Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 05:46 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What a bunch of whiners! There is something seriously wrong with someone who moves away from an area they couldn't get along with and then spends all their spare time complaining about it. But they're happy being miserable now even though they're a thousand or more miles away.

I've lived on Long Island almost my entire life and can only recall a few years when snow cover lasted more than a week but I can remember year after year of beautiful springs, sunny summers and crisp fall air. And I went to great schools, too.
Honestly curious who you are referring to with the 1st paragraph.

As for the 2nd paragraph - how long is your "entire life"? and what is "snow cover", does it include the piles of black snow on the sides of roads and piled against light poles in parking lots? Your weather argument doesn't hold water - literally... at least for anyone who grew up on LI and knows the reality of how long snow does stay around in the Winter. The shoulder seasons are great in lots of places. It's the heat of the Summer and cold of the Winter that people complain about... and the "great schools" comment seems like an afterthought and randomly thrown in - also curious to get the context of what school you define as great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 05:55 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

As for the 2nd paragraph - how long is your "entire life"? and what is "snow cover", does it include the piles of black snow on the sides of roads and piled against light poles in parking lots? Your weather argument doesn't hold water - literally... at least for anyone who grew up on LI and knows the reality of how long snow does stay around in the Winter. The shoulder seasons are great in lots of places. It's the heat of the Summer and cold of the Winter that people complain about... and the "great schools" comment seems like an afterthought and randomly thrown in - also curious to get the context of what school you define as great.
We know Mikeykid NC is the best, blah blah blah low taxes, blah blah better schools than LI' blah blah live in a McMansion, You've already told us 10,000 times.

Old 03-14-2017, 06:59 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
without knowing your savings... 90k = 3-bed starter house in the low-mid 300s if that's ok with you until you settle with a new job.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:55 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I've lived on Long Island almost my entire life and can only recall a few years when snow cover lasted more than a week but I can remember year after year of beautiful springs, sunny summers and crisp fall air. And I went to great schools, too.
Spring and fall are definitely the best times on LI. However, you must have a short memory because in the past 15 years alone I can recall at least 5 years of blizzards and considerable snow cover. 2 years ago I had snow cover the entire month of February. It's part of the climate and the reason LI has great weather in the spring and fall.

Living in the USA permits us to choose just about any climate, which is better than say Canada. But the negatives of LI are also very clear - high taxes, high cost of living, high population density, and only average job opportunities for non-NYC commuters. The median weekly wage is the same as in NC. This isn't whining, it's the truth.

Schools are consistently good, which is important. But unfortunately you pay 2x what others pay and yet the outcomes aren't significantly better - and may not be better than someone living elsewhere with a lower COL and private schools.

My advise to the OP is the same as others - do not move here unless you have a game plan that earns you AT LEAST the 1.5x the median household income - that means $150K for Nassau County, $130K for Suffolk. When a police officer married to a teacher can make $250K combined, keep this in mind. That is a usual gauge for middle class living.

Take a look at the following. My suggestion is to use Asian or Non-Hispanic White as a guide.

http://statisticalatlas.com/county/N...usehold-Income

Last edited by markjames68; 03-14-2017 at 08:22 AM..

Old 03-14-2017, 08:23 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

Lastly, who is your daddy and what does he do?

Old 03-14-2017, 08:34 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Just two short years ago, there was snow on the ground from Christa Eve until mid March. An aberration for sure but it does happen.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:34 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
We know Mikeykid NC is the best, blah blah blah low taxes, blah blah better schools than LI' blah blah live in a McMansion, You've already told us 10,000 times.
I don't read the forums every day, let alone post often. This one caught my eye because a GA to LI move is pretty off the wall. So I posted and kokoloco was out of line - called it out.

For the record, I wouldn't classify myself as the "NC is great" guy... more a generic "LI basher". There is a difference. It may be subtle to you - I have never tried to convince someone to move to NC specifically, more like a GTFO before it's too late tact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Lastly, who is your daddy and what does he do?
I LOL'd.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:55 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Spring and fall are definitely the best times on LI. However, you must have a short memory because in the past 15 years alone I can recall at least 5 years of blizzards and considerable snow cover. 2 years ago I had snow cover the entire month of February. It's part of the climate and the reason LI has great weather in the spring and fall.

Living in the USA permits us to choose just about any climate, which is better than say Canada. But the negatives of LI are also very clear - high taxes, high cost of living, high population density, and only average job opportunities for non-NYC commuters. The median weekly wage is the same as in NC. This isn't whining, it's the truth.

Schools are consistently good, which is important. But unfortunately you pay 2x what others pay and yet the outcomes aren't significantly better - and may not be better than someone living elsewhere with a lower COL and private schools.

My advise to the OP is the same as others - do not move here unless you have a game plan that earns you AT LEAST the 1.5x the median household income - that means $150K for Nassau County, $130K for Suffolk. When a police officer married to a teacher can make $250K combined, keep this in mind. That is a usual gauge for middle class living.

Take a look at the following. My suggestion is to use Asian or Non-Hispanic White as a guide.

I'd go with this. Be prepared to either get job teaching in an LI school district, which after awhile will pay well, or commute to NYC (Manhattan) to make a good salary. A house on the Nassau/Suffolk county line will be about an hour commute to Penn Station on the LIRR and then additional time to get to your job. Going downtown or further up in midtown can add an additional 20 to 30 minutes.

Regarding climate, from about November to April, average temperatures are probably mid 50's or below. LI is just as likely to have a short spring (temps in the low 60's to the end of May) as a normal or warmer one. Snow is not that big of deal as blizzards are not that frequent as getting a couple of inches a few times a year are. Being surrounded by water, most of LI frequently gets more rain than NJ, upstate NY and Conn. during winter storms.

For the OP, you need to square your your husband's dislike of the south and desire to move back home to where his family is vs your feelings of leaving the south and living on LI. Would the feelings be reversed if you moved?

Old 03-14-2017, 10:01 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I'd go with this. Be prepared to either get job teaching in an LI school district, which after awhile will pay well, or commute to NYC (Manhattan) to make a good salary. A house on the Nassau/Suffolk county line will be about an hour commute to Penn Station on the LIRR and then additional time to get to your job. Going downtown or further up in midtown can add an additional 20 to 30 minutes.

Regarding climate, from about November to April, average temperatures are probably mid 50's or below. LI is just as likely to have a short spring (temps in the low 60's to the end of May) as a normal or warmer one. Snow is not that big of deal as blizzards are not that frequent as getting a couple of inches a few times a year are. Being surrounded by water, most of LI frequently gets more rain than NJ, upstate NY and Conn. during winter storms.

For the OP, you need to square your your husband's dislike of the south and desire to move back home to where his family is vs your feelings of leaving the south and living on LI. Would the feelings be reversed if you moved?
And those commutes assume all aligns. Any delay on the LIRR can add to it considerably. My commute from mid Suffolk to near Central Park (when needed) averages 2 hours door to door.

Old 03-14-2017, 01:54 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Just two short years ago, there was snow on the ground from Christa Eve until mid March. An aberration for sure but it does happen.
Yes, that was one of the few in more than sixty years. Snow has been on the ground here for less than a week this time and will be gone by tomorrow. The horror.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island