Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 08:50 AM

22,661 posts, read 36,747,725 times

Advertisements

We had Whirlpool in our NY house 13 years old and going strong when we moved. We have Whirlpool here as well and only complete is washer is super noisy. My mom has a GE I think and you can't hear the thing AT ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,752,174 times
brand quality can differ from model to model. Spend a few bucks and get Consumer Reports. Or read online reviews.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM

36 posts, read 33,574 times
We've had a good experience with Whirlpool. We had one that came with the house that must have been 25 years old and still worked fine. We later replaced it with a new model 8 years ago during a remodel. There was nothing wrong with the old one, but we wanted a frontloader. With a family this washer/dryer set has been running almost daily with no issues. No complaints here.

My brother had an LG - he liked the high tech bling look of them. Unfortunately, it had two computer boards replaced - one was under warranty - one just after warranty that they would not fix. Needless to say he was not happy with the experience. My inlaws bought a fancy metallic red electrolux washer/dryer. They looked beautiful, but they complained endlessly about the fact that it uses very little water due to its euro standards - which sounds nice and environmental, except the clothes don't come clean unless you throw only a very few items in - even though it has a fullsize tub. They thought it was broken, since it only had a fingers depth of water, but that was the way it was designed. If they wanted to clean something like a comforter they have to dump water in with a bucket, LOL.

Good luck with your purchase.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:10 AM

730 posts, read 1,655,722 times
LG front loader washer and electric dryer.

Washer had some issue with a sensor on the back of the machine, I found the diagnosis and repair on youtube, bought the part & fixed it for $60. A year later the bearing and the "spider" that hold the drum in place both failed and repair parts prices were ridiculous. The machine was only about 5 years old. (Wife does laundry every day). A local repair place told me Whirlpool has a better design for the tub (front load) and this wouldn't happen with a Whirlpool.

The LG dryer, while it has not failed, does usually take 1.5 cycles to dry the clothes. I have taken the machine apart and there is no blockages and the technician says the element either works or not - so it's not the element.

Long story short - NOT a fan of the LG product.

Old 02-19-2017, 04:56 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,403,121 times
Just buy an old school top load washer, and front load dryer. They will last a long time. My front load maytag washer and dryer has needed repair multiple times in the last year(they are 6 yrs old). Only good thing is, I have repaired them myself. Parts are pricy though. My next set will be the "old" ones. BTW, all the brands are made by one company, yes, you read that right.

Old 02-19-2017, 06:33 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,222,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
The LG dryer, while it has not failed, does usually take 1.5 cycles to dry the clothes. I have taken the machine apart and there is no blockages and the technician says the element either works or not - so it's not the element.

Long story short - NOT a fan of the LG product.
Exactly the same experience. Multiple cycles required yet no blockage, etc.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:02 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,641,265 times
I've had a front loading Whirlpool washer and dryer on coordinating pedestals (they save your back) - still going strong after 8.5 years. Pricey - BUT I shopped sales, and ended up with half price floor sample models (grey - didn't care about the color) from P.C. Richards. So 50% off -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: