Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:15 AM

20,036 posts, read 20,839,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
even the biggest Oceanside defender would acknowledge that Long Beach Road on a weekend afternoon is a catastrophe. But there are other ways to get North and South within Oceanside and having so much shopping nearby can be a plus when you don't want to head to the mall. If you're able to steer clear on the commercial areas during busy times, having them nearby can be a net positive. If not, it can be hell.
The problem is there is so much traffic that everyone else think they are outsmarting EVERYONE ELSE by taking alternative routes that even the alternative routes are a disaster. Even the side streets are like the Indy 500 with aggravated and frustrated drivers ripping down the roads through the stop signs at every corner.
There really is no escape, the traffic situation is what it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 11:32 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
The problem is there is so much traffic that everyone else think they are outsmarting EVERYONE ELSE by taking alternative routes that even the alternative routes are a disaster. Even the side streets are like the Indy 500 with aggravated and frustrated drivers ripping down the roads through the stop signs at every corner.
There really is no escape, the traffic situation is what it is.
thanks for weighing in. Would also like to hear from folks that aren't so unhinged.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:22 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,415 times
The traffic is bad, but it's bad mostly everywhere on LI. People can schedule trips during hours with lighter traffic and avoid L.B. Road by knowing how to navigate the side streets.

The flooding zones would concern me. That's something you have no control over, and I would just avoid Oceanside and East Rockaway. There are so many other housing options.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:28 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
The traffic is bad, but it's bad mostly everywhere on LI. People can schedule trips during hours with lighter traffic and avoid L.B. Road by knowing how to navigate the side streets.

The flooding zones would concern me. That's something you have no control over, and I would just avoid Oceanside and East Rockaway. There are so many other housing options.
flooding is a legit concern, but there are large swaths of Oceanside (e.g. north of Atlantic) where you should be fine for the next 100 years or so.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:39 PM

60 posts, read 63,782 times
RE Flooding: Tonight and tomorrow morning are good days to drive around Oceanside to see any flooding near potential/interested homes.

Old 01-23-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
thanks for weighing in. Would also like to hear from folks that aren't so unhinged.
Don't be a wise guy. I did take my meds today.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:40 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,052 times
For the record, there is tons of flooding by Lawson and Waukena, my husband just drove there this morning and he said it was unbelievable.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:07 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,513,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babysladkaya View Post
For the record, there is tons of flooding by Lawson and Waukena, my husband just drove there this morning and he said it was unbelievable.
I've heard the area by the train tracks and Lawson floods pretty much at the drop of the hat. I was driving around Waukena (the other end of it) and up Long Beach Road right around high tide this morning (about 5am) and there wasn't anything besides a few puddles to drive through.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:04 PM

280 posts, read 286,464 times
FEMA flood maps did not (and still do not) accurately reflect flood risk. If the flood risk was accurately reflected the cost of insurance would need to be over $10,000 per 100,000 near Lawson Blvd thus a large part of Oceanside would need to be condemned (which it should be). If the maps were accurate nobody would be able to afford insurance which now artificially tops out between $3500-5000, but in many cases is very artificially priced between $400-$600 on old policies. That implies a flood every 100 to 500 years! with the fact being well under 100 years; given barrier degradation probably between 12 and 25 year risk would be my best guess.. That would put an average policy cost near $10k on 250 coverage assuming the payout was half on average. The mortgage lending industry is being subsidized by low cost and available flood insurance. What is a house worth without the availability of insurance? -0- and that is why it is currently available as a matter of public policy even on flood prone Lawson BLVD. Your risk is much much higher than your policy suggests. You have no right, assurance, or expectation that you will be able to get flood insurance at an affordable rate over the life or your mortgage. NONE. Flood insurance really did not work in 2012.

Home prices are VASTLY inflated along with medical and education prices because that is all our economy is good for, that is all that remains of our hollowed out shell of an economy. Time to grab a ***** in protest that this sad state of affairs might be called out for what it is and changed.

But you don't need to worry about flood insurance because NOBODY really paid in any meaningful or easy way. (it was an abortion of epic proportion to collect on insurance {with the mortgage servicer getting paid first, and the insurance company squealing over the cost of every sheet rock screw while using a labor cost table from North Carolina}, and NY Rising grants were even more of an abortion to this day). Flood insurance is not for you, it is for the integrity of your mortgage loan. (which I advised people not to pay in 2012 and who had NO NONE ZERO Zilch ramifications for missing payments NONE). A buddy of mine in Greenwich lived in his 3.5 million dollar mansion for free for 7 years with no ramification; I know another guy who got paid a settlement from the bank to move out of a house he was not paying for; another casual acquaintance walked away from his house in 2012, moved in with his mom, and is now watching the lawyers scramble to compensate him for holding out on his fraudulent insurance payout offer. NYS has intentionally slowed foreclosures down to years; and they are chiding the new Treasury Secretary for actually foreclosing on nonpaying people. Zombie houses are also distorting the price of houses upwards. Real estate currently operates under "the greater fool theory" which is that there is a guy stupider than you ready to buy your house; most likely he is an immigrant coming from queens looking for the American Dream instead he is a muppet, a dupe, a fool, a bag holder.

The following flood simulation website I think is quite accurate. Did you, your PE, or your mortgage lender look at the accurate flood map? NO! You are not supposed to do due diligence on a home purchase because you are using OPM (other people's money).

By setting the flood level at 1 meter you can see accurately which parts of Oceanside are subject to flooding on a frequent basis. Lawson from Walkena to Atlantic is at the most risk; I remember Jet skies on youtube during Irene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXN3bhm7FWM

Flood Map: Water Level Elevation Map

Based on my perceptions in 2012 Oceanside flooded OVER the 2-3 meter setting on the map but below the 4 meter setting. The map was quite accurate in 2012 Bellmore at 4 meters.

Basically anything south of Merrick Road is a risk in a repeat storm, especially so because Sandy destroyed natural barriers to flooding. In a real class 1 hurricane I don't think anything south of Sunrise Highway would be safe. At a real class 1 the scope of disaster could not have been hidden. I remember remarking that south of Merrick road was Haiti (dysfunctional) and north of Merrick road was the Dominican Republic (functional and could not care less about Haiti).

FEMA, NY Rising, Gosr, and HUD (insurance claims as well) are still presenting themselves as disasters to the homeowners to this day. Newsday is nowhere to be found. in holding NY Rising, NYS, and HUD responsible for this abortion that is hurricane aid. If you cannot easily sell something don't buy it. If you are looking for a house use the flood tool at 4+ meters before you buy.

Here is Lawson a day after Sandy, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_6cHBqeroU

The following is the more expensive Madison Area https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkKR4SEIq_I I had to help a relative and had to walk over devistation in Madison (built on fill over wetland). The area in question is near Boardman school which is near the highest area of Madison closer to the entrance of the development. The video ends around Mott Street but the flooding progressed much further than that towards Merrick road (ending near the old Nathans) Even today the canals are near the gills.

My suggestion is wait for prices to go way WAY down before you buy in Oceanside or LI or any Blue State, buy on high land, and pay in cash <-yes the prices of houses may actually go that low in the next five years.
Dont be the greater fool.

Last edited by martinx; 01-24-2017 at 10:10 PM..

Old 01-24-2017, 09:17 PM

I remember walking clear across town in 3 feet of freezing water to get to my folks house to check on them. Not fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island