Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 02:35 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times

Advertisements

Boy isn't that the truth!

I last grieved mine 3 years ago. It went to the Supreme Court and lost. That pretty much ended my hope of a reduction. On the bright side they have hardly went up at all since. Weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The real grieving is when you hear about what friends who left LI pay in property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 04:37 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I grieved my NC taxes last year. You can take the girl out of Long Island, but you can't take the Long Island out of the girl!

P.S. I won.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:13 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
The aggressive solution he implemented has saved the county between $115 million and $299 million, depending upon various factors estimated by Newsday, including inflation and the effect of a recently launched program for commercial property refunds. But the savings came at the price of the growing disparities, which were widely predicted as they were being implemented.

The solution involved, first, awarding deeply discounted reductions on far more appealed properties than ever in an effort to save money by settling cases before tax refunds had to be paid and, second, an assessment freeze that locked in those reductions from year to year.
So it seems I should be among MANY others who've had their low assessments remain year after year. So why is it that people grieve, year after year? If your house is now assessed at $400k (market value $600k), how are you going to find sales comps below $400k to prove your case? Is anyone actually getting further reductions beyond the first time after the year-to-year freeze and how substantial?

Last edited by ovi8; 02-03-2017 at 05:35 PM..

Old 02-03-2017, 05:43 PM

When the upcoming county-wide reassessment occurs, I hope it throws numbers way off for everyone. In turn I hope it causes such an uproar among homeowners that more light is publicly shed into where taxes are actually going. Nowadays there are more media (medium) for coverage and discussion.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:20 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I grieved my NC taxes last year. You can take the girl out of Long Island, but you can't take the Long Island out of the girl!

P.S. I won.
That's funny, because it's exactly the way my mind works. The state I'm moving to has taxes 80% lower than I pay now. Still, I plan to grieve my taxes and shave off some more. I doubt anyone in the state does this.

A LI girl understands.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:29 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
So it seems I should be among MANY others who've had their low assessments remain year after year. So why is it that people grieve, year after year? If your house is now assessed at $400k (market value $600k), how are you going to find sales comps below $400k to prove your case? Is anyone actually getting further reductions beyond the first time after the year-to-year freeze and how substantial?
I got another 8 percent this year after getting 24 percent last year. I dont even think you need to "prove your case". If yoy have a $600k house submit the application and say it's worth 300k and don't provide any comps.
I'm a wimp so I keep using a firm, but I think that's really how it works. That's what someone I know does and his taxes are less than $8,000 so he must be doing something right. I'm gonna get so hosed by the firm for the 24% reduction that the single digit reduction I got this year and may get next year don't phase me at all.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:47 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
News 12/Newsday report: Separate and unequal tax burden | News 12 Long Island

Old 02-03-2017, 09:38 PM

^ certainly a huge boon for tax grievance firms. Today alone I received more letters from 3 of them. Don't feed the beast.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:13 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
I got another 8 percent this year after getting 24 percent last year. I dont even think you need to "prove your case". If yoy have a $600k house submit the application and say it's worth 300k and don't provide any comps.
I'm a wimp so I keep using a firm, but I think that's really how it works. That's what someone I know does and his taxes are less than $8,000 so he must be doing something right. I'm gonna get so hosed by the firm for the 24% reduction that the single digit reduction I got this year and may get next year don't phase me at all.
I tried a couple times on my own and got nowhere till I hired a firm.

It's obviously worth it even if you only get a little off - all your future tax hikes even if you don't win in the future will be based off the lower assessment. That's why I grieved mine. They are going to reassess more often down here and I want to keep my basis as low as possible for as long as possible.

The person on this thread who complained about paying the firm shows the big problem with Long Islanders and the reason why this situation has gotten completely out of control there - people just get used to their mortgage going up a little every year with the tax increases. If people paid their own taxes there would be much more of an uproar.

Old 02-04-2017, 03:05 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
Once in a while I see a real estate listing for a modest house sitting on the market for a long time, with immense tax burden that sticks out. The listings say something like, "taxes not grieved for 10 years" or similar.

Let's say you buy a house like this, with a tax bill of $14K a year, while neighbors are paying $10K because they grieved. How soon can that tax bill be lowered? Will a new owner grieving taxes for the first time be able to correct this in one year, or will the tax bill be too high for many years to come? Will this house have higher taxes forever?

I grieve myself every year and don't use a service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: