Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 01:55 PM

16 posts, read 127,248 times

Advertisements

i know its not very difficult to get a permit. my question is how hard is it to get a spot? what time do you get to your station?

here are some of the towns we are considering purchasing a home in.

westbury, hicksville, bethpage, rockville ctr, baldwin, freeport, merrick, bellmore, wantagh, seaford, massapequa, and massapequa park.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 10:11 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosalind_75 View Post
i know its not very difficult to get a permit. my question is how hard is it to get a spot? what time do you get to your station?

here are some of the towns we are considering purchasing a home in.

westbury, hicksville, bethpage, rockville ctr, baldwin, freeport, merrick, bellmore, wantagh, seaford, massapequa, and massapequa park.

thanks
In some cases it is tough to get a permit. For example I am in the Massapequa Park zipcode and closer to the Massapequa Park train station, but I am not technically in the village of Massapequa Park. For not village residents their is a 5 year waiting list and it costs about $150 a year to park there. So I go to the Massapequa train station.

Parking in Massapequa can be a bit rough. I have to be in by 10, usually get to my office around 9:30 and take the 8:18 train. By that time the only spots generally available are pretty far away. A lot on sunrise between broadway and Hicksville RD with the only available spots being near the hicksville Road Entrance or in a municipal lot behind the central ave Library. I generally park in the lot near the Library because it can be a pain to get out of the lot on Sunrise as the only spots that tend to be available are the ones right near Hicksville Road and you have cars lined up behind you waiting to turn onto Hicksville Road as you try to back up.

Much of it obviously depends on what time you go in. If you have a job like mine where your hours are 10-6 (well if I'm lucky) as opposed to the typical 9-5 parking is going to be tougher. As far as Massapequa goes i would say if you go in for or before the 7:27 train you should be pretty good parking wise. Once you get towards the 7:51 train to Flatbush and 7;53 train to Penn is where it gets a bit tougher, and if your on anything later than that such as the 8;03, and especially once you get to the 8:18 or 8:32 parking anywhere near the station is going to be pretty difficult
I generally want to get the back of the train, as I take the 2 or 3 downtown from Penn, as a result of that and where I have to park its generally a good 5-6 minute walk to get from where I park to where I want to get the train. About 3 minutes to the station itself and another 3 down the paltform to the back of the train.

On some days (mostly Fridays,and days when people are taking vacation time) I can generally find parking in the first main lot (heading west) on sunrise. The spots available there are generally towards the beginning of that lot (furthest from the actual station and its still a good 2-3 minute walk to the tracks, but at least there I am towards the back or east end of the train.

Old 03-07-2008, 12:18 PM

177 posts, read 893,099 times
Baldwin is an easy station to park at, if you park in the lot on Sunrise Hwy or the spaces on the street directly behind the tracks. For these areas, no permit is required. (There is a lot behind that requires permits for residents). We arrive around 7:15 in the AM and the lot on Sunrise has an ample # of spots left.

I live in Rockville Centre but I'm not thrilled with the parking at that station. You need a permit and the parking is not guaranteed, so it's more frustrating. Also, if you take the train from Baldwin, you get on the train one stop before RVC, so the seat selection is better, which is a factor during AM rush.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island