Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 08:04 AM

179 posts, read 304,106 times

Advertisements

Think about it - some of these trains are ridiculously packed where people end up standing in a line throughout the aisles. The conductors can't get through and check tickets, so essentially people with 1 day passes are good to ride the railroad again for free. There probably are enough seats, but fat people spilling over to the middle seat prevents this from happening. This clogs up the row that the conductors walk through.

I think they should make it so that fat people have to buy two tickets IF they sit down. For monthly passes, you flash one ticket and then you flash another one!

Fat shaming DOES work and it's about time we started doing it as a society. ALso if the LIRR does a better job collecting more revenue, there is a smaller fee hike in later years.

Discuss

Old 11-02-2016, 08:05 AM

755 posts, read 1,079,475 times
Some one had to stand on the train this morning.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:12 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
Fat shaming DOES work and it's about time we started doing it as a society. ALso if the LIRR does a better job collecting more revenue, there is a smaller fee hike in later years.
Can you provide at least one example where "fat shaming DOES work?"

It does not work. Let me repeat: IT DOES NOT WORK. It is inefficient, derisive, and it only serves to benefit the people doing the shaming. Making anyone feel less than because of their body habitus doesn't motivate that person to get in shape and lose weight. Only self introspection and an ability and willingness to change does that.

So, get off your pedestal.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:30 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Do I assume skinny people pay half price?

Old 11-02-2016, 08:57 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I've always said, put a scale at the door and charge by the pound.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:01 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Interesting concept, but they're aren't just fat people hogging up more than one seat. The seat hoggers should all pay more when people have to stand.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:02 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
I was once on the train sitting in the aisle seat of the 3-person seats. The window seat was being occupied by a large woman. I'm pretty big guy but I don't take more than one seat. So at the next stop some massive guy who could barely walk tapped me on the shoulder to take the middle seat. I was like wtf? Is this a joke? Whatever, I wasn't going to be that a-hole that denies someone a seat so I got up without giving the man any sort of nasty look but once he sat down and got settled he took 1 3/4 seats! There was no room for me to sit. I wasn't going to let him take the entire row to I sat down and part of my butt was on his leg. He was uncomfortable and moved over a bit and make the lady next to him uncomfortable. All three of us were cramped but I was not going to walk away from my seat because of this morbidly obese man.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I've always said, put a scale at the door and charge by the pound.
funny, I always believe this should be the case with airlines. If mail can charge by weight, why not people?

Old 11-02-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I was once on the train sitting in the aisle seat of the 3-person seats. The window seat was being occupied by a large woman. I'm pretty big guy but I don't take more than one seat. So at the next stop some massive guy who could barely walk tapped me on the shoulder to take the middle seat. I was like wtf? Is this a joke? Whatever, I wasn't going to be that a-hole that denies someone a seat so I got up without giving the man any sort of nasty look but once he sat down and got settled he took 1 3/4 seats! There was no room for me to sit. I wasn't going to let him take the entire row to I sat down and part of my butt was on his leg. He was uncomfortable and moved over a bit and make the lady next to him uncomfortable. All three of us were cramped but I was not going to walk away from my seat because of this morbidly obese man.
I had incidents of this as well. Just be mindful of making comments. Its possible some people are disabled. Just remember disabilities aren't always visible

Old 11-02-2016, 09:27 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I had incidents of this as well. Just be mindful of making comments. Its possible some people are disabled. Just remember disabilities aren't always visible
True. I didn't want to be rude to him or deny him of the seat. But I was not going to give up my seat so that he could have 2 seats. That's where I drew the line.

However, the people I find to be the most audacious are the ones that put their dirty feats on the seats in front of them on a rush hour train or the ones that take up an entire row of seats with their baggage. If you are on crowded train and someone asks to sit don't give them an attitude as if you own the seat. Get your ass up and give them the seat! Some people are just so damn inconsiderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island