Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:36 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
By the way, for those bringing up the commute. We are 10 (TEN) miles from my husband's Queens job. It takes him 1.1 hours to get to work. Leaving at 6:55am. Is that even fair for being exactly in the same county? Not at all. Therefore, what commute argument can Queens make vs any other hideous commute location? I see about 0 right now.

It is just murder. I cant even. And from our house, it sometimes takes me at least 90 mins to get to Bay Ridge in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Sometimes longer. Now these places are just 10-12 miles from me.

So when we discuss hideous commutes - he already has one being right next door! So what's the difference...

I get your points but this quality of life doesn't make any sense. That's why I left my Manhattan job.
The difference can worst as bad as you may feel it is now. On top of that, how much will tolls will all of driving add up to? Tolls will only go up in the future. Have you timed the commute for your husbands job from westchester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 11:12 AM

428 posts, read 969,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
The difference can worst as bad as you may feel it is now. On top of that, how much will tolls will all of driving add up to? Tolls will only go up in the future. Have you timed the commute for your husbands job from westchester?
Yes, it's 1 hour. Just like from where we are now on the devilish Van Wyck expressway.

Maybe you're right. Even if we visit family and friends in Mass or DC or head to the airport, that's once every 3 months. Vs fighting the mega traffic that Westchester would cause vs L.I. But that alone can't be the deciding factor according to my husband.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:29 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
So the commute will be a pill no matter how you slice it and dice it. Where do you feel will give you the best quality of life? That's the real question, airport access, visiting aunt whoever every few months should not be a factor. Write it out and see which looks better and go with it.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:31 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,942,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
So the commute will be a pill no matter how you slice it and dice it. Where do you feel will give you the best quality of life? That's the real question, airport access, visiting aunt whoever every few months should not be a factor. Write it out and see which looks better and go with it.
Right, if commute and housing expenses are just about equal, then it's just a matter of preference in terms of house/lot size, extracurricular acrivities, school district quality, sense of community (friendly/unfriendly), access to shops (mom&pop vs big box), and surrounding environment(woods vs beaches).

Old 09-28-2016, 10:18 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
Quote:
Fair enough, for you, yes. You sound very pro queens and anti-L.I. I happen to love L.I., and I realize it may have bad traffic in pockets. Nothing like Queens + the congestion. For our family, we are not interested in Queens.
I am from Queens also and we moved to the Huntington area over 6 years ago. We love it. We dread dread dread going back to Queens or Brooklyn (but do it often enough for family). And yes, Long Island traffic is NOTHING compared to Queens and Brooklyn traffic. We love it out here, and feel so relaxed when we get home, which is why we chose here. We did briefly consider Westchester and that direction, but decided against it due to bridge and truck traffic when we want to visit family in Queens. The LIE Is nothing traffic wise, except when you get around Queens on the LIE. That's where the insanity starts. But at that point you are close enough to Queens to tolerate it.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
We do. We currently live 5-10 mins from JFK. That's the only thing we'll miss besides the nostalgia of memories made.

Thank you for your opinion! We've thought about that. We fly and have family flying in every 3 months I'd say (whether we fly out or pick someone up).

What airport does your cousin use? We sometimes use Islip for SW airlines to FLL.

But all of our family/friends are in Queens or DC or Mass, so we also considered not being stuck on the island. We don't have family or friends on the island so that's one reason.
And flying out of MacArthur is amazingly easy, compared to JFK and Laguardia! It feels like your own private airport!!!

Old 09-28-2016, 10:23 PM

Quote:
By the way, for those bringing up the commute. We are 10 (TEN) miles from my husband's Queens job. It takes him 1.1 hours to get to work. Leaving at 6:55am. Is that even fair for being exactly in the same county? Not at all. Therefore, what commute argument can Queens make vs any other hideous commute location? I see about 0 right now.

It is just murder. I cant even. And from our house, it sometimes takes me at least 90 mins to get to Bay Ridge in Brooklyn and Manhattan. Sometimes longer. Now these places are just 10-12 miles from me.

So when we discuss hideous commutes - he already has one being right next door! So what's the difference...

I get your points but this quality of life doesn't make any sense. That's why I left my Manhattan job.
The commute won't be that much longer and however longer, it will be well worth it when you get home to your quiet house and lovely town and property! People who don't live in Queens do not understand how long it takes to get from Point A to Point B regarding traffic. It's a world of a difference than LI traffic, I can assure you.

Feel free to send me a private message if you would like to chat privately.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:58 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:

You're adding in more gas purchases per month, the cost of the tolls, and the excessive wear and tear on the car into the equation? When gas goes back up to $4 a gallon and the tolls go up again, have you factored these things into your budget? Tires wear faster, need to change oil, etc more often. Think about it. It's not just time.

There'a big difference between going 20 miles a day and 50-60 miles a day...not sure how flexible his job is but think about how weather can affect commute and the ability to even get to work when it rains or snows as well.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:58 AM

55 posts, read 44,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I am from Queens also and we moved to the Huntington area over 6 years ago. We love it. We dread dread dread going back to Queens or Brooklyn (but do it often enough for family). And yes, Long Island traffic is NOTHING compared to Queens and Brooklyn traffic. We love it out here, and feel so relaxed when we get home, which is why we chose here. We did briefly consider Westchester and that direction, but decided against it due to bridge and truck traffic when we want to visit family in Queens. The LIE Is nothing traffic wise, except when you get around Queens on the LIE. That's where the insanity starts. But at that point you are close enough to Queens to tolerate it.

I agree that Huntington can be a great place to live, especially if you're coming from Queens or Manhattan. But the airplane traffic has gone up significantly in the past couple of years. That doesn't bother you Glad2BHere? Have you noticed sometimes it could be every 3-4 minutes that you'll hear a plane above you? It may not be as bad as the Roslyn area, but it's getting there.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackieavenue View Post
I agree that Huntington can be a great place to live, especially if you're coming from Queens or Manhattan. But the airplane traffic has gone up significantly in the past couple of years. That doesn't bother you Glad2BHere? Have you noticed sometimes it could be every 3-4 minutes that you'll hear a plane above you? It may not be as bad as the Roslyn area, but it's getting there.
Absolutely the first time I have heard of this and do not experience any air traffic at all where I am. Absolutely not the case. I lived in Nassau. I know what heavy plane traffic is and we have almost zero air traffic where I am in Huntington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island