Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 09:22 PM

514 posts, read 438,516 times

Advertisements

A friend who is new to the area received four camera tickets so far. Since he has his DL from another state (out of NY), the ticket was mailed to his out-of-state address and mail forwarded back to NY. His violation is that he didn't come to a dead stop on an intersection where there was no "NO turn on right" sign and he assumed that it was OK to take a right without coming to a dead stop. Now he could've certainly learned his lesson had he received the first of the tickets sooner.

Five tickets ($400 total in fines) in one month is a bit much but he honestly didn't think that he had to come to a complete halt on red when there's no "No turn on red" sign posted.

Does he have any chance of asking for leniency in fine? Anyone has contested or gone to court for these types of tickets..the issue at hand an out of state driver who was not aware of the law..

Or is he doomed to pay and wait for more tickets in the mail? Since he received his first ticket in the mail, he is now simply stopping at the red light and NOT taking a right turn even though I suppose he can take a right after coming to a dead stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 11:22 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Nope. Just pay up. It's much easier.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:01 AM

116 posts, read 172,094 times
yep, ignorance of the law is no excuse. pay up!

Old 11-01-2016, 05:11 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,696,132 times
Maybe from now on, he will pay attention to the signs at intersections

Old 11-01-2016, 05:12 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Nope. If he doesn't know the law, that is his problem. Too many people treat right on red like a yield sign. It's a freaking stop light, and it's red. You aren't looking carefully if you're not stopping - you're glancing to your left, not OK.

Pay up and tell him to take a defensive driving class. He needs it. God only knows what else he doesn't know.

PS The law is the same across the country, not just NY. And tell him no right on red in NYC (ALL boroughs).

Old 11-01-2016, 05:34 AM

731 posts, read 724,908 times
Sounds like your choice of intelligent friends is suspect.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:03 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
I would simply pay all now and learn the lesson. If he tries to plea he will end up getting hammered. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, he will be told.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:32 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times
The "friend" should learn to drive. Rolling through reds gets motorcyclists and pedestrians killed all the time. Red means stop. Flashing red means stop. Red sign means stop. Pretty simple. Come to a complete stop. Look both ways. Proceed w/ turn if clear.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:45 AM

514 posts, read 438,516 times
Thanks you for replies! yes, my friend is a true out of towner like me and we both have not been exposed to the virtues of red light camera tickets. In New England where he is from, in some states there are no red light cameras and I 've seen people taking a right turn when there's no "No turn on red" sign posted without coming to a dead stop and rather kinda rolling into right turn. Since no cameras were installed, unless a cop caught you, you didn't know and that's what happened to my friend.. he truly didn't appreciate the different between taking a right turn after coming to a complete stop vs rolling into right turn..

The other issues he is having now is that he doesn't know how may outstanding ticket there may be in the mail since his driver's license is out of state as he still works out of state and visits temporarily. Should he call the ticket customer service and ask if there are other tickets in the pipeline?

Oh man! I don't envy my friend's position right now!!

He got the ticket on the intersection of 347 (WB - West Bound) and mark tree road, taking right turn onto mark tree road toward the World Setauket Gym..Does anyone else also think that the "No Turn on Red" sign is tilted and not clearly facing the traffic coming from Bel Mead Road and trying to take right on Mark Tree Road? So I suppose he got the ticket for not stopping on the red as opposed to taking a right turn since as far as I can tell the sign "No turn on red" is facing the traffic coming out of market tree road from the Setauket Gym..

Last edited by iamanewuser; 11-01-2016 at 07:56 AM..

Old 11-01-2016, 09:20 AM

215 posts, read 248,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
he honestly didn't think that he had to come to a complete halt on red when there's no "No turn on red" sign posted.
Wait, so there's a "No turn on Red" sign, but he thought it was OK to just roll through without even stopping at all?

???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island