Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 05:34 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Oh brother - I feel like stopping by just to experience the ravings of an angry postal wench - LOL! You could actually file a complaint online. I guess if enough people did that, they'd pull her from customer service and put her in the back sorting mail or whatever.
Nah....she's been there for years. I haven't been there in a while but I know by speaking with our daughter she is still there. A couple years ago I was in line and she was spewing her charm so I mentioned loud enough for her to hear to the guy in front of me who was laughing with me that I heard the USPS is requiring all employees to work until 62. Well she starts screaming at him( she thought he said it) that he can go to another post office. We shut up like 8 yr old Catholic school boys afraid of the yardstick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 02:41 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,202,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Nah....she's been there for years. I haven't been there in a while but I know by speaking with our daughter she is still there. A couple years ago I was in line and she was spewing her charm so I mentioned loud enough for her to hear to the guy in front of me who was laughing with me that I heard the USPS is requiring all employees to work until 62. Well she starts screaming at him( she thought he said it) that he can go to another post office. We shut up like 8 yr old Catholic school boys afraid of the yardstick.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha - oh my - I'm going to have to visit your post office now.

Old 09-16-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
Only electronic postage comes with tracking for first class package rate. Your STAMPED mail as you stated in your OP does not come with tracking even if you pay the same rate as electronic postage. Maybe that is confusing YOU?

Electronic postage even has the tracking number on the label, so you wouldn't even have to ask the worker for the tracking since you could read it yourself.
Well like I said - I don't buy postage online. I take my stuff to the post office and give it to them and say mail these and if I know it is stuff that is going to come with tracking I make sure to get the receipt. I just don't like when postal workers rip you off whether by intent or not.

But seriously - these rules? They're ridiculous.

rate charts only: SimplePostageCharts.pdf (new - need suggestions; on some browsers, you need a right-click and "download this file"). FOREVER STAMPS can be used for anything, but what are they currently worth?

47¢ - classic forever stamp
¢ - additional ounce
¢ - wedding invitation stamp (2 oz)
¢ - bad envelope penalty (non-machinable stamp)
34¢ - postcard
$1.15 foreign letter

Note: mail that can’t get through a sorting machine costs more.
A flat, flexible regular or business-sized envelope is cheaper than a flat, flexible manila envelope that needs bigger sorting machines and they are cheaper than thick, inflexible envelopes of the same size and weight that are UNMACHINABLE.
Letters 1st Class 47¢+21¢/oz (10April2016)

Not over:
1 oz $0.47 +21¢/oz. Bad envelope penalty is also 21¢

2 ounces $0.68
3 ounces $0.89
3.5 oz $1.10 Heavier? Go to FLATS (next).

Incrementing 22¢ on 31May2015 with an increased Nonmachinable surcharge ("bad envelope penalty") of 22¢.
Increment back to 21¢ on 10Apr2016; Nonmachinable surcharge ("bad envelope") also back to 21¢
more price history
dates when rates changed (helps you search for historic data)
USPS tables, not the rate calculator: DMM, the Domestic Mail Manual. Go to "Quick Refs" at end of this long pdf doc; stay in "Retail" chapters, we don't qualify for cheap corporate rates.

Rigid object inside? Metal clasp? Button & closure string?
Add non-machinable surcharge ("bad envelope penalty").
Square? Goes though their machines but they can’t tell which way? Add $0.21
Almost square (less than 30% height-width difference)? Add $0.21.
Too skinny? (long length more than 2.5x short)? Add $0.21.
Really cute little one for that note, under 3 ½” or 4¼”?
Hide it! You're illegal. Go home and start over.
Length over 11 ½” ? Height over 6 1/8”? Go to “Flats” (next)
A "Size 14" envelope is OK; Size 10 is normal.
If you want to send someone a stamped, self-addressed envelope ("SSAE")
to return-mail you, it's nice to get a few Size 11 envelopes to put the #10 into.
Thicker than ¼”? Go to “Flats”.
You're a corporation using metered mail? Congratulations! Take off 1¢.
Not a corporation, tired? Sorry. Too bad. Congress gave away its power of oversight and let the Postal Service change rates by itself.

