Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2016, 10:47 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Well developers and real estate investors see the housing boom going another 10 years.
They're redirecting their focus toward Transit Oriented Development. If there isn't much more land to buil on, if taxes are high enough to impact home sales, focus on the rental market to keep the money flowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You check your Brook-a-leen 'tude at the state line and you'll do fine. I have a close friend who works for Apex Parks and Rec, and knows more parents who have been banned from the sidelines there than any other town here. They all seem to be from east of 110. They've all also traded one set of issues for another by coming here and buying the biggest McMansion they can find in the most keep-up-with-the-jones neighborhoods...hopefully you did not fall victim to that and it works out for you.
The old "I moved from LI and now look what I can afford but don't look to closely because I'm paying out the wazoo for rental furniture and am living on rice and beans" attitude.

My BIL did that. My sister teetered on the precipice. She bought into the high-falluting beach community in Florida. She and her husband moved south partly so they could start a family and she could stay home and raise them. Turns out that she had to go back to work full time to pay for the mortgage on their southern albatross.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:13 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Head out to the north and south fork of LI and you will see locals being driven out by City people buying up homes out there and driving up costs.
This is true upstate in Dutchess, Columbia, Sullivan and Otsego counties also. I looked at listings of multi acre-sized properties and good ones looked very cheap compared to NYC metro but then, unaffordable to locals who earn local wages.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:19 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
This is true upstate in Dutchess, Columbia, Sullivan and Otsego counties also. I looked at listings of multi acre-sized properties and good ones looked very cheap compared to NYC metro but then, unaffordable to locals who earn local wages.
The same for NYC houses....unless they were purchased in the 70s and 80s.....NYC house values seem so out of reach for most New Yorkers. House values have shot up while income has been stagnant and cost of living keeps climbing faster than inflation. Natives can't afford it unless they inherit a nice chunk of money ..only outsiders.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
The same for NYC houses....unless they were purchased in the 70s and 80s.....NYC house values seem so out of reach for most New Yorkers. House values have shot up while income has been stagnant and cost of living keeps climbing faster than inflation.

Home price increases upstate are being fueled by buyers from NYC looking for weekend homes.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The person to whom I responded made a point of blaming LIers for her area's plight. The reality, which I was trying to demonstrate, is that LIers are experiencing the very same thing.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The person to whom I responded made a point of blaming LIers for her area's plight. The reality, which I was trying to demonstrate, is that LIers are experiencing the very same thing.
Could this be as a result of more NYC plutocrats buying weekend homes? It looks like every other senior executive I bump into has a second home in Southold, Greenport, etc.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:48 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
So if I read this right taxes aren't killing Long Island, they're just changing the economic demographic. Of course that doesn't help full-time Long Islanders.

Old 09-12-2016, 06:23 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
We're hopefully finishing up our mortgage in 4 years, but when we think about the future and how it's stupid expensive (in every sense of the term) staying here, it's really not as beneficial as we initially thought.

Local gov't doesn't care though - whoever buys our house will just feed into it just the same.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:41 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
And that's how it's been for decades. When I left we thought the same thing but somehow the Island grinds on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island