Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 11:17 AM

73 posts, read 92,672 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I am currently moving from Bayside, Queens to Long Island and looking at a house in the West End section of Garden City (Lincoln St). It is a few houses off the LIRR tracks (Hempstead line) at Stewart Manor stop and 5 min walk to NHP LIRR station.

Does anyone know how loud the LIRR is on the Hempstead line? That isn't the line they are proposing to add the 3rd rail to, right? I thought that was the main line near the NHP station.

I commute to NYC, so have both train options is a huge selling point for me in buying this crazy expensive home.

Thanks for any guidance on area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 12:04 PM

9 posts, read 8,601 times
The Hempstead line is not the one they are proposing the 3rd rail. The train is not that loud but the signals of the train coming in and leaving the station might bother some ppl. I suggest you drive by the area and listen to it with car windows closed (as if you are in the house). Hope this helps

Old 01-25-2017, 12:09 PM

73 posts, read 92,672 times
Thank you!

Old 01-25-2017, 12:17 PM

732 posts, read 883,622 times
I take the Hempstead branch trains every weekday and I can tell you that the trains honk while going through the streets.

I was at that house and the train did go by, you will hear the horns go off a couple of times due to NHP road and Covert St.
This was a turn off for me.

Although that branch doesn't get a lot of trains, you may be annoyed by the horns and bells.
I suggest you go there while the trains are running.

A house near NHP station is probably one of the worst. You will hear definitely hear the bells and diesel trains going by. That rail is also very active

Old 01-25-2017, 03:07 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I doubt you will hear the NHP train to any noticeable degree there. I used to live on the other side of the tracks and walking distance to SM station, the train noise is negligible, it comes into the station slowly and you might get one desultory honk of the horn as it does. It also only comes about once an hour.

Old 01-25-2017, 03:31 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
As previously suggested, I would sit in front of your potential home during rush hour and both in the car and our listen to the whistle yourself. I have a cousin who lives off the Wantagh Parkway essentially with a parallel block between him and the parkway. Especially in the winter time, you can hear the cars but not see them. There is a whooshing noise that is almost like white noise to me. What annoys me may not annoy you.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:38 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
As previously suggested, I would sit in front of your potential home during rush hour and both in the car and our listen to the whistle yourself. I have a cousin who lives off the Wantagh Parkway essentially with a parallel block between him and the parkway. Especially in the winter time, you can hear the cars but not see them. There is a whooshing noise that is almost like white noise to me. What annoys me may not annoy you.
Years ago a RE agent took me to see a home in Dix Hills. It was the eastern section nestled between the LIE and Northern State Parkway. Distance and tree masked the highway noise well, but you could still here the "white noise." I found it highly annoying.

What I found amazing was how they "marketed" the noise. The RE agent told me is was called the "Dix Hills Waterfall." According to her, it was a "desirable" feature denoting a status section of Dix Hills.

I couldn't help thinking of "The Emperors' New Clothes." Needless to say, I no longer dealt with that agent.

I get that it may not annoy some - but don't tell me that highway noise is a desirable trait for a wooded suburban neighborhood.

More to the topic... 100% to the suggestion of visiting the area during morning and afternoon rush. Go there at 6-7am if possible. That will give you the best indication of the actual noise level (if it exists to any degree).

Old 01-26-2017, 08:00 AM

48 posts, read 61,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Agreed. Best bet is to also listen while inside of home. A home near a crossing is probably the worst given the horns and bells. Between NHP and Merrilon crossings probably not as bad.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:31 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Good Lord, do people really need to be told that living near the train tracks is noisy? Don't you think there's a reason why houses near train tracks are cheaper? Do you think Garden City has some magical force field against noise?

Old 01-26-2017, 01:45 PM

9 posts, read 8,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Good Lord, do people really need to be told that living near the train tracks is noisy? Don't you think there's a reason why houses near train tracks are cheaper? Do you think Garden City has some magical force field against noise?
I don't think Liz is looking for ppl to tell her anything. House hunting is very stressful and most of the time ppl just want to talk and get feedbacks (both positive and negative) in the process of deciding whether they want to make that big purchase in life. Garden City doesn't have any magic for sure, but everyone have different tolerance level in terms of noise vs. convenience .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island