“Flats” (Large 1st Class Envelopes)

1 oz $0.94 Down from 98¢ on 10Apr2016
2 ounces $1.15 Incrementing 21 cents each additional ounce

3 ounces $1.36 (3oz? Fold it & go in a business envelope for 89 cents)
4 ounces $1.57
5 ounces $1.78
6 ounces $1.99
7 ounces $2.20
8 ounces $2.41
9 ounces $2.62
10 ounces $2.83
11 ounces $3.04
12 ounces $3.25
13 ounces $3.46

FLATS:
Over 13 oz? Consider Priority Mail flat-rate envelope.
Your envelope is inflexible, lumpy, not rectangular? Go to “Packages”.

(No rigid, corrugated cardboard in flats for preventing creased photos, sorry.)
If you want to send the photo anyway,
pad the envelope with stiff paper to protect it, & do the flex test:
hang half of the short side over the edge of the table and check that it flexes 1" and back if you press down with your finger.
If the short side is 10 inches long or more, you'd better be able to bend 2".
Length over 15” ? Height over 12”? Go to “Packages”.
Thicker than 3/4"? Go to “Packages"
Under 3/4" but lumpy? Klutz! Go to "Packages", pay more.

Still confused? Make sure your letters are white, your flats are manila envelopes, and read this.

After 10Apr16, reduced 4
¢ on 1st oz & incrementing 21¢ again, not 22¢; 13 oz is $3.46
Note that $3.46 does not roll us back to any price we ever had before.
The per-ounce increment was rolled back exactly, but the starting cost is arbitrary.
Older price history.

Last edited by chattyneighbor; 09-16-2016 at 02:55 PM..

Old 09-16-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I don't work for the post office. I just know the rules, the same ones you claim to know.

First class package rates have been around for YEARS. YEARS. I have been using them for YEARS. Always came with online tracking when purchased online. Not sure what alternate dimension where "It USED TO BE" the same rate, but in this reality there has always been a package rate that was separate to the envelope rate.

And of course there is going to be a difference in price between the package rate and what they call "flats", because they can run flats through the machines so it's cheaper for them. Packages they have to hand stamp and require separate handling. Even so the most expensive package rate for first class is like $4 bucks so the difference you are talking about is so minimal. And that difference gives you FREE tracking so IMO worth every penny especially if you sell online.

And again you are WRONG when you say you can't get tracking for first class packages. I send out 4oz FIRST CLASS packages WITH tracking every day. It's about $2.50-$3.00 give or take a few cents. Are you telling me the tracking I get that starts with a 9 is a big illusion? lolllllll

The postal worker tried to get you to pay more for certified because you showed up with STAMPED MAIL. That's the only way to get tracking when you use stamps. What part of that don't you understand?
No I didn't. I showed up with a tiny envelope and told him I wanted to mail it and needed the receipt with the tracking because sometimes they don't give you the receipt if you don't ask for one. I was buying the postage.

LOL - PACKAGE rate is different then FIRST CLASS rate - I think this is where we are having our miscommunication. You are not paying for First class if you are paying $2.50 to mail 4 ounces - you are paying PACKAGE RATE which used to be parcel post and that comes with tracking.

IF your 4 ounces thing is flat you could just put a couple stamps on it and you're good to go - that's first class and you wouldn't get tracking unless online stamps come with tracking too - but I tend to think that's not actually tracking - its only the bar code for your purchase.

Last edited by chattyneighbor; 09-16-2016 at 02:59 PM..

Old 09-16-2016, 03:50 PM

537 posts, read 1,448,502 times
Quote:
No I didn't. I showed up with a tiny envelope and told him I wanted to mail it and needed the receipt with the tracking because sometimes they don't give you the receipt if you don't ask for one. I was buying the postage.

