Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 10:15 AM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times

Advertisements

Think they'll be a flood of folks moving to Hicksville who see Town of Oyster Bay is on the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 11:59 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Think they'll be a flood of folks moving to Hicksville who see Town of Oyster Bay is on the list?
Aw people have such a dim view of Hicksville, but the residential neighborhoods are perfectly nice and along the same lines as neighboring communities. It's relatively affordable and the schools aren't amazing but they aren't horrific. I can see it as a perfectly reasonable choice for a lot of people.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:19 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
No they are most certainly not the same class of people Interlude. You are correct. The Venezuelans & mostly all of the Hispanics that moved to Weston (Doral as well) are quite classy people. Much nicer than most of us. They do not do anything like what is going on in Brentwood. They actually DO come here for a better life for themselves & their families. And get jobs & work for their money. They don't steal cars & sell them online on the many Buy/Sell FB groups that are popping up here on LI now.

They don't come here & join gangs. Deal Drugs. Commit crimes. Kill people. And they most certainly are not destroying the communities the way we see it here. In fact Weston is what it is BECAUSE of the Venezuelans that moved there really. As well as the many people from Argentina too...but they drive horribly!! It is like a free for all there driving! They drive just like they do in Buenos Aires. They don't follow the rules of the road here.

Old 09-22-2016, 04:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Are you kidding me? Venezuela is one of the most dangerous countries in Latin America, while Ecuador for instance is more indigenous and is one of the safest countries in Latin America and is more indigenous.
Chances are the ones committing the criminal acts in Venezuela are not the ones migrating to the US.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Aw people have such a dim view of Hicksville, but the residential neighborhoods are perfectly nice and along the same lines as neighboring communities. It's relatively affordable and the schools aren't amazing but they aren't horrific. I can see it as a perfectly reasonable choice for a lot of people.
Oh, there is somewhere for everyone, no doubt. I was referring to Hicksville's position as one of the purported 50 best places in America to live. Town of Oyster Bay was on the list.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:39 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Oh, there is somewhere for everyone, no doubt. I was referring to Hicksville's position as one of the purported 50 best places in America to live. Town of Oyster Bay was on the list.
But wouldn't you agree that, taken as a whole, the Town of Oyster Bay is a pretty great place to live, Town of Huntington, too? *on the whole*

Old 09-23-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
But wouldn't you agree that, taken as a whole, the Town of Oyster Bay is a pretty great place to live, Town of Huntington, too? *on the whole*
TOB, taken as a whole placed in the US top 50? No. But some of its villages and hamlets (if I could afford it) would be in a realistic top 50 places in the country to live. Such as Lattingtown, Oyster Bay Cove, Mill Neck, etc. Perhaps unaffordable but definitely very nice. TOB is a very large area to make a sweeping judgement. One could construct criteria to place TOB (or any other area) in any top 50 list I guess.
Huntington's designation on the list was very different and involves some ill-defined 18k swath.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:29 AM

198 posts, read 252,422 times
Quote:
Yeah I think so ...

Old 09-24-2016, 10:28 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Go Long Island!

Huntington and Oyster Bay made the list

MONEY's Best Places to Live 2016 Rankings
These lists by Money magazine are a joke because they always consider "DIVERSITY" as a requirement for their so called best places.

A few years ago "Baldwin" was on their list.

Complete joke.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:50 AM

251 posts, read 168,926 times
A bit of a fantasy list

No N.arizona, S.Utah, N.California and plenty more.

Of some of the places that made the list I was not impressed at all
they missed culture, climate, natural beauty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island