Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 04:39 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,955,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Definitely check a rescue. Many boxers are rehomed due to people not realizing they are an energetic breed that need a lot of activity.
Sadly, this is the case with so many dogs. My neighbor gave up a border collie for precisely this reason (who knew that a border collie - bred for constant motion - would need lots of exercise?). She thought it was a really cute puppy, heard they were pretty smart and not too large, and that was the extent of her research.

(PS - Boxers are terrific breeds for wise owners who know what they are purchasing...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 10:34 AM

121 posts, read 109,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
OP, pure-breed dogs are very, very, very few and far between in shelters, and on the rare occasions that they turn up, they don't last long. They are virtually always mixed with another breed, usually pitbull, and if they want to get cute about it, "Terrier". Secondly, you can't trust the shelters. They will tell you an animal is purebred when it isn't. Their main concern is finding homes for animals and they don't really care how they do it. It's your money, your long-term responsibility and if you want to ensure that you're getting a purebred animal, buy from a reputable breeder. That said, if pure-bred isn't a priority for you and you don't mind a mix - which are usually healthier animals than purebreds - then by all means visit your local shelter. I ended up going through North Shore Animal League for my 2 boys, as Brookhaven and Islip were almost nothing but pitbulls, which I refuse to own. Good luck!
If you believe these dogs are actual "pure-breed" then i've got a bridge to sell you. Refusing to own a pitbull is believing the stereotype I guess even though i've owned many and they've been nothing but wonderful dogs. 9 out of 10 "pitbull" owners will tell you the same thing.

BTW, temperament testing higher than many other breeds: - ATTS Breed Statistics | American Temperament Test Society, Inc. -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island