Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 05:45 AM

10 posts, read 6,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
New budget approved by NIFA yesterday. Only "cuts" to the police is they are delaying hiring a a few months.
Glad I own Dunkin Donut stock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 11:26 AM

188 posts, read 161,576 times
That's so stupid, they need more cops now. It's as if all essential county services are being attacked (first the buses, now the police, what's next? The fire department!?!)

Old 12-15-2016, 11:31 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.A View Post
That's so stupid, they need more cops now. It's as if all essential county services are being attacked (first the buses, now the police, what's next? The fire department!?!)
Fortunately, Fire Departments are volunteer. Maybe it's time for volunteer PD.
We don't necessarily need more cops. We need more effective cops.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:39 AM

Still, the government of Nassau county is extremely backwards, because all these needed services they are killing funds for or cutting staff. What they really should be doing is cracking down on illegals, closing bodgas and rebuilding failing towns and promoting a robust , reliable bus system to support said communities threw Nassau Inter-County Express bus and improvements to the Long Island Railroad.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:51 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
They delayed hiring of police so that will more than likely end up in higher costs due to overtime.
Tax map verification fees went from $255 to $355 and they reduced the administrative fee on moving violation tickets to $55. That administrative fee will be challenged in court. Also as I recall they had some rather rosy sales tax increase projections. Cutting bus routes for those that really have no alternative, nice plan.

All these gyrations and they still have to borrow rather than just raise the residential property tax by $50. Why not just raise the tax map fee's to $1000 or $2000 since none of this has one thing to do with practical common sense. I can't wait to see how much they get from trimming utility costs, maybe just turn out all the lights.

Quote:
Mangano’s plan includes cutting Nassau’s subsidy to NICE Bus by $3.8 million, trimming utility, equipment and other general expenses by $3.8 million, and delaying police department hiring by several months to save $2.7 million.

Despite signing off on the budget, NIFA asserted its right to block restoration of those spending cuts next year without verification by Nassau that it had identified an equal amount of new, recurring revenues, such as fee or property tax increases.

NIFA approves Nassau 2017 budget with $36M in cuts, new fees | Newsday

Old 12-15-2016, 12:15 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They delayed hiring of police so that will more than likely end up in higher costs due to overtime.
Tax map verification fees went from $255 to $355 and they reduced the administrative fee on moving violation tickets to $55. That administrative fee will be challenged in court. Also as I recall they had some rather rosy sales tax increase projections. Cutting bus routes for those that really have no alternative, nice plan.

All these gyrations and they still have to borrow rather than just raise the residential property tax by $50. Why not just raise the tax map fee's to $1000 or $2000 since none of this has one thing to do with practical common sense. I can't wait to see how much they get from trimming utility costs, maybe just turn out all the lights.

NIFA approves Nassau 2017 budget with $36M in cuts, new fees | Newsday

A little over a year ago the tax map verification fee was $75. Recording a mortgage in Nassau was about $600 in the fall of 15, now its going to be un the $1,400-$1,5000 or so range.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:26 PM

179 posts, read 304,354 times
The police today, at least in Nassau and Suffolk, are nothing more than revenue collectors. They are not heroes that stop crimes - they are only there to pick up the pieces - and they are incompetent at best. They'll bag 50 cars for parking tickets while some kid slashes tires and vandalizes cars in the nearby neighborhood. Slashing their numbers won't really do much for anyone's safety.

Like I've implied much earlier and maybe in other threads, the best thing for the county budgets is if retired cops all dropped dead. Yes, it's harsh, but fewer cops and retirees = fewer levels of pain when it comes to pay your taxes!

Old 12-15-2016, 12:52 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
The police today, at least in Nassau and Suffolk, are nothing more than revenue collectors. They are not heroes that stop crimes - they are only there to pick up the pieces - and they are incompetent at best. They'll bag 50 cars for parking tickets while some kid slashes tires and vandalizes cars in the nearby neighborhood. Slashing their numbers won't really do much for anyone's safety.

Like I've implied much earlier and maybe in other threads, the best thing for the county budgets is if retired cops all dropped dead. Yes, it's harsh, but fewer cops and retirees = fewer levels of pain when it comes to pay your taxes!
As for your first paragraph what nonsense. My guess is you've either had bad encounters with them before or you just came up short on the civil service test.

As for the second, wow are you twisted. Rooting for Thousands of people, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters etc to die because you are bitter you are paying their pensions.

We get it. You hate cops.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
As for your first paragraph what nonsense. My guess is you've either had bad encounters with them before or you just came up short on the civil service test.

As for the second, wow are you twisted. Rooting for Thousands of people, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters etc to die because you are bitter you are paying their pensions.

This is the kind of guy that would support death panels.....

Old 12-15-2016, 01:29 PM

179 posts, read 304,354 times
Quote:

Honestly, I could see where you are making those assumptions, but they are actually all false! Don't get me wrong, if I knew what I knew today 10 years ago when I was just about to graduate high school, I probably would've hopped on board that gravy train.

I am a fairly twisted dude though so you got me on that LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island