Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:32 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times

Advertisements

Like Big Barry's, does that mean they have the infamous Shotgun Blast?

I'll have to monitor the LI events web sites for the festivals and special events. Outside of the gas bill for the drive I'm looking forward to this trip, though it does sound like I'll have a tough time fitting all I want to do in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 04:53 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
I would definitely drive out to Montauk . It is a quieter version of The Hamptons.
About ten year ago my daughter and I were waiting on line at The Lobster Shack & all at once Sting was in front of us.

I said, "Oh, look. There's Sting !"
And she said, "Who, that old guy?!?"

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-08-2008 at 03:04 PM..

Old 03-03-2008, 04:55 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
I would definitely drive out to Montauk . As you know , it is a quieter version of The Hamptons.
About ten year ago my daughter and I were waiting on line at the Lobster Shack & Sting was in front of us.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-03-2008, 05:10 PM

128 posts, read 234,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I would definitely drive out to Montauk . As you know , it is a quieter version of The Hamptons.
About ten year ago my daughter and I were waiting on line at the Lobster Shack & Sting was in front of us.

...I have a Co-Op on Navy Road over there next to Sunset Grill. Can throw stones into the water from the porch+ make Beer can chicken&ribs, Barn fires on the beach at night?
Charlize Theron and this Irish gut was hanging one night, sure like the wine.
Hey I didnt know she's Afro American ?

I never eat out, it’s a waste of $$. I see them lines at "Clam and Chowder Restaurant" its nuts!!

Whats up with that Artie (Memory Motel) always fights and crummy AND I MEAN CRUMMY $7 drinks over there during summer !!

Old 03-03-2008, 05:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Montauk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I would definitely drive out th Montauk .

For those who may not be familiar with Montauk:

Montauk is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the extreme east part of the Town of East Hampton, on the eastern end of the South Fork in the extreme southeast part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Montauk is bordered on the north and east by Long Island Sound; on the south by the Atlantic Ocean; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Napeague.

The Hamlet of Montauk has a different border than does the "Montauk, NY 11954" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Montauk, NY 11954" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Montauk): places that have a "Montauk, NY 11954" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Montauk are in the Hamlet of Napeague.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-04-2008, 11:50 AM

220 posts, read 1,119,289 times
I just want to mention that a drive from Riverhead to Montauk in summer will easily take you two hours, perhaps longer. I just looked at Google maps, and from Route 58, where you plan to stay, to Montauk is "44.7 mi – about 1 hour 18 mins." In summer traffic it will be much longer.

For nightlife, you can also look at the schedule for the Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center, which is about 10-15 minutes south of Riverhead.
Westhampton Beach Performing Arts Center, Long Island, New York
They get some well-known acts, particularly in summer time.

Also, you mentioned looking out for the local festivals. I don't know when you plan to come, but there's an annual blues festival that you might want to aim for, or to avoid, depending on your preference. It overtakes downtown Riverhead for a weekend, usually the 2nd or 3rd weekend in July.
Riverhead Blues Festival, 2007
(They've had funding problems, so I can't even vouch for its 2008 existence, but I'm sure you can call around to check.)

Old 03-04-2008, 12:08 PM

210 posts, read 671,518 times
Also... great Ice Cream at SNOWFLAKE in Riverhead.

Snowflake Ice Cream Shoppe, Riverhead NY, Established 1954.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:20 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Why not check out the pine barrens instead? You can even camp in some places.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:28 PM

What route? I take the bus and it's no picnic, especially with the illegals, we are inundated with them here in Nassau, you pick more up at every stop, then they have a fiesta in the back of the bus.
Suffolk's buses aren't nearly as crowded except for the S92, that's a horror show, you're lucky to fit on in summer with all the illegals.
Mid-Brookhaven Suffolk routes are better, esp with CBS, but the S58 gets alot of trash goin to social services on Coram.
The ocean or bay is a better place, which is why I suggested to the OP the pine barrens. Sears-Bellows is real pretty plus it has some pretty clean lakes. They'll have peace and quiet and scenery. Splish-splash, I wouldn't go there, we always pick up a bunch of rowdy kids goin' there on the S58, usually from the Coram area. On weekdays too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoastBeefJackson View Post
No public pools for me, they gross me out to many germs !
I'm actually more a lake or ocean person and I hate crowds. Im around people all day driving a bus. (and some are rather repulsive let me tell ya)
I couldnt post what I have experienced here - - the Mod's would blow there gasket's. Im sure you know where I'm coming from

With gas hitting over $4 a gallon for summer as our goverment continues to print its own money to spent.

I'm thinking about getting one of them 2 seater Ocean Kayaks and mounting some fishing poles, cooler, motorcycle battery & motor. I also have camper van, scuba and snorkling gear.
The Peconic bay is quite cleaned up and warm by July you just need to find an acess point.
Its also heathier, since its great excercise

Old 03-07-2008, 09:29 PM

Well I hope that aint the Nassau BSA because they got that beautiful camp in Wading River with a nice pond in the pine barrens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
As I said, I live very close by and we go a few times a summer-NEVER ON A WEEKEND OR HOLIDAY! Always get there early, never without a major coupon of some kind. Its not luxurious but on weekdays its not skeevy because its mostly camp kids. I'm a MAJOR germ-a-phobe & I do think most of the "pools" have chlorine in them, I remember smelling it.
IMO you have better chance of getting sick from a dirty fork in Applebees(barf) than from the butt-wash at SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island