Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 11:17 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Ever notice some of these companies can't manage to keep employees for more than a a year or so? These are companies doing a nice business on Long Island, make some decent bucks, hiring a dozen or more people - yet nobody stays. A few months, a year maybe two at most.

Where are they all going? Why can't these companies keep their employees happy? Or is it that they can't find decent help and have to keep firing everyone? Or maybe they're just completely dysfunctional but somehow manage to keep their business floating and dollars coming in despite their chaotic management.

Just seems like if you try and find a contact in a LI business - they're usually gone. Directories are never current because personnel changes so rapidly.

Except civil service jobs. And those are the people you'd actually like to get rid of.

Do you have any evidence that your observations are grounded in facts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 11:20 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,586,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Do you have any evidence that your observations are grounded in facts?
I was wondering the same thing. Is the premise that Long Island employers have greater turnover than other employers a truth? Or is it just "truthy" (e.g. something that sounds like it should be true based on a subjective, personal-experienced based perspective, but isn't)?

Old 09-24-2016, 08:43 PM

283 posts, read 581,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Low salaries, no benefits or lousy ones, a big staff of part-time employees working at the same company without healthcare, 401K, etc. This is the new economy. The workers consist of people who are "supplementing" the prime breadwinner in the family. Without the commute into the city, they can pick up the milk on the way home, prepare dinner, pick up the kids, etc. The boss cuts their hours and then they move over to a competitor. Rinse, repeat. Small companies can do this because there are so many people here who were displaced, perpetually looking, went in and out of the workforce, and their backgrounds do not get accurately reflected in all the statistics about employment or unemployment. These people are for whatever reason, locked into Long Island and they are biding their time until whenever.
Agree with this. Most of the jobs on LI are low paying , poor benefits, and just as busy / stressful as a city job. I very much agree most of these jobs are just supplementing the breadwinners income. It's really tough to find a decent position with good benefits.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:41 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
Ever notice some of these companies can't manage to keep employees for more than a a year or so? These are companies doing a nice business on Long Island, make some decent bucks, hiring a dozen or more people - yet nobody stays. A few months, a year maybe two at most.

Where are they all going? Why can't these companies keep their employees happy? Or is it that they can't find decent help and have to keep firing everyone? Or maybe they're just completely dysfunctional but somehow manage to keep their business floating and dollars coming in despite their chaotic management.
That is not always true. I work on Long Island. At the firm that I work for, many employees stay there for their entire career. We have extremely low turnover. On the other hand, my peers that have jobs in the city, on their first day at a new job, they start looking for their next job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
This.

I left a small law firm on LI for a higher paying job in the city. I was there 9 months. Plus most small LI businesses force employees to pay crazy premiums for health insurance. The solo I worked for had a crappy insurance plan where almost $500 was deducted from my paycheck every month just for basic coverage (and I didnt have dental!)
Again, I've seen the opposite. In my field, firms in the city tend to offer lousy and expensive health insurance plans, whereas the firm that I work for on LI gives decent coverage.

Old 09-26-2016, 09:48 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,450 times
There are not that many large, national corporations on the island that pay well and have great benefits so much people work in the city. Plain and simple. We hired someone a few years ago who worked at one of LI companies, with a master's degree in accounting, this guy was making peanuts, when we hired him, we gave him 34% increase over what he was making, and this is on salary alone, for our company, this was on the low end of the range for the job, and then, at the end of the year, he received 18% bonus on his new base and 18% increase and has been rising steadily since. No check deductions from health insurance, no in-network deductible and no in-network co-insurance also helps!

Old 09-26-2016, 10:20 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
There are not that many large, national corporations on the island that pay well and have great benefits so much people work in the city. Plain and simple. We hired someone a few years ago who worked at one of LI companies, with a master's degree in accounting, this guy was making peanuts, when we hired him, we gave him 34% increase over what he was making, and this is on salary alone, for our company, this was on the low end of the range for the job, and then, at the end of the year, he received 18% bonus on his new base and 18% increase and has been rising steadily since. No check deductions from health insurance, no in-network deductible and no in-network co-insurance also helps!
Though his quality if life is likely worse. And, a lot of that raise is eaten up by LIRR fares and by the need for more formal clothing, and perhaps needing to pay others to do things that he was previously able to do himself when he had more free time.

By the way, at my job on LI, we also have no in-network deductible and no in-network co-insurance (although we do have a check deduction for the insurance). But even with no check deduction for insurance it is still not really free, since if you weren't providing health insurance, you'd be paying higher salaries. So you just found a stealthy way to claim that insurance is "free".

Old 09-28-2016, 05:04 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
But even with no check deduction for insurance it is still not really free, since if you weren't providing health insurance, you'd be paying higher salaries. So you just found a stealthy way to claim that insurance is "free".
Actually, most data tends to show that people consider jobs primarily by considering the salary; not so much considering benefits. Salary expectations tend not to reflect benefits provided.

Therefore, salaries don't go down when benefits go up. Also, statistically, the cost of benefits tend to be substantially lower, to the employer, than the value of the benefit is to the employee.

But, you're correct, it's not really free but it is practically free to the employee.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:55 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,046 times
Quote:
That is not always true. I work on Long Island. At the firm that I work for, many employees stay there for their entire career. We have extremely low turnover. On the other hand, my peers that have jobs in the city, on their first day at a new job, they start looking for their next job.

Again, I've seen the opposite. In my field, firms in the city tend to offer lousy and expensive health insurance plans, whereas the firm that I work for on LI gives decent coverage.
Then you are in the minority. Almost every law firm I have interviewed with, rec'd offers from, or have heard about anecdotally from coworkers/friends in my 11 years of practicing law- have proved the opposite. The only reason my current salary is competitive w/ my peers in Manhattan is because I work for a global insurance company that doesn't differentiate salaries between LI, NJ and NYC offices. If I were to interview w/ other law firms seeking attorneys w/ my experience level, the salaries would definitely be lower (and recruiters who've reached out to me on LinkedIn have admitted the same re: chances of getting my current salary elsewhere on LI is pretty low).

Old 09-28-2016, 08:20 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
It seems fairly obvious that LI employers understand the value of NOT commuting to NYC and factor that into salaries. Benefits seem to be worse on LI because industry is barely holding steady or falling, not expanding so it's a seller's market.

NYC has much more competition (including attracting talent from educated areas like LI), so understandably can (and has to) offer better compensation to make up for the costs and quality of life issues. They want good talent, they have to offer more to attract it. LI companies just have to be hiring at all and someone skilled who is sick of commuting will make that personal choice to put personal time over money. It's a very personal choice and never easy when there are bills to pay.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:08 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:

In my field, salary & benefits are awful on LI. I love the perks in my job, its a dream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island