention your billable hours - I personally earn money for my company via billable hours too (FTE hours), but I am still salaried based on my worth to them. A job in my field on LI may fetch a ceiling of $70k while in NYC it can go up to $150k - a huge disparity based on aforementioned factors. When was the last time you job hunted in the city and can attest to everything you claim about your field's offerings being true? From here, it sounds like you only hope it's true.
You make cogent points but you're wasting your time. If you're expecting a capacity for nuanced understanding, self awareness, and an open mind in this discussion...look elsewhere.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:06 AM

319 posts, read 278,513 times
I get salary and commission too but really if you wanna make bank you work for yourself.

Wall Street jobs, journalism jobs, artsy jobs, museum jobs have all declined.

You need technical skills, welders have job oppirtunity galore, when is the last time you seen an opening for a museum curator? The internet killed journalism, and fed regulation caused a downsize in Wall Street jobs.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:08 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post

But again, what you are saying, unfortuantely, does not apply to my field. My field is based almost entirely on government contracts. They tend to value money over quality, so they often choose a low bidder, even when not required to do so. So a civil engineering firm that charges their clients a lot will be out of business quickly. In fact, some very large firms in the city bid on projects at a loss, just to keep smaller firms from winning them. Those projects are then worked on by salaried staff on weekends and holidays.

Quote:
Since you realize that what you say doesn't apply to me, why do you keep trying to pressure me into taking a job in NYC. Why do you have such a problem with me choosing to work on Long Island? How does my decision to work on Long Island affect you in any way?

Quote:
You mention your billable hours - I personally earn money for my company via billable hours too (FTE hours), but I am still salaried based on my worth to them. A job in my field on LI may fetch a ceiling of $70k while in NYC it can go up to $150k - a huge disparity based on aforementioned factors.
My job on Long Island pays far more than $70k. A job in my field at my level in NYC would not pay $150k, nor anywhere near it. So, I am not suffering the penalty that you keep talking about. On the other hand, if my job on LI did pay only $70k, and if I could make $150k working 9 to 5 Mon-Fri only in NYC, I would consider the NYC job. But since my LI job pays far more than $70k, and a NYC job would pay far less than $150k while requiring far longer hours (in addition to a longer commute), I see no reason to take a job in NYC. Why can't you understand that?

Quote:
When was the last time you job hunted in the city and can attest to everything you claim about your field's offerings being true? From here, it sounds like you only hope it's true.
I have no need to job hunt in the city. I am basing what I say on people that I know who work in NYC.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:11 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtrotalpha View Post
I get salary and commission too but really if you wanna make bank you work for yourself.
That may be true. But the reality is that most of us do not have the personality type that it takes to run a business, nor do most of us have the ability or desire to take on that level of risk. There needs to be some way for the rest of us to make a living wage.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:34 AM

319 posts, read 278,513 times
I left NY years ago and it wasnt really because of taxes I was born and raised in Putnam County/ Northern Westchester so it was cheaper there at the time, I just wanted more out of life then harsh winters and having to travel into NYC for any real money, I think now Putnam/ Northern Westchester is probably just as exspensive as LI, I call Virginia home now, 4 bedroom ranch on 1.05 acres agriculture land, 1400 a month, that includes taxes.

Wealth takes risk, self employment is a big chance but if successful it could be wonderful.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:32 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,795,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtrotalpha View Post
I left NY years ago and it wasnt really because of taxes I was born and raised in Putnam County/ Northern Westchester so it was cheaper there at the time, I just wanted more out of life then harsh winters and having to travel into NYC for any real money, I think now Putnam/ Northern Westchester is probably just as exspensive as LI, I call Virginia home now, 4 bedroom ranch on 1.05 acres agriculture land, 1400 a month, that includes taxes.

Wealth takes risk, self employment is a big chance but if successful it could be wonderful.
Well, there's a growing gig economy, and it's possible to do okay freelancing and growing the client base if you're living in a low tax state and keep expenses down. On LI, big clients that pay thousands upfront for what I do (writing direct response ads virtually) are necessary from the get-go. NY taxes are a drain for anyone trying to get ahead.

I always considered Putnam scenic but too far north to be in the daily commutation zone to NYC. Guess it isn't. Living on the mainland and taking the MetroNorth is probably better than LI and the LIRR. I mean, we're stuck here unless we pay $30 in tolls to get out of here. We accept this, but it's crazy!

Old 12-30-2016, 09:53 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Although my job on LI pays significantly higher than the national average for my field and level of experience. Again, not everybody is in the financial field.
Not everyone who works in Manhattan or NYC work in the financial field. you are still paying more for everything due to the influx of NYC money. Just look at house prices. With an average wage in the county at the national average, the cost of a house is still 60% higher than the national average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island