Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 06:16 PM

80 posts, read 306,608 times

Advertisements

Northport is a great choice, as would be all the other areas that people have mentioned which have had POOR WALTER GREENSPAN SCRAMBLING ALL OVER THE MAP FOR HAMLET INFORMATION.

Northport taxes used to be lower than in neighboring areas given LIPA subsidies, though that may have changed.

If your husband hates driving he'll love the train if he can endure a 90-120 minute train ride (add another half hour for subways or buses depending where in Manhattan he will be working). How "endurable" the commute by train is can also be defined by the parking experience, which depends largely on what time he will be traveling. Also whether he can sleep or read or work with the distractions of fellow passengers - de rigour on the LIRR - though if he's a "player" he may welcome the distractions of the Syosset crowd, who seem to hold regular loud and lively card games, much to the consternation of the semi-comatose Port Jefferson folk who could be mistaken for corpses by the time he boards. (Don't hate people, there are much worse generalizations about Long Islanders out there on this board!)

Good news about Northport, etc. for cancer victims is Memorial Sloan Kettering - if Manhattan's East 60s facility is hard to get to they also have an outpatient clinic in Rockville Center.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:40 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,271 times
Default Wonderful contribution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Northport is a great choice, as would be all the other areas that people have mentioned which have had POOR WALTER GREENSPAN SCRAMBLING ALL OVER THE MAP FOR HAMLET INFORMATION.

Northport taxes used to be lower than in neighboring areas given LIPA subsidies, though that may have changed.

If your husband hates driving he'll love the train if he can endure a 90-120 minute train ride (add another half hour for subways or buses depending where in Manhattan he will be working). How "endurable" the commute by train is can also be defined by the parking experience, which depends largely on what time he will be traveling. Also whether he can sleep or read or work with the distractions of fellow passengers - de rigour on the LIRR - though if he's a "player" he may welcome the distractions of the Syosset crowd, who seem to hold regular loud and lively card games, much to the consternation of the semi-comatose Port Jefferson folk who could be mistaken for corpses by the time he boards. (Don't hate people, there are much worse generalizations about Long Islanders out there on this board!)

Good news about Northport, etc. for cancer victims is Memorial Sloan Kettering - if Manhattan's East 60s facility is hard to get to they also have an outpatient clinic in Rockville Center.
Such a welcome piece of input regarding the harbor town of Northport. The concerned cancer reference was particularly inspired...and obnoxious. We await your future postings with much anticipation....

Old 02-27-2008, 11:16 PM

4,419 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootnami View Post
Are you kidding me? Losing that GAP was the best thing that happened to Northport! Plus, have you seen any performances at the new Arts Center? Much better than a movie theater. There are plenty of places to see a movie. Just my opinion.
What's wrong with gap, it was really the only big national apparrel presence there. Gap also caters to probably the largest range of clientele and a wide demographic target. Hopefull, Banana Republic replaces the Gap and Talbots comes in also. Keep the performing arts center, open a new double theatre and Northport is the spot to be on the Northsore.(For the more monied anyway, who probably sometimes want a peaceful respite from Huntington Village.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Such a welcome piece of input regarding the harbor town of Northport. The concerned cancer reference was particularly inspired...and obnoxious. We await your future postings with much anticipation....
As an MSKCC patient I am confused by your remark.

Unless you're an offended employee/academician at Huntington Hospital, a respectable nearby instutition but by no means on par with Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.

Or there's some high incidence of cancer in Northport given the LIPA plant I'm unaware of and I managed to offend the entire Northport populace.

Last edited by blender; 02-28-2008 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-28-2008, 10:07 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
I'm a sensitive person, but I think this is absurd. Your assumption that someone in my family (me) hasn't dealt with this issue is presumptuous. You perceive someone at this end who is cold-hearted and glib.

Lets think of this the other way around; no one knows better than you do just how much I dislike Florida.

Equating the intense dislike for your state of residence (which can be changed without death looming over your door) with Melanoma (or any other life-threatening aggressive cancer which no one wants) is not a good choice for an analogy. I never called you cold hearted or glib; those were your words. Obviously no one is able to read my pain in my words so I tried to be polite and as straight to the point as possible.

My husband received his diagnosis and then came home to our young children -- not knowing if he would see them grow up. I will never forget the lost look in his eyes that day, then the two operations to remove the lymph nodes full of melanoma, and finally how sick he became during treatment.

When you wrote that you would rather be full of melanoma than live in FL, I cried. Honestly, I would rather be anywhere in this world with my husband healthy than watch my husband live day to day with the proverbial sword of Damocles hanging over his head.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I apologize to everyone else for this having gotten off topic. No more on the subject from me.

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 02-28-2008 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Added for clarity

Old 02-29-2008, 06:04 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
You don't need to apologize. Sometimes we let our dislike for a place turn to vitriol, or try to be too witty by half without regard to others. Folks, let's keep it civil.

If you don't mind OhBeeHave I'll keep your family in my prayers.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:15 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
And, so will I

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-01-2008, 06:33 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Default Point of clarification....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
"If your husband hates driving he'll love the train if he can endure a 90-120 minute train ride (add another half hour for subways or buses depending where in Manhattan he will be working). How "endurable" the commute by train is can also be defined by the parking experience, which depends largely on what time he will be traveling."
The longest train ride from Northport to Penn Station is about 75 minutes. And while there are occasional delays it almost never gets close to two hours (maybe once or twice a year). I routinely left my house at about 6:05 AM and would be in my Wall Street office by 7:45 AM.

Also, parking in Northport isn't remotely a problem unless you take a train after 8:00 AM which would place you in the minority.

Old 03-02-2008, 02:17 AM

I stand corrected, I had a 90 minute train ride in my head because that was my door-to-door commute: Centerport garage door to Northport station (no parking problems since I parked before 6am), 8:14am train (lawyer - could get into work after 9:30am), 15 minutes to walk to office from Penn Station (midtown west).

Your husband works midtown east, but that could be 60th and First, in which case a 100-110 minute door to door commute (as opposed to train ride) is definitely possible. HOWEVER, GOING HOME...

I worked LATE, past rush hour express trains. I don't know your husband's hours or what he does for a living. I don't know if LIRR winter service has improved since I moved to Manhattan in 2002, but I recall frequent delays whenever a snowflake hit the track. Obviously, the farther east you live, the greater the odds of something happening to delay your train.

Last edited by blender; 03-02-2008 at 02:36 AM..

Old 03-02-2008, 11:47 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
A lot of commuters from Northport drive to the Huntington train station because there is more service and you do not have to switch trains. It takes about 10-15 minutes to get there and the commute from Huntington is about an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island