Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 07:47 AM

168 posts, read 289,405 times

Advertisements

Hi,

There are lots of Irish, Italian, Portuguese, Polish and Latin American people in parts of Long Island, so there are lots of Catholic churches. From the wikipedia:

"According to a 2000 report on religion, which asked congregations to respond, Catholics are the largest religious group on Long Island, with non-affiliated in second place. Catholics make up 52% of the population of Nassau and Suffolk, versus 22% for the country as a whole, with Jews at 16% and 7%, respectively, versus 1.7% nationwide.[56] Only a small percentage of Protestants responded, 7% and 8% respectively, for Nassau and Suffolk counties. This is in contrast with 23% for the entire country on the same survey, and 50% on self-identification surveys.[56]"

Many Catholic parishes have a Family Mass where nobody will complain about noisy kids... because most of them will have a few of those. We attended St Aidan's at Williston Park for several years, with 2 young kinds and never had a problem. Music there is sort of classic with emphasis in kids choir. Not guitar oriented. The lead soprano (kids conductor) has a phenomenal voice.

Now we attend St. Philip Neri in Northport and it's very child friendly.... they get the kids to the altar once in a while while the sermon and the priest in the family mass is very positive and kids can understand him. Lots of kids! Music is more guitar (band) oriented though.

Related with Conservative/Liberal, my suggestion is that you check some of churches first and decide for yourself. There are very conservative ones and more liberal ones. The good thing is that in 5 miles around your house you will probably have several Catholic churches to attend to and you could choose the best fit for your family.

Regards,
Hipo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 07:52 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,857,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyZoe View Post
My family is contemplating a move to Long Island. We're looking for a community with an active Catholic church that is very family friendly (we have 4 kids ages 8 and under) and more conservative/traditional in liturgy (i.e. more organ music, less guitar). The schools are less important because I will probably homeschool. The job is in Hicksville so it needs to be within a 30-minute drive. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
The churches that I've seen that get decently filled up during masses - St. Anne's in Stewart Manor, and St. Agnes in Rockville. Not that you would be interested, but St. Anne's has a good homey parochial school in case you change your mind.

In terms of conservatism, I would say St. Matthew in Dix Hills (they still have the tridentine mass), and St Pius V in Oyster Bay (same - traditional Latin/tridentine).

Old 03-13-2017, 08:05 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
St Pats in both Huntington & Smithtown.
St Barnabas in Bellmore
St Catherine of Sienna in Franklin Square (great priests)
St. Philips & James , St James NY

All very good churches that I have been part of is some form....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island