Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 04:00 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,104,889 times

Advertisements

or is the NYT over blowing it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/03/ny...bate.html?_r=0

If not then I'm amazed that local officials have let this go on for so many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2016, 04:12 PM

5,263 posts, read 4,701,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
or is the NYT over blowing it?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/03/ny...bate.html?_r=0

If not then I'm amazed that local officials have let this go on for so many years.
Yes. This is no surprise at all. The MS13 problem was greatly reduced from FBI Task force cases decapitating the leadership and years of targeted gang deportations. But now with defacto amnesty and non enforcement (not to mention the surge of "unaccompanied minors") it's back to square one. Sad.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:21 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,380,023 times
I think MS-13 on Long Island is largely overblown as an issue (and I think Brentwood isn't that bad), but that string of murders in Brentwood is concerning.

Perhaps it was a serial killer and not gang related at all, but either way it's sad. There night not be many gang members in Brentwood, but all it takes is one group of maniacs for something like this to happen.

Before we get all xenophobic here, there are NYC neighborhoods with comparable demographics but little to no homicides despite being much more densely populated than Brentwood.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:34 PM

22,615 posts, read 36,516,975 times
It's too bad, Brentwood used to be a lower income area but was not dangerous like it is now. Their HS had a fantastic band program in the 1980s. But no, it does not appear overblown. The murders of those two teenage girls finally brought the problem to light.

Old 10-02-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It's too bad, Brentwood used to be a lower income area but was not dangerous like it is now. Their HS had a fantastic band program in the 1980s. But no, it does not appear overblown. The murders of those two teenage girls finally brought the problem to light.
Just curious, how is it known for sure that it's MS-13?

Old 10-02-2016, 05:05 PM

5,263 posts, read 4,701,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I think MS-13 on Long Island is largely overblown as an issue (and I think Brentwood isn't that bad), but that string of murders in Brentwood is concerning.

Perhaps it was a serial killer and not gang related at all, but either way it's sad. There night not be many gang members in Brentwood, but all it takes is one group of maniacs for something like this to happen.

Before we get all xenophobic here, there are NYC neighborhoods with comparable demographics but little to no homicides despite being much more densely populated than Brentwood.
Seriously just stop, you obviously have zero clue what you are talking about. Serial Killer? LMAO!

YOU go to the terrified residents of Brentwood and tell them it's "not that bad and MS is overblown" then go back to your parent's basement in Baldwin and return to your fantasy land.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:02 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,884,094 times
There's a big gang problem in Brentwood but I don't know to what extent. This is something that's very hard to measure; even for people who live in the area.

I can't picture things getting better. Suffolk PD and most other government workers are overpaid and practically useless. They still haven't solved the Gilgo Beach Serial Killer situation or the Quadruple murder in Wyandanch last year.

Illegal immigration is rampant and will probably not get any better; especially for a "sanctuary city" like Brentwood. On Long Island: Cost of living continues to get worse and worse, quality jobs continue to decline, drugs continue to become more widespread, schools in struggling areas can't afford the influx of immigrant children with non-taxpaying parents and now the gang issues in immigrant areas are coming to light. It's a hot mess!

I know people on this forum are sick and tired of hearing that it's "TIME TO LEAVE LONG ISLAND" but it become more and more obvious as the years drag on.

But for what it's worth, if your in any bad area on Long Island like Brentwood then as long as you mind your own business then you should be fine. I've heard that one of the girls had a beef with the MS-13 (though of course the victims should not be blamed for what happened to them). It's interesting what the investigation will end up revealing (if the SCPD is even competent enough to discover anything)..

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 10-02-2016 at 06:17 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Seriously just stop, you obviously have zero clue what you are talking about. Serial Killer? LMAO!

YOU go to the terrified residents of Brentwood and tell them it's "not that bad and MS is overblown" then go back to your parent's basement in Baldwin and return to your fantasy land.
It's not that far fetched considering there actually have been serial killers on Long Island. I'm not saying that's what it likely is so don't be such an ahole.

Also there are gangs besides MS-13, and I would wager less than half of homicides are even gang related.

As for the MS-13 problem being overblown, it was never really a widespread problem on Long Island. And for that I say it was overblown. Of course this string of homicides, regardless of the perpetrators, is very concerning of course and I hope the violence comes to an end.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
There's a big gang problem in Brentwood but I don't know to what extent. This is something that's very hard to measure; even for people who live in the area.

I can't picture things getting better. Suffolk PD and most other government workers are overpaid and practically useless. They still haven't solved the Gilgo Beach Serial Killer situation or the Quadruple murder in Wyandanch last year.

Illegal immigration is rampant and will probably not get any better; especially for a "sanctuary city" like Brentwood. On Long Island: Cost of living continues to get worse and worse, quality jobs continue to decline, drugs continue to become more widespread, schools in struggling areas can't afford the influx of immigrant children with non-taxpaying parents and now the gang issues in these type of areas are coming to light. It's a hot mess!

I know people on this forum are sick and tired of hearing that it's "TIME TO LEAVE LONG ISLAND" but it become more and more obvious as the years drag on.
Brentwood is not autonomous, so how can it be a sanctuary city?

Old 10-02-2016, 06:15 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,884,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Brentwood is not autonomous, so how can it be a sanctuary city?
Honestly, I don't fully know how that system works but the list of "sanctuary cities" on Long Island are:

Bay Shore, New York
Brentwood, New York
Central Islip, New York
Farmingville, New York
Riverhead, New York
Shirly/Mastic, New York
Uniondale, New York
Westbury, New York

Sanctuary Cities and States Protecting Illegal Aliens in the United States - New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island