Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 06:29 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
California has bigfoots in the wilderness but Long Island don't but maybe they do in Suffolk county ny? Can they say it if there are bigfoots in Suffolk county ny?
They arrived by way of the magic Rocky Point tunnel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 05:26 PM

152 posts, read 176,821 times
Please dont say it and nobody asked and people did ask aboput california.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:47 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyprayer View Post
Please dont say it and nobody asked and people did ask aboput california.
But why they won't say it about bigfoots in Suffolk county ny?

Old 01-13-2017, 06:03 PM

152 posts, read 176,821 times
Nobody said that and people said they wanted to retire and one person said that they go to california and bobody said it about bigfoot so why do you talk about it? It is about where to go when you do retire and not in long island and where to go even if it far like in california.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:37 PM

20,021 posts, read 20,826,797 times
But California has bigfoots and people don't retire there like they do at Florida and in Suffolk county my. I know they said it about retiring and going there but why?

Old 01-13-2017, 08:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Not looking to start another "I hate LI" thread but I'd like to know what plans some of you folks have when you retire, where will you go, what places are progressive and accepting of Yankees, etc. I've heard good things about North Carolina and would like to know from former LI'ers what they think of NC, VA and other parts of the world.

Thanks for your input.

Charlotte is pretty much Long Island. I always laugh about how I see NC license plates in front of me with Long Island dealer frames.

What you save in property/school taxes between Long Island and NC or SC, you'll make up for in annual property taxes on cars, the higher cost of water, and the cost of air conditioning your house for 3+ seasons instead of 3+ months every year.(Case in point there was a 70 degree difference between the low on Monday and the high on Friday this week)

Old 01-13-2017, 08:58 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Charlotte is pretty much Long Island. I always laugh about how I see NC license plates in front of me with Long Island dealer frames.

What you save in property/school taxes between Long Island and NC or SC, you'll make up for in annual property taxes on cars, the higher cost of water, and the cost of air conditioning your house for 3+ seasons instead of 3+ months every year.(Case in point there was a 70 degree difference between the low on Monday and the high on Friday this week)
My property taxes, water bill, HOA fees, and yearly tax on cars (which you don't pay when you buy a car....a fact always conveniently forgotten) is well less than half of the property taxes I paid on Long Island - and those taxes have gone up by the amount of property tax I currently pay here. AC? I have one large heating bill a year - the rest of the months my gas bill is negligible. My heat hasn't come on since Wednesday and I expect I may use it once or twice over the next week. I have two electric bills a year that exceed $200 - July and August. The rest of the year it's low $100s.

Of course some people can't help but jump from the frying pan into the fire and buy the biggest house, the most expensive cars, etc etc when they move.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:37 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Default Going to Maine

Heading North to Maine. Because No One retires up north.
It's nicer than the Hamptons without the price or attitude.

Give me a foot of snow, a log cabin with a fireplace, I'm good!

Old 01-13-2017, 09:38 PM

783 posts, read 576,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
People here are friendly and we have met some great people since we moved here. There's been a handful of times when I go buy food at the drive-thru and the car in front me pays my bill for me and only asks that I "pay it forward".
I've done that myself, but slightly different. I told the cashier to 'pay it backward' and charge the guy behind me.

Old 01-14-2017, 11:24 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
NoVA would be a good option except the weather isn't all that different than here. Cost is maybe $5k/year less, so not a huge difference depending on retirement savings.

I can only say what I feel now, and that's that we want to stay close to the kids because we still want to have family events. I know my parents enjoy time with all of us and life would be a lot duller otherwise and the support/favors we do for each other is priceless. I wouldn't want to be in FLA if the kids are still in NY. Frankly, I'd like them to get out too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island