Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2017, 03:09 PM

319 posts, read 274,772 times

Advertisements

A teacher here in Orange Va with a graduate degree is maybe 65-70k max, I can see how some posters get angry because the high taxes and inflated salaries of New York kinda go hand in hand, if the residents are forced to pay school taxes those taxes I'm sure help inflate the salaries and because of that you then can justify a high cost of living.

If you are a teacher on Long Island I wouldnt leave because you have it made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 04:34 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,781,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtrotalpha View Post

If you are a teacher on Long Island I wouldnt leave because you have it made.
This started out as a thread for taxpayers to vent about the taxes here, nothing more. Then some teachers came around to remind some of us that we're slackers and losers for venting about their salaries. You gotta wonder what kind of ethics they're teaching young minds in our pricey halls of learning. Do they praise anonymous bullying and insults in the classroom?

These teachers keep boasting about what they make off the taxpayers. Why do they come here when they could be rolling around in their money?

Old 01-08-2017, 04:45 PM

319 posts, read 274,772 times
It is true that LI teachers make alot because no where else in the country would you make that teaching 3rd grade.

The taxpayers are affording the affluence of teacher salaries on Long Island, they are the reason a teacher makes so much.

In my opinion regardless of salary you should pursue your career paths based on more then just money otherwise you will wind up with a job you cant stand.

Old 01-08-2017, 05:52 PM

22,614 posts, read 36,516,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalBlvd View Post
I live in Raleigh and had lived in Oceanside many years ago when it was affordable.

Why don't y'all look at public sector salaries in this right to work for less state. Not nice.

Then, get rid of the greedy SOB's that are ruining LI. A Boston Tea Party would be a great start.

Fight, don't run.

PS: Raleigh has great NY style pizza, bagels, and even bialys.
You didn't fight, you ran - with your welfare benefits. So shut up.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:05 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,874,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeytangofoxtrotalpha View Post

In my opinion regardless of salary you should pursue your career paths based on more then just money otherwise you will wind up with a job you cant stand.
Sounds good in theory. Reality is if you don't pick a career that can maintain the life you want to live, your life is going to be stressful.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:07 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,874,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
This started out as a thread for taxpayers to vent about the taxes here, nothing more. Then some teachers came around to remind some of us that we're slackers and losers for venting about their salaries. You gotta wonder what kind of ethics they're teaching young minds in our pricey halls of learning. Do they praise anonymous bullying and insults in the classroom?

These teachers keep boasting about what they make off the taxpayers. Why do they come here when they could be rolling around in their money?
Obviously I'm not a teacher. Only a complete buffoon would assume that.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:45 PM

19,003 posts, read 16,817,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
We will not rest until we colonize NC. Soon it will be the nirvana of pizza, bagels, and high teacher salaries! You have been warned!!!!!
Make sure you use the correct public bathroom.....

Old 01-08-2017, 06:54 PM

33,372 posts, read 46,784,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post

WoW

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-09-2017, 09:46 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,191,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
300k in Cali you either bought in 1992 or live no where near LA/SF etc. Houses here are generally cheaper due to the high taxes. My friend lives in Orange County my 625k house w/ 12k taxes here would cost him a around 1mm where he lives. NYC is the similar to Cali low property taxes higher values.
We live in Ventura County which is next to LA county. We are in the Los Angeles Metropolitan Statistical area. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ventur...atistical_Area We are positioned between Malibu and Santa Barbara on the coast in the city of Oxnard. We bought near the bottom of the market in 2010. In 2007 our home was going for $700,000. In 2016 it hit the $500,000 mark. Our home was built in 1962. It is a 1,670 square foot ranch style home with 4 beds and 2 and a half baths. It has a 2 car attached garage. Small laundry room between the garage and the kitchen. Our home sits on a 6,000 square foot lot. When we bought it the home was original to 1962 with no improvements. We replaced the windows, doors, upgraded the plumbing, electrical, and the exterior look of the home. Still need to replace the kitchen and the bathrooms though.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:48 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,191,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
Ah yes...California-The Land of Fruits & Nuts....and the 13.5% income tax.
I guess you don't plan on retiring then? I can live in my home when I retire and will not have the high property tax. What will you be doing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island