Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 08:23 AM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
martinx seem to be an expert! wow

14k? that is madness. Those taxes would rival some of the 1-2 million dollar houses on the north shore
Is that not a absolutely insane?
I have 2 close friends in the Madison area of Oceanside, near the park.
Both have similar high ranch homes and lots.
14k a year in taxes. 14k!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 01:42 PM

60 posts, read 63,832 times
I lived in Oceanside from 2008-2013. It was 75-25 for me, positive! It was my first house purchase, moved from Queens (where I lived with my parents in Rosedale and then had a condo in Douglaston).

Pluses = great community vibe/feeling. Everyone was friendly. Was a mixture of grandparents and young parents. Folks would jog and waive. Very quiet during the day, especially if you took a day off during the week. There were lots of restaurants, shopping and overall things to do within 20 minutes in every direction. Close to RVC (I miss Croxleys), Island Park (Jordan Lobster Farm) and Long Beach. The spring and fall leaves were so incredible with the colors in the neighborhood as well. And everyone kept their property fairly nice and tidy. I lived close to the train station and it was only 3 bucks a year to park. Literally going to work at 615am and I had front row parking. And also a really nice park and public swimming pool.

Negatives = do not try and come home when school lets out. The traffic can be really bad. Outside of that I knew how to get around the bad intersections and major roads, etc. However the school bus traffic will get you riled up. I sometimes would regret leaving work early, lol. Have to be careful of flood areas, luckily I purchased flood insurance right away as it was cheap at the time 150/year.

As was mentioned about taxes...definitely research exactly what type of STAR the current owner is receiving. When I purchased it was from a senior citizen and yes it did jump.

I no longer live in Oceanside as I had to unfortunately short sell because of divorce. But I did enjoy my time there.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:39 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
I do feel like Oceanside occupies a bit of a sweet spot for those looking to purchase in the western portion of Nassau. Taxes tend to be less than say Lynbrook, housing is obviously cheaper than RVC, but the overall area is nicer than say Baldwin.

If you live north of of Atlantic I imagine your commute time to parkways isn't that awful. And there's some decent housing stock in certain areas.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:47 PM

280 posts, read 286,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Madison is a bubble area.

Old 01-13-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinx View Post
Madison is a bubble area.
Totally. And it's moron city as well.

Old 01-13-2017, 06:07 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
My wife and I purchased a house in Oceanside and moved in about three weeks ago. Obviously we just got here, but we like it so far. We had a baby recently, so our one bedroom apartment in Manhattan just wasn't cutting it. And our work commutes went down by coming out here.

Luckily the sellers had flood insurance for many years, and we were able to take over their policy, so we pay less than $500 a year for it. If you have to buy a new policy, it'll be much more. One home we looked at in Bellmore was $3,200 just for the flood.

Taxes are in line with most of the other towns we were looking at (Merrick, Massapequa, Bellmore, Wantagh), at least for our specific house. We have a high ranch and they're right at $12k, and that's before STAR.

From what I've read and spoken with people about, the elementary and middle schools are excellent (9e and 9m), but the high school is more hit and miss.

We're pretty much at the very southern tip of the town. I'm at work before the sun is up every day, so I don't really hit any traffic, and it's about 10 minutes to get to Sunrise Highway, and another 5 minutes to get to the Southern State. Although if you're up on Foxhurst, that will be a less since you'll be a good bit closer. I've only driven through the town at peak hours a few times, and on the major roads the traffic is congested, but it's not horrible. Then again, I'm used to dealing the Manhattan traffic everyday, so maybe my perceptions are a bit skewed.

Last edited by Febtober; 01-13-2017 at 07:30 AM..

Old 01-13-2017, 06:32 AM

One mans junk is another mans gold.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:38 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinx View Post
I don't know If I am an expert but I bought and sold Eight houses in NY, bought one in Fl, and bought and sold an apartment building and a brownstone in a foreign country. NY is the worst, with LI being even worse because of the transfer tax increase courtesy of our now indicted county exec Ed Mangano. FLA was the best to deal with.

you certainly gave a lot of info. That was informative. Rep to you buddy

Old 01-13-2017, 07:44 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The tax disparity to Queens seems to be growing. My parent's modest house in Queens is worthy close to a mil with taxes under 5 grand.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:22 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
The tax disparity to Queens seems to be growing. My parent's modest house in Queens is worthy close to a mil with taxes under 5 grand.
It's not necessarily growing. NYC is all over the place (so is Long Island, but less so)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island