Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 02:28 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Things have been heating up a little bit of late.
Today:
Remains Of Fifth Teenager Found In Brentwood « CBS New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You apparently missed the MS13 gang members hacking up teen aged members of rival gangs.
Yeah I'm aware of that and it's sad. However I was just stating my observations that it seemed like a normal place, even at night. In response to that "just drive around at night and look comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Those ratings are based only off of test scores in relation to the rest of the state. A 5 means that a school is straight in the middle in terms of test averages in comparison to the rest of the state and doesn't mean that the school is bad. It doesn't take school programs, graduation rates, student makeup or anything else into account. Great Schools even has a section explaining this. Ratings | GreatSchools

http://www.greatschools.org/gk/wp-co...ogy_Report.pdf

The murky middle: What an average school rating means | Parenting

10 key questions to ask when choosing an elementary school | Parenting
Thanks for the info! Is that the site most CDers use when judging a school district?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 04:22 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,408 times
Well the news said this morning that a woman was shot in Brentwood around midnight. Will this ever STOP already?

Old 10-21-2016, 06:25 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah I'm aware of that and it's sad. However I was just stating my observations that it seemed like a normal place, even at night. In response to that "just drive around at night and look comment.
One person's observations vs ongoing issues. A family friend and her children are in Brentwood. They've graduated HS but when they were still in school (last child graduated in 2014) they begged to be sent elsewhere. They speak and dress like guttersnipes and have to concern themselves with what colors they wear -- heaven forbid it is offensive to a neighborhood gangsta. These are white, non Hispanic young men and women. With respect to diversity, there is a rainbow of friends surrounding them. That's the positive I see.

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Is that the site most CDers use when judging a school district?
I would recommend utilizing the NYS report cards. https://data.nysed.gov/ It gives a wide array of data from demographics to test scores for districts and by school.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:18 AM

4 posts, read 5,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ With that kind of $ I would get over the "brand new" feeling and buy a starter house in a decent school district.
Have a suggestion that's actually reasonable LIRR commute to Manhattan? Living 15-20+ min to a train plus the ride doesn't really work on our end.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:23 AM

384 posts, read 434,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfg33 View Post
Have a suggestion that's actually reasonable LIRR commute to Manhattan? Living 15-20+ min to a train plus the ride doesn't really work on our end.
What about Deer Park or Kings Park, East Northport?

Old 10-21-2016, 11:48 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
^^ Also look at Lindenhurst and West Babylon for that price range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island