Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:21 PM

5 posts, read 108,239 times

Advertisements

I posted on this forum in the past and got great recommendations for a different job I needed so here I am again looking for some assistance.

I am looking to have paving stones installed (about 16x24 feet with a small walkway (about 2x11) too). I am also looking to have a firepit created/installed. From what I've read online, the Cambridge paving stones are the best cost effective way to go. I've been looking at quotes online/estimates in person, but so far two contracting companies have flaked out on me (I guess they are doing better than the economy indicates).

I've looked at aboveallmasonry.com and they give a free cambridge firepit with every 20x20 (400 sq foot) purchase. They charge $10 a square foot installed. They canceled on me once and then no showed on a 2nd estimate, so I figured I would not go with them.

The second company came for the estimate (Flawless Masonry Paving and Design) and gave me a price match to aboveallmasonry (verbally) and said they would send a written estimate in the mail. Two weeks later and I still haven't received anything. I called and they said they would call me back. Still waiting...

Does anyone have any recommendations they could make on mason companies that do paving stone patio installations in Suffolk County? Any help would be appreciated greatly! If you do happen to run a reputable company, please PM me or email me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:26 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,735 times
Pavers aren't hard to do yourself. A bit labor intensivbe but renting the tamping machine from your local HD makes it much easier. It would take maybe two days to do something that size, but you'd save big money from what mansonry places want to charge you.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 AM

115 posts, read 233,295 times
Although I have never had that work done for me, I have known people who were happy with Italia pavers. You can find them in the yellow pages.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 7,523 times
Default flawless masonry

I used flawless masonry and what a mistake. I was talked into paying cash and stupidly paid before job fully completed. Guess what they never returned to finish job and do not return phone calls. Find someone else.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:29 AM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
See thread about contractor stereotypes...
Masons and contractors are basically one in the same, just one plays with rocks and the other wood. Get references! Or, a recommendation from somebody you really trust, and even then, ask to see the work. Sometimes it takes a few months to tell if you got a poor job, so really do your homework and don't be afraid to bust chops with whatever company you go with. A reputable company will give you zero flack when asked for references or to physically see some of their work.

PS: Never, ever, ever, pay in full until you are satisfied with the job, and the job is 100% totally completed.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 108,239 times
I actually had the patio done by a company (Unique Pavers) and they did a great job (shocking...I know) at the cheapest price by far. They did a large stoop (almost 8 feet with 4 steps), a 500 square foot patio, and a firepit for $5500. If you want to see it, just email me and I'll send you some pictures over. They came when they were supposed to and completed the work in 2 full days.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:59 AM

18 posts, read 86,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanformato View Post
I actually had the patio done by a company (Unique Pavers) and they did a great job (shocking...I know) at the cheapest price by far. They did a large stoop (almost 8 feet with 4 steps), a 500 square foot patio, and a firepit for $5500. If you want to see it, just email me and I'll send you some pictures over. They came when they were supposed to and completed the work in 2 full days.
hi, i m thinking to do my patio and i see you used unique pavers. would you mind to send me some pics for their work? thank you.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,261 times
Default Patio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanformato View Post
Hi can you send me pictures and name
Thanks

Old 09-22-2016, 02:06 PM

783 posts, read 1,422,526 times
I recommend King Pavers - 516-642-7602.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:02 AM

718 posts, read 619,177 times
Seems like so many people get scammed by construction people. Certainly an industry with a bad rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: