Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:02 AM

73 posts, read 385,176 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I recently moved back home to Long Island (Nassau County) after living in Florida. I am working on my masters full-time and thinking about where I want to live next year, depending on where I get a job of course. I am not a city person, but realize that the social life here on Long Island (for singles) seems pretty dry, or maybe I don't know where to go? A place like Great Neck would be good b/c it's closer to the city but still suburban (to reside and go out). Any recommendations on places to live for a single in her late 20s, and where to go out?

Anyone heard of XO Bar (something like that) in Great Neck? Seems they have a singles night...

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 08:11 AM

327 posts, read 1,063,531 times
Most singles usually end up in Long Beach since its a party town during the summer. They have a train station there if you want to go into the city.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times
Rockville Centre might be another good choice for you, possibly Huntington if you want to live further east.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:01 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,238 times
Huntington would be a great choice...a bit further out, but there's tons to do in town.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:16 PM

128 posts, read 234,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Woman View Post
Anyone heard of XO Bar (something like that) in Great Neck? Seems they have a singles night...

THANKS!
I drive past that, I think it was once called "the Clairidge" The locals call it "Divorce Court".
Do you like 55 year old Great Neck guys with bad wigs and lots of $$ ?
Most the fun suff up there is in Bayside.

In 2007 Great Neck is overcrowded, not worth what it costs IMO.
Many housewives like it, they can shop, dine, get nails and hair done drive like Mario Andretti on drugs with there workahaulic husband's money.
Lots of single and divorced people up there that for sure but it has its good points

Nothing like having a late lunch in Great Neck plaza, Its great ! There is this Kosher Deli that makes this huge Corned Beef&pickle sandwitch.
I add some personal rip tubes of mayonase, pepper buy a cherry Coke. Nothing like that... wile watching 2 Persion Princesses go at full tilt in Farsi and hands outside the salon other over a parking space.

There is another strip of high end shopping and salons that attracts nuts its that down Northern (East) towards Roslyn where overweight soccer moms kill go at it with SUV's (The mile)
Reminds me of old Brooklyn days watching Channel 47 wrestling with my Grandfather on Sundays

-RBJ

Last edited by RoastBeefJackson; 03-02-2008 at 03:30 PM..

Old 03-02-2008, 05:10 PM

Thanks so much, everyone!!

I feel like Long Beach may be "too" party-ish for me. I'm turning 28 this summer and am kind of done with the crazy partying stage. I like hanging out in places that have a 30s, more laid-back crowd. I have definitely heard good things about Rockville Centre!

As for Huntington, do you all mean by Huntington Village?

I think that bar I inquired about closed down. Any good recommendations for places for me to go out to, that have good singles scenes?

Old 03-02-2008, 05:25 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,131 times
It's not in Nassau, but I agree with RoastBeefJackson about Bayside. I lived in Whitestone when I was single, and found that Bell Blvd. had a decent social scene. Otherwise, I also think RVC may fit the bill for you. Are you planning to rent or buy? I am not sure what the rental situation is like there.

If you're open to things like speed dating, it's fairly easy to find events. As I was the very last of my friends to marry, I found that I tended to go to organized events like these where lots of people showed up alone, as opposed to going to a bar just to hang out by myself.

Edited to add: Meetup.com is also a great way to meet people- they have lots of singles groups.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:08 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
I'll second Huntington and RVC, I've never spent much time in the Babylon bars but they seem like they attract the type of yuppie male clientèle you're probably seeking. Farmingdale and Wantagh are also good, more of a mixed crowd (younger and older). I used to take the train between RVC, Bellmore and Wantagh some weekend nights so if you live near a train station you can hit all these places for real cheap, if they even check your tickets! Nautical Mile in Freeport is great, but dead in the winter.....

They say you do better finding "singles" in the supermarket or the gym anyway, screw bars....personally I'll take some gin mill dive over a meat market any day of the week

I know you said you're not into the city, but what about a place like Greenpoint, Brooklyn Heights, Astoria, etc....LI has it's spots, but places like that are really your best bet.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:49 PM

Thanks again, everyone.

I think I may live at home for a while longer until I have a steady teaching job- THEN decide what to do. However I thank you all for your advice. I will check meetup.com.. I have done speed dating in the past and it was a bit scary! But I am trying to date someone who is my same religion (Jewish).. so Jewish speed dating may be different than a regular speed dating, I'm not sure.

I will bookmark this thread so I can continue to come back to it!

Old 03-03-2008, 07:12 PM

244 posts, read 669,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Woman View Post
so Jewish speed dating may be different than a regular speed dating

That is Hilarious!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island