Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 02:37 PM

9 posts, read 11,078 times

Advertisements

I use geico for car insurance. For HO, I called all state, state farm and geico. Found that Occidental was sub-contractor for geico. Called Occidental directly and got the lowest price on the same policy (much lower than going thru Geico). For HO, negotiation helped. All came down from their original quotes after I negotiated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 06:57 PM

383 posts, read 664,546 times
Call an independent insurance agent who can quote several different companies. Gecio, State Farm, Allstate only have their own company. Don't always assume Geico is the cheapest. I wrote my brothers insurance to another company and saved him money. He had been Geico for over 40 years.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:11 AM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Did you try Hartford insurance? They quoted my mom HO and auto. If she goes with them she will be saving $2,000 a year. She has travelers currently and they are a rip off. Her HO alone is about $3400 a year.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:05 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Did you try Hartford insurance? They quoted my mom HO and auto. If she goes with them she will be saving $2,000 a year. She has travelers currently and they are a rip off. Her HO alone is about $3400 a year.
I second that. Great experience with Hartford and Geico.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:37 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Different year same shenanigans!!

Auto insurance jumped $350 a year for no reason. According to them it is all across NY state yada yada yada.

Anyone else have a increase like this?

Old 07-24-2018, 07:36 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Different year same shenanigans!!

Auto insurance jumped $350 a year for no reason. According to them it is all across NY state yada yada yada.

Anyone else have a increase like this?
Mine went up $120 from last year on a 2017 car (bught new last summer), which was roughly 10%. Having worked in the insurance business back in the day, I wasn't really surprised. It's with NYCM which is still the best rate I found without having to bundle, which I don't want to do because I like my homeowners ins company. What per cent increase was that $350 over what you paid last year?

In NY individual companies are allowed to raise rates by large percentages "just because" but there's a limit to how many customers they can do that to per year. I found that out with homeowners insurance after 2002. Got hit with a 40% increase one year and then a 30% increase the next. Company blamed it on "post-Katrina risk management." I was waterfront and so no other company would touch the house as a new policy. The third year they dropped me entirely even though I never filed a claim in my life. And yes that was right here on LI.

A hint for anyone who has Cambridge Mutual for homeowners: Ask your agent to quote you for the exact same coverage but run through their Merrimack division instead. In June I saved almost $200 off what my Cambridge renewal premium was, by doing that. It was my agent who suggested it, in fact.

Both companies are owned by the Andover Group but for some reason Merrimack rates are lower. The coverage is identical, so I've no idea why, but I'm not arguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: