Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 02:17 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times

Advertisements

There is no doubt Ward Melville High School (Three Village School District) has student achievement ranking among the top 15 on Long Island. The district has a significant mass of bright, hard working, high achieving students and a particularly supportive group of parents. 16 NMSF and 29 NMCS last year. Enough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 03:30 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Ok, I'll respectfully defer to your research...but it doesn't seem to jibe with the Newsday article which stated Jericho's AP offerings as more, ([color="Red"]I used last year's figures as they were complete.[color="red"])coupled with Principal Baum's contention that WM has many alternate college level offerings thru _____ colleges (I'd expect him to claim an equal or greater # than the other districts when defending his position...maybe he should hire you). Frankly I don't care much about the particulars and they're all fine schools (with overpaid teachers) to me. My district is weak on AP offerings and pulled a 1.25 score (compared to the big guy's 4+) and the WM Principal seems forthright and reasonable.

My point is more to the hypocritical trend for administrators to love performance metrics for kids, not so much for themselves. I still contend, if their metrics matched your metrics, they'd be posted.
My numbers were culled from the 2015-16 Profile for WM and Jericho HS along with their respective NYS report cards. The information is out there. Baum has his reasons. (Probably less grief from parents lol)

Old 10-31-2016, 04:02 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
There is no doubt Ward Melville High School (Three Village School District) has student achievement ranking among the top 15 on Long Island. The district has a significant mass of bright, hard working, high achieving students and a particularly supportive group of parents. 16 NMSF and 29 NMCS last year. Enough said.
Not putting much shrift in this old list but WM was 22nd and Jericho was #1.
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...gs-2014-a.html I'm a little shocked by OBH's stats but won't argue them (because really, I don't care and also because OBH will link and fact me to death and will be right in the end ). We are all a little silly because our schools start with a pretty high bar and are all pretty good (even if you and I fight to the death about compensation). I just think the Jericho parents would have some mild coronaries if they saw those WM AP/IB numbers ! Maybe they should take some of that Carole Hankin retirement savings and add a few IB courses.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Not putting much shrift in this old list but WM was 22nd and Jericho was #1.
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...gs-2014-a.html I'm a little shocked by OBH's stats but won't argue them (because really, I don't care and also because OBH will link and fact me to death and will be right in the end ). We are all a little silly because our schools start with a pretty high bar and are all pretty good (even if you and I fight to the death about compensation). I just think the Jericho parents would have some mild coronaries if they saw those WM AP/IB numbers ! Maybe they should take some of that Carole Hankin retirement savings and add a few IB courses.
Just call me Linkenstein *EvilGrin*

And yes, I agree we are a little silly about our schools. While I wasn't trying to hype WM (frankly, the numbers came in higher than I anticipated) I was rather curious as to why I had to dig up a class profile to find them.

For giggles I looked up graduating class size for those listed in the article. Syosset at 540 came closest to WM's 600+. There was a 360, 340, 306, 300 x2, 250 with the remainder falling close to or below 200. Quite the disparity in district sizes.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:53 PM

5,057 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
As for the students who had taken AP Exams, the following numbers received honors:

AP Scholars: J - 31; WM - 108
AP Scholar with Honor: J - 48; WM - 60
AP Scholar with Distinction: J - 48; WM - 125
National AP Scholar: J - 4; WM - 30

National AP Scholar: Granted to students in the United States who receive an average score of at least 4 on all AP Exams taken, and scores of 4 or higher on eight or more of these exams
Manhasset, number 2 on the list, has become a high-powered school district.

Folks who don't follow very recent enrollment trends would most likely be surprised that Manhasset, with a senior class size of just 277 (versus 624 at WM) had 29 National AP Scholars.

Similarly, those folks would most likely be surprised that Manhasset had 15 Siemens Competition Semifinalists this year. Syosset was second on LI with 9. Ward Melville 3.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:39 AM

Impressive number of National AP scholars at Manhasset!

Siemens Regional Finalists break down to Teams: 1 team from Manhasset, 1 team from Syosset, 1 team comprised of a student from Smithtown West and a student from Brentwood, a team of students from NY and NJ lead by a student from Jericho; and Individuals: 1 student each from HHHSW, Smithtown East, and Ward Melville.

Eight high schools represented in the regionals! Very proud of these young people and their hard work. The young lady from Brentwood is a ray of hope in that beleaguered area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island