Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 02:33 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
How they arrived at these choices:

How Money Finds the Best Places to Live in America

Looks like they had to cherry pick when it came to the parameters for the next elimination:

This explains a lot. But also answers why they seem to alway put Weston at the top. Every year all these "survey's" keep putting Weston as best place to live in Fla. Best place to raise a family. But honestly as for "diversity" there the numbers have to be skewed. One of the reasons we chose to leave there after living there for 7 years was the fact that hardly anyone there spoke English! The people that drive in Weston...they drive like they do in their Native countries!

Have you even seen the way they drive in Buenos Aires? Most people that live in Weston are from Venezuela & Argentina. They drive like nuts!

They drive like it is a free-for-all! They do NOT care if there are pedestrians around. The wars between bike riders & car drivers is very real there now. They do not follow ANY rules of the roads in America. First come first serve attitudes.

But we still loved it despite that.And always felt it deserved all its #1 ratings. But do hear from people we know that still live there that it is worse now. For these few things. And honestly the crime numbers have to be skewed there as well. The city I believe does make sure many daily crimes don't get reported down there. As they have seen an upswing of break-ins. Car thefts. People stealing stuff out of cars...even right at the gas pumps!

Lots more illegals there than we ever had up here. But from what we can all see LI has been getting worse & worse in that respect. And we know they can't get regular on the books jobs. So down there stealing was ALWAYS their FT job. They needed to do it to pay food food or housing. Now they steal cars & put them up on CL & FB pages for sale right away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 04:43 AM

402 posts, read 518,804 times
We recently moved to Oyster Bay for more space and i have to say, we absolutely love it here. It has a very small town feel where residents (regardless of their ethnicity and socio economic status) are willing to help you. We feel blessed to be able to walk to the beach every morning, kayak whenever we want, go on the boat etc. Its a very outdoorsy area with people who like to be active. My only gripe is the town needs more restaurants, although we have two opening up soon. Overall, we have found the residents extremely involved with wanting to preserve the Main Street area and have experienced more pride in this town, than i have seen in others.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:30 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
This explains a lot. But also answers why they seem to alway put Weston at the top. Every year all these "survey's" keep putting Weston as best place to live in Fla. Best place to raise a family. But honestly as for "diversity" there the numbers have to be skewed. One of the reasons we chose to leave there after living there for 7 years was the fact that hardly anyone there spoke English! The people that drive in Weston...they drive like they do in their Native countries!

Have you even seen the way they drive in Buenos Aires? Most people that live in Weston are from Venezuela & Argentina. They drive like nuts!

They drive like it is a free-for-all! They do NOT care if there are pedestrians around. The wars between bike riders & car drivers is very real there now. They do not follow ANY rules of the roads in America. First come first serve attitudes.

But we still loved it despite that.And always felt it deserved all its #1 ratings. But do hear from people we know that still live there that it is worse now. For these few things. And honestly the crime numbers have to be skewed there as well. The city I believe does make sure many daily crimes don't get reported down there. As they have seen an upswing of break-ins. Car thefts. People stealing stuff out of cars...even right at the gas pumps!

Lots more illegals there than we ever had up here. But from what we can all see LI has been getting worse & worse in that respect. And we know they can't get regular on the books jobs. So down there stealing was ALWAYS their FT job. They needed to do it to pay food food or housing. Now they steal cars & put them up on CL & FB pages for sale right away.
Weston is close to 90% white and Hispanic, with the Hispanic component being heavily from Argentina and Venezuela. People from those two countries have among the most European admixture (I.E., they are more white) in South America. So that might explain the lower crime rate.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:01 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thgreatalex View Post
We recently moved to Oyster Bay for more space and i have to say, we absolutely love it here. It has a very small town feel where residents (regardless of their ethnicity and socio economic status) are willing to help you. We feel blessed to be able to walk to the beach every morning, kayak whenever we want, go on the boat etc. Its a very outdoorsy area with people who like to be active. My only gripe is the town needs more restaurants, although we have two opening up soon. Overall, we have found the residents extremely involved with wanting to preserve the Main Street area and have experienced more pride in this town, than i have seen in others.
Good to hear a positive experience in the village. Keep in mind the ranking is for the Town of Oyster Bay.

Old 09-21-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Weston is close to 90% white and Hispanic, with the Hispanic component being heavily from Argentina and Venezuela. People from those two countries have among the most European admixture (I.E., they are more white) in South America. So that might explain the lower crime rate.
Yes I am aware of that. The Hispanics there in Weston were not like the Hispanics we are seeing here on LI right now. They are well educated professionals. Not illegals at all. But crime right now has gone up in recent years. But most seems to go unreported. Lots of people feel the City is trying to suppress any & all crime as much as they can. To keep it on the top of Best Place to Live. And preserve the property values. I am hearing lots of crimes these days daily these now. Things like car break ins. Petty thefts. People being robbed while they are pumping gas. They are saying people should lock their car doors while pumping has. and not leave anything in cars. Especially visible. But that should ALWAYS be the case. Even in the safest of neighborhoods.

