Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 02:33 PM

188 posts, read 161,557 times

Advertisements

The NICE bus committee decided against any cuts in bus service in order to give the county more time to locate funds. But if nothing can be "found", far deeper cuts could be on the horizon in April and that could lead to NICE closing down one if their bus depots (Rockville Center depot).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2016, 06:27 PM

179 posts, read 304,293 times
lol who still takes the bus anymore?

Old 12-13-2016, 10:32 PM

Even if that were true, it doesn't matter. These issues should be addressed accordingly.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:36 PM

You do know that people are about to lose their jobs in more ways than one should these cuts actually occur, right? NICE has been a colossal failure from the start. Mangano should of just paid the MTA the 26 million and avoided this mess entirely. He is laterally the worst thing to happen to this county and should just fall off the face of this earth.

Old 12-13-2016, 10:46 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,226 times
26 million dollars?? Holy crap. What do we need to do to get rid of these committee members voting no. We need committe members to close nice and get rid of all buses in Nassau county.

Save 26 million bucks.

Wonder what uber can do with a 26mil subsidy. Uber Bus.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:10 PM

You do know that the county is currently paying NICE only 9 million this year. It's going to go down to 2.6 million next year.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:12 PM

Westchester county's Bee-Lines bus system is about 35 million to operate, so why can Westchester afford it while Nassau barely wants to pay 1/4th of that. The state (along with Transdav) pays the rest.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:15 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.A View Post
Even if that were true, it doesn't matter. These issues should be addressed accordingly.
Well that I totally agree with that there. Services here on LI just keep getting cut more & more. Don't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately. COL here is just way out of hand. Very hard for anyone on limited income. Taxes are very high.

For anyone around these parts of NY that need to rely on public transit are best living within the NYC limits really. They have not just the best public transit here in the area. But the best public transit system anywhere in America really. Buses & trains 24/7. I have lots of friends & family that live in NYC limits. Some have cars. Some don't. Honestly most of them that even have cars say they NEVER use them as public transit is so much easier to use & available 24/7. Some got rid of their cars. My cousin even left her car out here on LI & parks it by my place. Just comes to get it as needed. Free to park here. Several hundred a month for garage space in the city where they live. She pays me $100 month to park here car here.

I gave up driving for several years. While I myself did not have to utilize any public transit here ever unless it was LIRR into the city I will agree it is pretty bad for those that rely on those services.

While I did go back to driving I do notice except for the buses along the main road here along Merrick Rd on the South Shore in Nassau for the most part the buses are very empty. Not very cost effective for them profit wise to run mostly empty buses. Now if there was more ridership & buses were not so empty they would see a plus in that & not cut back these services. Any business is going to look at the numbers.

There are not many good affordable public transit options here on LI. I honestly do not see that ever getting much better. Even if they don't make the cuts. People that rely on the buses have very little options here.

But in any case if you rely on buses on LI you are screwed pretty much.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:15 PM

Huh? What do you mean by that? That's what the counties pay for their respective bus systems.

Old 12-13-2016, 11:27 PM

It's mostly the North-south bus lines that got hit the hardest since NICE first started. They changed the schedules so buses that used to run every 15-30 minutes run hourly. Then you get the breakdowns due to poor maintenance of these buses, driving away even more riders. The East-West bus routes however, like the n4, n6, n20/n21 etc, they are the money makers for NICE. The n88 too, but that one is on the chopping block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island