Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 12:43 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,249 times

Advertisements

Keep checking PSEGLI website, they're always hiring, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 01:27 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
It's not, but 100k these days is not that big of a deal. Also, try working in their conditions year after year. The weather takes its toll on you. I'm not saying it's not a good job, but most on this board couldn't cut it. They can barely use a screwdriver.
I'll agree its not for everyone. I have a good friend who is a track worker for the MTA. As with the police, the real money is the massive OT.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:19 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
Quote:
It's not, but 100k these days is not that big of a deal. Also, try working in their conditions year after year. The weather takes its toll on you. I'm not saying it's not a good job, but most on this board couldn't cut it. They can barely use a screwdriver.
There are plenty of blue-collar workers across the country who work in those conditions yet don't get 6 figures. Why should these guys? What entitles them to it?

If the avg wage everywhere for such workers were 100k, I'd have no issue with it since it would obviously be justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Railroad employment is a "fraternity" of sorts, and an exclusive one at that.
Problem identified.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:26 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times
You need to take an exam first. My BIL took the test for Subway operator (MTA) and it took 6 years later before he got called. He took the test. Sometimes it's also who you know in this line fo work. Check online when the next test is. If all you had to do was send a resume to get hired then there would be no reason to have a test. BTW it's a civil service job. I cannot believe the op did not realize you must take an exam for the RR.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:57 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
more reason automation is the future. Human error has serious consequences. The days of punching ticket is a big joke.
If you pay a visit to the Automotive forum, you can find a number of threads started by over-sheltered children who have been misled to believe that a completely "self-driving" auto -- a fantasy out of George Jetson --is just around the corner.

Not likely -- too many variables, interacting (and conflicting) at an exponential rate; there will be progress, and driving will be safer, but in small increments here and there. And the same rules apply to rail operations. with a few exceptions -- an iron-mining operation in a remote part of Quebec and Labrador, a couple of mine-mouth power plants, and the completely-enclosed Grand Central-Times Square subway shuttle, railroad automation is a rarity; the lawsuit potential would be even greater if a robot, rather than a human overseer, failed to discharge its "duties".

Quote:
Railroad employment is a "fraternity" of sorts, and an exclusive one at that.
QUOTE=ovi8;46957170] Problem identified.[/quote]

Amtrak's New York Division, where I got my brief introduction to the industry, was part of the legacy of the Pennsylvania Railroad, by way of the Penn Central bankruptcy. When Amtrak assumed control in 1971, the operating department still depended mostly on a group of World War II veterans hired in the late Forties, and vey little hiring had been done since then, as the industry remained stagnant. But time and age were taking their toll, and Civil Rights reform guaranteed that a new set of rules would be imposed.

The management's response was to tighten discipline, and to add layers of redundancy -- the standard response when safety considerations intensify, and a diverse, rather than an ethnically-uniform This is a workforce with a great deal of pride and self-respect, and no place for the idiot who tries to listen to a commercial broadcast, text, and drive -- simultaneously.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 01-25-2017 at 05:07 PM..

Old 01-25-2017, 04:11 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
If you pay a visit to the Automotive forum, you can find a number of threads started by over-sheltered children who have been misled to believe that a completely "self-driving" auto -- a fantasy out of George Jetson --is just around the corner.
Its not around the corner but there is progress. Its a matter of when & how. Commercial jets have a lot of automation built in. Yes, there is still a need for pilot and co-pilot. I'm absolutely sure the unions will fight tooth & nails to make sure like we are operating as though we live in a black & white era

As for automobiles, I post there pretty often. Human error is still a major reason why there are accidents over malfunctioning car from the big automakers. Its quite amazing how much safety features in modern cars. Blind spot monitoring, Lane assist, sway warnings, radar cruise control, brake assist, etc....simply amazing. Of course its all useless if a driver is determine to plow into a brick wall

Old 01-25-2017, 04:33 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
There are plenty of blue-collar workers across the country who work in those conditions yet don't get 6 figures. Why should these guys? What entitles them to it?

If the avg wage everywhere for such workers were 100k, I'd have no issue with it since it would obviously be justified.

Problem identified.
In NY they DO. Stop with the workers across the country. We are talking about NYC. I sense jealousy, too bad you failed the test.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:31 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post

Problem identified.
That's not a fun nor easy job, what's the big issue with that salary? There are specialized blue collar jobs that pay very very well without a college degree in paper pushing. A friend of mine is a harbor pilot. He makes 600k a year, more than most high priced lawyers and brain surgeons (avg salary nationwide is 400k). 100k on LI isn't that big a deal.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:48 PM

717 posts, read 619,177 times
Please the lirr and there glorified mta police aka security guards that you never see is an all boys network. It's all who you know.

Plenty of families, friends, and cronies getting each other work.

My neighbor openly admitted his close family member got him in. He has a nice rap sheet also . I doubt his resume was professionally prepared But it was put on the top!

Old 01-25-2017, 07:58 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
Quote:
In NY they DO. Stop with the workers across the country. We are talking about NYC.
Salaries in NYC should be high if you are producing, generating revenue, have a special skill, or are in demand. The money that comes in from revenue is shared, without issue. The point is people who do common or mundane jobs, especially which don't typically go for that much anywhere, should not be making 6 figures. Just because "in NY they do" doesn't mean they should. And more importantly, just because they need it to survive somewhere, doesn't mean it's justified. That's what you'd call a handout, and there's plenty of begging for it going on in NY. And by begging I mean bullying. Oh hey let's strike!

Quote:
I sense jealousy, too bad you failed the test.
If only I wanted to do such a thing. Oh for sure, I'd trade my cushy job at home now for being out there.

No the word you're looking for is disgust. That's what you should sense. I have zero respect for anyone who makes 6 figures, specifically off the public, without having earned it. Not that people like you care about respect of course.

Quote:
This is a workforce with a great deal of pride and self-respect, and no place for the idiot who tries to listen to a commercial broadcast, text, and drive -- simultaneously.
What you call pride and self-respect is what they tell themselves so they don't feel bad about shutting the doors to those not like them. Just presume any new guy will be trouble. We see it all the time all around us. Gotta look out for each other, right?

Last edited by ovi8; 01-25-2017 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: