Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2016, 09:36 AM

3 posts, read 3,299 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I know Long Island City in Queens is often a place people commute _from_ - but my family budget is extremely limited at this point.

If I had a job in Long Island City (65K~ annually or so), a non-working spouse and one child, what would be the most affordable spot to live in to commute to Long Island City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 04:16 PM

155 posts, read 174,368 times
Will you be driving or taking the train?

Old 11-12-2016, 05:18 PM

I will most likely be taking the train (or whatever mass transit is available) - if our vehicle makes it to the NYC area with us, it will probably stay in my wife's hands.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:38 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davism64 View Post
Hi all. I know Long Island City in Queens is often a place people commute _from_ - but my family budget is extremely limited at this point.

If I had a job in Long Island City (65K~ annually or so), a non-working spouse and one child, what would be the most affordable spot to live in to commute to Long Island City?
Apartment in Woodside, Sunnyside, Jackson Heights or, if you are lucky, Astoria. The schools vary in quality - some are OK or better, some are not good.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:55 PM

Ah, those are helpful, thanks!

Any advice for spots not part of NYC proper?

Old 11-13-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davism64 View Post
Ah, those are helpful, thanks!

Any advice for spots not part of NYC proper?
In my opinion there is nothing worthwhile in your price range, especially given the aggravation of commuting. If you feel strongly, look for rental apartments in Floral Park, Mineola, Valley Stream, Lynbrook and Rockville Centre. You'll be taking the LIRR ($252 per month) to either Woodside or Hunterspoint Avene and depending where your job is exactly, then switching to the subway. They won't be any cheaper than Queens. You will get better schools, though. But you can get good schools in western Queens if you do a lot of research, particularly at the elementary level.

I moved to Long Island from Astoria. I love western Queens, but I wanted a house and better schools than what we were zoned for. Most of us, I think, move to Long Island when we can afford a house, and you aren't there yet.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:10 AM

Another option are the many garden apartments in NE Queens, some of which are near the following LIRR stations: Auburndale, Bayside, Little Neck. Generally these are coops, but they are quite inexpensive, and you can easily find sublets, and the schools are very good.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:52 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
I think it's going to be nearly impossible for 3 people to live on 65K. You would be limited to a tiny one bedroom, if you can even afford that. Long Island landlords generally don't like to rent to people with children.

Be aware, that NYC residency has an additional city income tax.

You will probably have to resort to some sort of "black market" (illegal) apartment. Apartment buildings in Queens have an income minimum unless maybe you can arrange to make some sort of deal by paying 6 months of rent in advance. You would be better trying to find a sublet.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I think it's going to be nearly impossible for 3 people to live on 65K. You would be limited to a tiny one bedroom, if you can even afford that. Long Island landlords generally don't like to rent to people with children.

Be aware, that NYC residency has an additional city income tax.

You will probably have to resort to some sort of "black market" (illegal) apartment. Apartment buildings in Queens have an income minimum unless maybe you can arrange to make some sort of deal by paying 6 months of rent in advance. You would be better trying to find a sublet.
Good points but I think at 65k, NYC income tax is modest and LIRR monthly might be more. Also, even now, a rent regulated apartment is easy to find in Queens. Could also look at some of the newer affordable housing units, but huge waitlist and lots of red tape. There is a new affordable building in my neighborhood, and thousands applied for 64 units. It's tough out there.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:48 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Good points but I think at 65k, NYC income tax is modest and LIRR monthly might be more. Also, even now, a rent regulated apartment is easy to find in Queens. Could also look at some of the newer affordable housing units, but huge waitlist and lots of red tape. There is a new affordable building in my neighborhood, and thousands applied for 64 units. It's tough out there.
True enough about the NYC income tax. Just wanted the OP to be aware of it. If you are not from this area, can be a shocker that there is a city and state income tax. A rent regulated apartment can be expensive, the same as a market rate apartment. The 80/20 apartments are even tougher and impossible for someone who comes from out of the area. Priority is given to those who already live in the district/veterans/disabled/employee of NYC. If the OP was already a NYC resident, I think the 65K for three people entitles him to low income housing programs. Otherwise, I think the OP can expect to pay 50 percent of his take home pay on rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island