Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 790 times

Advertisements

Hello, so we've spent the last 4 weekends or so house hunting in the Moint Sinai, Miller place and sound beach area. Today we focused on sound beach mostly and I was astounded at all the "for sale" signs in the area. It wasn't uncommon to see a sign every 4-5 houses. What's the deal? Is it simply a buyers market in the area or am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 06:40 AM

345 posts, read 338,500 times
You aren't missing anything. Some of the best deals in LI real estate are in that area as far as I'm concerned. I was looking there and ended up going even further east to Wading River. Should be closing soon.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:56 AM

39 posts, read 53,363 times
Cross-shopping Mount Sinai, Miller Place, and Sound Beach is a little odd since the latter is typically not valued as highly in real estate or schools. Are you just shopping the three based on their location? If you have children (or plan to soon), you'd probably prefer buying in MS or MP if you can afford it.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:22 AM

148 posts, read 556,729 times
Remember that part of Sound Beach attends Miller Place Schools. The other part goes to Rocky Point. But Sound Beach will still be cheaper than Miller Place in general because SB has smaller houses and properties.

Old 11-07-2016, 09:23 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jra85 View Post
Cross-shopping Mount Sinai, Miller Place, and Sound Beach is a little odd since the latter is typically not valued as highly in real estate or schools. Are you just shopping the three based on their location? If you have children (or plan to soon), you'd probably prefer buying in MS or MP if you can afford it.
You can buy Sound Beach with Miller Place schools or Rocky Point schools. Depends on where in Sound Beach one looks.

MIA poster Crookhaven (in the past) brought up the fact that Miller Place taxes are high, so that is something to consider whether looking in Miller Place or Sound beach zoned for Miller Place.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 PM

245 posts, read 319,568 times
It's all about supply and demand. Jobs typically dictate where people live and that area is way too far to commute to NYC. If you work remotely, are retired or happen to have a well paying job on LI, some north shore mid suffolk areas offer a great value.

NYC is experiencing a real estate boom which is driving people to LI to seek lower costs (which is raising prices here). However, most of these buyers want to remain close to work (NYC), which is why many markets in Nassau have been hot and mid suffolk has not been.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:39 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,823,806 times
Not sure but seems to me when the market is up, a sea of for sale signs come out all over. Lots of people willing to pack it in if the price is right. People tossing out Zillow styled "make me move" pipe dream prices...and getting offers! I put out a For Sale By Owner sign but my wife took it down!

Old 11-07-2016, 02:06 PM

20,019 posts, read 20,822,731 times
Sold my house in under a week. S/W Nassau.
Area is hot right now for exact reasons previously mentioned in this thread.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:49 PM

245 posts, read 319,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Sold my house in under a week. S/W Nassau.
Area is hot right now for exact reasons previously mentioned in this thread.
Exactly. These areas are experiencing "gentrification" in the sense of a home that used to be owned byou a 1 income postal worker is now being purchased by a dual income professional household making 200k.

The closer to NYC the crazier, even in towns that are nothing special. It will ripple into suffolk buthe only around commutable trains. No further than say Northport, Commack, Babylon.

At a certain point it's just too far. Look at sound beach on zillow. Zillow is pegging the market as "very cold". And it isn't just the time of year. Look at the same in a town further west and look how different it is.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:16 PM

20,019 posts, read 20,822,731 times
My buyers specifically targeted my neighborhood because of the fact that it is walking distance to the train. It helped that it is a good neighborhood with high rated schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island