But Weston is always a prime target in So. Fla. As everyone says. "That is where the money is in So. Fla"

And the residents there feel so safe that they are careless. Leaving car doors unlocked right in their driveways.Thieves seem to be walking up blocks & just trying every car in every driveway there. Figuring eventually they will find an unlocked one. Most times they DO. This has been caught on many residents security cameras as so many people started to install them after being victims. These cameras are catching the same people going house to house.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:51 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Go Long Island!

Huntington and Oyster Bay made the list

MONEY's Best Places to Live 2016 Rankings

I grew up in Oyster Bay. It has wonderful history, sense of place, diverse architecture, beaches, good schools and diversity.

Huntington is another of my favorite places on Long Island. Great arts scene, night life, and the beauty and history factor.

Locking cars? My parents never did. In fact, in the 60's and 70's, they only locked the house at night.

It's different from the rest of suburbia. So is Huntington. Not as bland or full of ugly strip mall sprawl.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:12 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thgreatalex View Post

I'm so happy that you are enjoying life in Oyster Bay! I grew up there in the 60s, 70s and 80's. We also had a boat, and I learned to swim and water ski at an early age. People are outdoorsy, and yes, the beach and being able to kayak when you want. When I grew up, we ice skated on Mill Pond. It was all very "Norman Rockwellesque". In a good way.

People in the Village of Oyster Bay absolutely do take pride in their unique and historic hamlet. And yes, it is more diverse than most of Long Island, socially, ethnically, and economically.
Life is not all about "the Mall".

I always thought there were some very good restaurants in town. How many restaurants are there now? Is Al Dente still there?

For more diverse restaurants, nearby Glen Cove and Locust Valley have a good selection, as does Syosset.

Old 09-22-2016, 12:31 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Are you kidding me? Venezuela is one of the most dangerous countries in Latin America, while Ecuador for instance is more indigenous and is one of the safest countries in Latin America and is more indigenous.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Are you kidding me? Venezuela is one of the most dangerous countries in Latin America, while Ecuador for instance is more indigenous and is one of the safest countries in Latin America and is more indigenous.
Well we lived in Weston for 7 years. Had great next door neighbors the whole time that were from Caracas. They were awesome neighbors. For the first month there we had problems though. They had family living there & the owners only lived there part of the year. And they were mostly young HS kids too. The HOA finally contacted them as it was not legal. Guess sometimes it does pay to have an HOA!

But after that 1st bad month everything was fine. The owners daughter & her husband moved in & just the 2 of them for rest of time we lived there. Her husband was always traveling back & forth from Venezuela for work. Really only home like 20% of the time. And every time he came home he always bought us gifts! Mostly Chocolate.But they were always kind. Then during last few years we lived there they had a baby. She kept feeling so bad & buying us gifts all the time & apologizing. Because the baby was a screamer! But we told her we NEVER heard a peep. Which we didn't.

We never had a problem with them really or any of the tons of Venezuelans that we lived around. And Weston is mostly comprised of Venezuelans. Hence the nickname Weston-Zuela. At first when we heard it called that by people we thought people would take it as an insult. Then my neighbors told me they all thought it was "endearing".

But we never the whole time we were there were a victim of any crime or felt unsafe & we were surrounded by people from Venezuela. In fact most of them went out of their way to be nice. Guess unlike the Hispanics that are coming to LI now....the Hispanics from Venezuela actually seem to truly come here for a better life.And not bring the crime,gangs & drugs mentality with them. I am sure there are some that do though.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:11 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
What's relevant is who is coming to the US, not who is still living there. The indigenous population is far less likely to have the wherewithal to move to a relatively costly place like Weston, as opposed to the white population which has been fleeing for the last 15+ years after the Bolivarian Revolution. The Revolution and its aftermath caused the country to descend into chaos, and the white-Hispanic middle class has been hightailing it out of there ever since.

Venezuelan Exodus: Middle-Class Flees for United States | Fusion

Quote:
Like her, most Venezuelans arrive in the U.S. on tourist visas and then stay legally — or illegally if they can’t secure a lengthier visa. Florida is the primary destination, since it’s only three hours away by plane.

Around 19,800 Venezuelans arrived at Miami International Airport from February 15 to 28, 2014 according to the Associated Press. That’s up from the 18,500 who arrived during the same period in 2013.

The cities of Doral and Weston in Florida have become hotspots for Venezuelans in the U.S. Most are young professionals or young parents looking to open their own business. According to the Pew Research Center, 51 percent of Venezuelans that come to the United States have a bachelor’s degree. That’s double the average education level for U.S.-born Hispanics.
These are not the same class of people who are joining MS-13 in Brentwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island