Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 01:26 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
You might could get into something in Northport at $475k. Beware the village taxes. It has a nice Main Street with shops and restaurants and great schools.
I think you could get into Northport at $475k if you are patient. You could definitely get into East Northport or outside of the incorporated section of Northport. Great community, schools, pretty much everything if you can handle the commute (or don't have one). Taxes are among the most reasonable on LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 07:55 PM

245 posts, read 319,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
I think you could get into Northport at $475k if you are patient. You could definitely get into East Northport or outside of the incorporated section of Northport. Great community, schools, pretty much everything if you can handle the commute (or don't have one). Taxes are among the most reasonable on LI.
Northport is probably one of the best values on the island granted how nice it is. Prices haven't recovered as quickly as nassau, leading to a weird dynamic of crappier areas being more expensive than extremely nice areas just due to the "wave" of price increases starting west and heading east. The downside is the commute isnt great from there.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
Northport is probably one of the best values on the island granted how nice it is. Prices haven't recovered as quickly as nassau, leading to a weird dynamic of crappier areas being more expensive than extremely nice areas just due to the "wave" of price increases starting west and heading east. The downside is the commute isnt great from there.
Every once in a while we see eye to eye.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:26 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
While it's a great idea to look around both Nassau and Suffolk County, please talk to a qualified loan officer (not someone who'll give you a quick answer after 15 minutes on the phone) to find out what your possible purchase price could be (depending on down payment, interest rate and approx. RE taxes for example).

With that amount "in hand", you'll be able to better focus just on areas within your budget. (Greenlawn might be another possibility.)

Good luck with your search!

Old 02-01-2017, 09:01 AM

245 posts, read 319,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Every once in a while we see eye to eye.
If anything, it sounds like you're coming around to my philosophy on the trade-off between commute and value

Old 02-01-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
If anything, it sounds like you're coming around to my philosophy on the trade-off between commute and value
Well, not exactly, but the facts are the facts and people need to be upfront about the trade-offs of each approach.

Now, if my wife and I both worked on the Rt. 110 corridor, on the other hand...

Old 02-01-2017, 04:02 PM

16 posts, read 11,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachspeech View Post
I do want a neighborhood with a "city" feel, does that make sense? I like Huntington Village because of the shops and restaurants and seems to be convenient but the homes near the village are not in our price range.
I do prefer the north shore.
Northport is one of the few areas on LI that has a nice downtown and terrific sense of community without the strong aura of 'douchebag' hovering within it.

As a Queens guy, I'm telling you - you don't quite capture this when you visit. But once you live here....

We spend plenty of time in Northport during the summer and regret not buying there. Southern Nassau - the so-called "Riv" - is douche-haven.

My .02 to ponder or pitch.....

Old 02-01-2017, 04:43 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You want small town community feel you need to move off the island. Out of the metro area.
Upstate, parts of Connecticut, Pennsylvania.
Hell, I know a Nassau County employee who commutes to Mineola 4 days a week from Pennsylvania. It's doable.
whatever you do in your house search just make sure you do one thing - ignore everything hotkarl has to say about....well, everything.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:43 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
whatever you do in your house search just make sure you do one thing - ignore everything hotkarl has to say about....well, everything.
Everything?
C'mon I'm not *that* bad...
Once in a while I contribute some useful information and advice.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammit hes back View Post
Northport is one of the few areas on LI that has a nice downtown and terrific sense of community without the strong aura of 'douchebag' hovering within it.

As a Queens guy, I'm telling you - you don't quite capture this when you visit. But once you live here....

We spend plenty of time in Northport during the summer and regret not buying there. Southern Nassau - the so-called "Riv" - is douche-haven.

My .02 to ponder or pitch.....
Haha. I'd love to see quality polling people's satisfaction with their neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island