Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 09:09 AM

147 posts, read 433,610 times

Advertisements

Are there any trains that originate in Penn or do they all originate in Boston? I am trying to determine the likelihood of sitting together as a family of 4 while travelling in July and see what I can do to maximize those chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 09:20 AM

625 posts, read 902,860 times
https://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak or take a $40 flight.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:59 AM

551 posts, read 1,575,840 times
The flight is nowhere near $40. Most trains originate in Boston or further north. There are a few trains that are destined for the Carolinas or Florida that originate in NY. For whatever reason, they tend to cost somewhat more money. There also is a train or two that originate up north but do not come through Boston to NYC, that might have less business travelers.

Group seat availability on the trains that originate in Boston is hit or miss unless you want to shell out for business class. If it happens to rain that day, business travelers forego the shuttle for the train in droves. If you take a midday train, you might have better luck.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:54 AM

147 posts, read 433,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
The flight is nowhere near $40. Most trains originate in Boston or further north. There are a few trains that are destined for the Carolinas or Florida that originate in NY. For whatever reason, they tend to cost somewhat more money. There also is a train or two that originate up north but do not come through Boston to NYC, that might have less business travelers.

Group seat availability on the trains that originate in Boston is hit or miss unless you want to shell out for business class. If it happens to rain that day, business travelers forego the shuttle for the train in droves. If you take a midday train, you might have better luck.

Thanks.

What about on weekends. Would my chances be better or should I still try business?

Old 02-23-2017, 08:02 PM

551 posts, read 1,575,840 times
I travel this route with some frequency for work, so can't comment much on weekends. There is a significant politico contingent that commutes to Washington for work week, so Saturday or early sunday is probably better than late Sunday in the summer.

People tend to be accommodating. If you stay off rush hour trains, you will probably be fine or at worst 2 and 2. A fair amount of people exit at Newark, metropark and Philly, so your situation may improve. There are facing booths with a table on the train that are well suited for 4 travelling together. I would not pay for business class -- better to pony up for the Acela that cuts 45 minutes off the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: