Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 01:05 PM

732 posts, read 883,909 times

Advertisements

Is it worth it with the school taxes that you pay and don't utilize?
Don't think I'll be having kids but thinking about buying a home with fiancee.

She works in Nassau and I work in the city. Thinking about Mineola or Great Neck. Maybe we can find a place near the border of Nassau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 01:14 PM

472 posts, read 473,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
Is it worth it with the school taxes that you pay and don't utilize?
Don't think I'll be having kids but thinking about buying a home with fiancee.

She works in Nassau and I work in the city. Thinking about Mineola or Great Neck. Maybe we can find a place near the border of Nassau.
My question is why not queens?

Old 01-12-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Starwind View Post
My question is why not queens?
Any recommendations? She might say it's far from her work which is in GC.
I've looked at Floral Park, NHP, Bellerose and Bayside

Old 01-12-2017, 01:25 PM

472 posts, read 473,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
Any recommendations? She might say it's far from her work which is in GC.
I've looked at Floral Park, NHP, Bellerose and Bayside
I would suggest those area and add little neck as well

Old 01-12-2017, 01:31 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
On. No.

Old 01-12-2017, 01:35 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Big no. Its the only reason I moved from the city is because its cheaper here when you have kids. Higher taxes here are because of the schools. Otherwise you are paying exorbitant taxes for no reason.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:32 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
I'm going to play devils advocate here and say there are some great towns with all the suburban things you would love, that happen to be in less than stellar school zones- and the property prices reflect it.

For instance, Westbury, Amityville, Elmont, Malverne have some beautiful homes but are cheaper because of their mediocre schools.

Just depends on how long term we're looking. 5-10 years it's an easy go for Nassau (no Income tax), but after a long time period you'll probably be better with the City as the high property prices may grow in your favor.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:42 PM

I noticed that the Queens homes costs more than higher than Mineola, NHP, Floral Park (Nassau side). Although taxes in Queens is 1/3 of Nassau.

Our budget is 700k (cash) and it seems more than enough for a 2 or 3 BR/2BA home for Nassau.
Most of the homes in Bayside in Little Neck are condos/co-ops. The houses are like 700k+ and they don't look that great. Probably because there aren't much homes for sale so no competition.
The homes in Floral Park and Bellrose (City side) isn't that great due to crime activity. I looked at the homes near Jamaica Ave which are close to Bellerose LIRR station

We could just be paying Nassau taxes for her to get to work in 10 minutes. Maybe we'll have kids. Who knows. We are both young adults.

Thanks for your input everyone. We will think about it. Surely the taxes will keep rising every year.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:04 PM

48 posts, read 61,096 times
We were in the same boat when we bought. We just wanted walking distance to train and a reasonable commute. having no connection to Nassau, we chose Mineola given the central location and 35 min commute. We ended up having kids and the schools seem to be working well for us. Otherwise also consider taxes you will not pay in NYC (approx. 3.5%)https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_f...e_schedule.pdf verss the property taxes you will pay. chck out mlsli.com for more accurate property taxes.

Old 01-12-2017, 03:22 PM

9 posts, read 8,611 times
How about Forest Hills, Fresh Meadows, Hillcrest, and Hollis in Queens? They are all close to the highway and easy commute to the city. Forest Hills is mostly apartments if you are not into that, while others you can find houses with good appreciations in a long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island