Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 10:23 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

I like the first one better....guess I'm the lone dissenter. I like the drawers in the first drawing - if you could get them in the second layout I'd probably like it better. I also don't like the dishwasher not right next to the sink. So you're going to rinse your dishes and then walk them over to the dishwasher? Nope.

And honestly your oven should go in the corner. I will never understand why kitchen designers don't do this more often. It solves the problem of that dead corner where crumbs and other assorted detritus goes to die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 10:29 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
^^ twingles is dead on from a designer point of view....dishwasher is always placed next to sink. And most likely the fridge by the stove.

Last edited by rocafeller05; 11-28-2016 at 11:04 AM..

Old 11-28-2016, 10:32 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
I would also add a "garage" on top of your counter in that corner so your toaster, coffee pot, etc can be out of sight when not in use.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:24 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joker1979 View Post
Looks like so far everyone is leaning towards layout #2. Not sure if you can see but in that layout, the dishwasher is directly next to the fridge and not right next to sink - is that generally a good idea?
My layout looking left to right: has sink/dishwasher/cabinet of drawers/fridge. It would be a huge PITA to have to deal with passing your dirty dishes from the sink past the cabinet to the dishwasher. It should be a very simple fix to have the dishwasher and the cabinet switched on the plans.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:24 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I like the first one better....guess I'm the lone dissenter. I like the drawers in the first drawing - if you could get them in the second layout I'd probably like it better. I also don't like the dishwasher not right next to the sink. So you're going to rinse your dishes and then walk them over to the dishwasher? Nope.

And honestly your oven should go in the corner. I will never understand why kitchen designers don't do this more often. It solves the problem of that dead corner where crumbs and other assorted detritus goes to die.
It's not so far away that you are walking anywhere. In my last house, I had the sink and the dishwasher in a corner like that and it's not really that different to load it, you just position yourself slightly differently at the sink when loading vs. when the dishwasher is on the same side as the sink.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

You lose more cabinet space placing the range in the corner. If it were a huge kitchen, I would say go for it. As it is, this kitchen looks tight for space.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:29 AM

I forgot to add earlier that the fridge by the sliding doors is going to block some of the natural light. The counter space next to the sliding doors will be helpful when shuttling things outside for entertaining.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:13 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
You NEED to go with the plan on the left, where the dishwasher is to the left of the sink.

Try to imagine loading the dishwasher that's to the right of the sink in a very inconvenient spot. Good luck with that. Just the placement of the dishwasher is the deciding factor for me.

Hope you see this before you submit your plan and make a large mistake.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:31 PM

170 posts, read 193,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ twingles is dead on from a designer point of view....dishwasher is always placed next to sink. And most likely the fridge by the stove.
Yes, this is my pet peeve with layout #2 which most people on here seem to prefer. I think it looks tacky to have fridge directly next to another applianace (dishwasher) and also not having the dishwasher right next to sink. We did want fridge, small cabinet and stove on one wall but that was not a possibility with the space we have unfortunetly so we are left with these 2 options...

Old 11-28-2016, 12:48 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,042,483 times
Thumbs up Dishwasher.....

Quote:
Looks like so far everyone is leaning towards layout #2. Not sure if you can see but in that layout, the dishwasher is directly next to the fridge and not right next to sink - is that generally a good idea?
Quote:
Yes, this is my pet peeve with layout #2 which most people on here seem to prefer. I think it looks tacky to have fridge directly next to another applianace (dishwasher) and also not having the dishwasher right next to sink. We did want fridge, small cabinet and stove on one wall but that was not a possibility with the space we have unfortunetly so we are left with these 2 options...

The dishwasher situation alone is a deal breaker. You need to have the dishwasher next to the sink otherwise your plumber will hate you. Besides you're going to love that cabinet to the right of the stove for storing pots and pans. Those drawers come almost completely out of the base cabinet so all of the space is easily accessible. Good luck with the renovation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island