Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 12:46 PM

8 posts, read 12,744 times

Advertisements

I am a recent, first time home owner and I would like to enlarge my one car driveway into a two car driveway. Most of my neighbors have Asphalt, which I think is ugly, but they all say it is easier to maintain and less expensive to install than pavers. I would love to hear others thoughts on the pros/cons of each and also any costs related to the install of either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2016, 01:19 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Aspahalt is definitely cheaper to install.
It will require resealing every few years which is not too expensive.

Pavers can be very pricey and if installed correctly would probably require little to no maintenance and outlast you and your children and grandchildren.

Make some calls and get multiple estimates for both.
An asphalt driveway done right can look great and last a long time, so don't feel compelled to keep up with HGTV because the stupid tv shows say you need to do pavers otherwise you will be black sheep of the neighborhood and all of your friends and family.

Old 12-28-2016, 01:27 PM

Thanks hotkarl! Great advice!

Old 12-28-2016, 03:13 PM

694 posts, read 1,203,139 times
My neighbor who has pavers, told me that you cannot use snow blower on them, and considering that we had quite a few instances of it over the past few years, this is something to think about.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:33 PM

983 posts, read 724,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
My neighbor who has pavers, told me that you cannot use snow blower on them, and considering that we had quite a few instances of it over the past few years, this is something to think about.
This isn't true.
I have pavers, not on the driveway, but on paths to the door. I used the snow blower the other day without a problem.

Regarding driveway, I'm also planning on doing mine. I've been doing a lot of research, and the conclusion I got to is that the most important thing is to have someone that does the grading correctly.
If the grade is not done correctly, whatever you put on top won't last too long.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:51 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
You can absolutely use a snowblower on pavers.

Old 12-28-2016, 06:00 PM

I was wondering about the snow blower and the pavers. good to know that the blower can be used.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:48 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,239,560 times
Both a 2 stage (which doesn't clear totally to the pavement) and a single stage (its paddles clear to the bare pavement) can be used on pavers.

Asphalt is definitely easier, until at some point it needs redoing. I had it resurfaced a number of years ago which essentially just puts a fresh covering on, but after a few years cracked again despite yearly sealing.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:19 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
As others have mentioned, you can use a snowblower on pavers. What your neighbor might be thinking of is a snow plow. A plow can mess up pavers, especially if they don't use some care when plowing.

As also pointed out by others, pavers are more expensive (usually much more) than asphalt. Another option for the OP to consider is a combination of both.

Several homes by me have pavers with an asphalt inset. Basically half of each. May sound odd, but it can look very nice. A few homes did full pavers. While is may have been the color/texture/shape choice, it doesn't look as good - way too busy.

The combination method can offer some interesting design options and save a few dollars over a full stone driveway.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:36 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,899 times
I think asphalt with a Belgian block border looks quite nice. I've seen some hideous pavers, but I've seen some nice ones, too. It's just not an area I'd be looking to throw more cash than is needed though.

I'm going to need to redo my five car, single width driveway soon and I'm interested in these posts as well. I've only considered asphalt or concrete so fR. my neighbor has concrete with brick borders, looks great but pricey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island