Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 04:55 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,815,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
No, certainly not Utopia. I don't know if I have different expectations than people who have lived in L.I. all their lives and have family there. First of all, we're a black and hispanic family - so I laugh at the survival of Huntington Station and Brentwood, etc. I don't know those towns so well, but it's a little funny bordering on racist. That's ok, I know where that all stands. We're not there to make utopia friendships and such - just for a nice neighborhood for my daughter to be raised, have a great school and some good amenities. The amenities in SE Queens are just gross.

I live in SE Queens. I live near Linden. It is certainly not highway robbery. But it happens, I'm sure, every single day. I turn a blind eye and we have for many years. That would be ok if it were just us two - but not ok for continuing to raise our daughter. If we could keep her inside forever? Sure. But not when she wants to prance around as a teen, etc. So for those reasons, Linden is not good enough. And I'm still baffled at how any middle class or lower income family might have money to buy these million dollar Linden properties. They said Jamaica was going to be gentrified soon when I moved here 8 years ago. It's still the same as 10 years ago.

And I get the jumping on NYC. But man, it's a rough life. SO rough. Overcrowding everywhere, everything expensive is nice and becomes polluted. It takes me 1 hour to get to another borough 5 miles away. So exhausting and the schools suck and so do the crowds. So for that reason, you know?
Not being racist, you just didn't catch the reference to 4 young people (2 innocent and talented HS girls) killed in the past 2 or 3 weeks in Brentwood. It's current news here. An MS-13 problem there. I realize LI is as safe as it gets (cause we pay our cops in gold bullion). Perspective. Live in the city, the ease of LI looks appealing at any tax rate. Live on LI a while and the lower taxes, house appreciation and excitement of the city look appealing. The grass is always greener. Either way, for us the grass is expensive!

You sound like you'll do fine. You came on here to rant so you're a LI'er already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 07:44 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,530,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Doubt it will be $10k in property taxes 20 years from now when my kids are off to college. Can easily see it being double that at the current rate of increase.
Long Island is at least subject to the cap. NYC is not.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:17 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,934,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Long Island is at least subject to the cap. NYC is not.
What is this cap?

Old 10-12-2016, 05:52 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,737,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Look into CA's prop 13 and get the ball rolling.
I wish. This was a brilliant move by Californians otherwise they would be in the same boat as we are today!

Old 10-12-2016, 07:25 AM

428 posts, read 967,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think you are comparing apples to oranges. Southeast Queens, Jamaica to Huntington. Your father's area is not known for being one of the better NYC neighborhoods. You want to move on up, I get it. But it wouldn't matter if it were a better neighborhood in NYC or a Long Island town. Move wherever you can get the best deal for what you can afford.
This is the whole point. And I'm only comparing Huntington to his area of Queens bc this is the reality of what we are doing. And his critique doesn't make ANY sense. If I move to Bayside, I'm paying $800K for a nice house with, what, $2K property taxes? Not to mention, I heard Bayside is getting packed like sardines and I can imagine the traffic is still horrendous as always. No quality of life.

How does it make sense for him to say Queens would be better, pay $900K for a house in Bayside (nice) or Linden Blvd (not nice) with an "affordable" $2K property taxes. Has anyone done a mortgage calculation on that? Yea. LI $10K taxes are nothing vs a mortgage on a $800K house. AND THEN I still have to send kids to private school in Bayside or Linden? Hell, even Sunset Park in Brooklyn (not nice) - I'm sure a house over there has super cheap property taxes, but I'm paying $650K for the house. And my good friend was never let out of the house as a kid/teen bc of the neighborhood. Not appealing what so ever.

His argument makes no sense to me. Maybe bc I don't understand the background. Also, quality of life, folks? Maybe I've been too comfortable in Floridian suburbia but it takes a ton of stressful traffic to get around the boroughs. Citylife would be much more appealing if it weren't this crowded. Money or not.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:21 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,530,108 times
Quote:
This is the whole point. And I'm only comparing Huntington to his area of Queens bc this is the reality of what we are doing. And his critique doesn't make ANY sense. If I move to Bayside, I'm paying $800K for a nice house with, what, $2K property taxes? Not to mention, I heard Bayside is getting packed like sardines and I can imagine the traffic is still horrendous as always. No quality of life.

How does it make sense for him to say Queens would be better, pay $900K for a house in Bayside (nice) or Linden Blvd (not nice) with an "affordable" $2K property taxes. Has anyone done a mortgage calculation on that? Yea. LI $10K taxes are nothing vs a mortgage on a $800K house. AND THEN I still have to send kids to private school in Bayside or Linden? Hell, even Sunset Park in Brooklyn (not nice) - I'm sure a house over there has super cheap property taxes, but I'm paying $650K for the house. And my good friend was never let out of the house as a kid/teen bc of the neighborhood. Not appealing what so ever.

His argument makes no sense to me. Maybe bc I don't understand the background. Also, quality of life, folks? Maybe I've been too comfortable in Floridian suburbia but it takes a ton of stressful traffic to get around the boroughs. Citylife would be much more appealing if it weren't this crowded. Money or not.
Property taxes are much higher than $2k on a 900k house in bayside. Plus income tax.

The grain of truth to this is that if you can afford it it's better to have the more expensive house with lower property taxes than vice versa. That's why I envy homeowners in Manhasset.

Old 10-12-2016, 08:28 AM

73 posts, read 79,815 times
Default Reply

Milenia98 I totally understand where you are coming from. I live in Laurelton, Queens now. There is no community feeling and no local activities for children. It is a beautiful area but amenities are lacking. The only plus is the short LIRR ride to Manhattan.You are right about how overcrowded Queens has become. I also want more space and community feeling and just like you I am considering the Huntington area to get it. I guess I could move to a nicer part of Queens but I'm sick of living on top of people.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:07 AM

428 posts, read 967,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Property taxes are much higher than $2k on a 900k house in bayside. Plus income tax.

The grain of truth to this is that if you can afford it it's better to have the more expensive house with lower property taxes than vice versa. That's why I envy homeowners in Manhasset.
That may be true from a financial, investment for the future standpoint. Is that what you're referring to? But quality of life? If Manhattan was affordable, no way I'd raise my daughter there. Packed like sardines, craziness everywhere. No thank you.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:21 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,737,046 times
Quote:
That may be true from a financial, investment for the future standpoint. Is that what you're referring to? But quality of life? If Manhattan was affordable, no way I'd raise my daughter there. Packed like sardines, craziness everywhere. No thank you.
He's referring to Manhasset in northern Nassau (very expensive but lower property taxes compared to comparable areas) not Manhattan.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:03 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,836,173 times
Your father-in-law wouldn't be commenting on your taxes if he actually paid $900k for Queens or Brooklyn himself...

He would realize that he isn't much better off. Buying today, anywhere you are in populous NY, you're F'd either way.

BTW, does he pay $150/mo. for water out there? That's crazy high OMGGGGGGGGG!

Last edited by ovi8; 10-12-2016 at 12:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island