LOL - PACKAGE rate is different then FIRST CLASS rate - I think this is where we are having our miscommunication. You are not paying for First class if you are paying $2.50 to mail 4 ounces - you are paying PACKAGE RATE which used to be parcel post and that comes with tracking.

IF your 4 ounces thing is flat you could just put a couple stamps on it and you're good to go - that's first class and you wouldn't get tracking unless online stamps come with tracking too - but I tend to think that's not actually tracking - its only the bar code for your purchase.

My god you really don't know what you are talking about. So you saying there is no such thing as a first class package rate? Then what do you call this? One of my shipments from this week. A 4 oz FIRST CLASS PACKAGE. Rate was $2.60.

And wow look at that. USPS Tracking with First Class! Amazing!

: smack:
Attached Thumbnails
USPS workers ON LONG ISLAND getting worse and worse-firstclasspackage.jpg  

Old 09-16-2016, 04:05 PM

537 posts, read 1,448,502 times
Quote:

And I'll say it again for the third time now. Only ELECTRONIC postage gives you tracking for first class and it only applies to the first class package rate and not for flats. Not stamped mail and not postage bought at the post office. If you buy at the post office you need to pay to certify or upgrade to priority. What part of that don't you understand? You have people at the post office telling you this. People online. Are you really that naive that you can't comprehend a simple rule?

And here's another rule I am sure you don't know. If you pay for a first class package rate online and ship an envelope or what they consider a "flat" they are supposed to return the item to you. Package rates apply to anything 3/4" or bigger but they also have a 3/4" minimum. So if you are shipping something "flat" and want online tracking, many sellers will add a packing peanut to the package so it's "thick enough". Go figure. I am sure this probably confused you even more but maybe it will be useful to others here that actually comprehend the rules.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:36 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
And I'll say it again for the third time now. Only ELECTRONIC postage gives you tracking for first class and it only applies to the first class package rate and not for flats. Not stamped mail and not postage bought at the post office. If you buy at the post office you need to pay to certify or upgrade to priority. What part of that don't you understand? You have people at the post office telling you this. People online. Are you really that naive that you can't comprehend a simple rule?

And here's another rule I am sure you don't know. If you pay for a first class package rate online and ship an envelope or what they consider a "flat" they are supposed to return the item to you. Package rates apply to anything 3/4" or bigger but they also have a 3/4" minimum. So if you are shipping something "flat" and want online tracking, many sellers will add a packing peanut to the package so it's "thick enough". Go figure. I am sure this probably confused you even more but maybe it will be useful to others here that actually comprehend the rules.
One complication is that the post office seldom adheres to all it's own rules.

If so I'd say a good 25-35% of post cards, flats, and 1st class packages over 16 oz would be returned to sender. I think it's just not worth the battle for them.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
One complication is that the post office seldom adheres to all it's own rules.

If so I'd say a good 25-35% of post cards, flats, and 1st class packages over 16 oz would be returned to sender. I think it's just not worth the battle for them.
So true - they can't even keep up with their own regs. Still on ongoing battle sending DVDS via Media. Their own website still said one thing but depending on which post office you go to - some will send them media some say media isn't for DVDs. You have to shop around.

I finally filed a written complaint about the idiot who started me off on this thread because it seems he's stupid and rude AND LAZY too - needed some stamps and asked to see what they had and he pulls out flags that he had on his desk and says this is all we have. I Went to the next window and got some cool star trek stamps which the worker there had to pull out from his draw and he showed me a few styles. Seriously - $10 per sheet of stamps now - I at least want my choice of ones I like. If the guy is too lazy to pull out a bag to show me or walk to the back to get some - presuming he really did only have flags - he doesn't deserve a paycheck. Plus I should have complained after the first incident that set me up but I dealt him a break for stupidity even though he might have just been trying to con me. But there's no excuse for plain lazy.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:59 PM

615 posts, read 448,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The government is increasingly filled with affirmative action hires that may or may not be the most qualified applicants for the job. Everything is gradually breaking down in this country as our bureaucracy more closely resembles that of a third world nation.
^ This

Old 09-22-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
^ This

Yes. That.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island