Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2017, 06:30 AM

5,291 posts, read 4,755,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Good Luck trying to get homeowners insurance! I had a very difficult time! Abandon the tank ASAP! 4k +/- can save you a headache & EPA lawsuits should you have a problem!

Make SURE you also get a certificate from the Co abandon the tank as proof it was done. That 4K +/- is just to seal it with foam. To actually take it out would probably cost twice as much.
Interesting you mention insurance. As I understand it only a few companies even cover oil spills State Farm and I believe Allstate are among the few. Another thing for the OP to consider.

Also EPA has nothing to do with oil tank spills, it's the NYS DEC. if there is Spill/soil contamination you get a spill number if you don't remediate within a certain amount of time you get warnings and eventually fines.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 07:12 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,523,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Interesting you mention insurance. As I understand it only a few companies even cover oil spills State Farm and I believe Allstate are among the few. Another thing for the OP to consider.

Also EPA has nothing to do with oil tank spills, it's the NYS DEC. if there is Spill/soil contamination you get a spill number if you don't remediate within a certain amount of time you get warnings and eventually fines.

I'm not talking about "covering you, should you have a spill"
Mine would NOT cover me at all because of a buried tank. I went through 4-5 insurance carriers before I found one to insure my home when I first purchased it.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I'm not talking about "covering you, should you have a spill"
Mine would NOT cover me at all because of a buried tank. I went through 4-5 insurance carriers before I found one to insure my home when I first purchased it.
Uh I wasn't saying that's what you meant. I was just adding that info for the Op's benefit. Try actually reading my post.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:34 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,523,044 times
Quote:
Uh I wasn't saying that's what you meant. I was just adding that info for the Op's benefit. Try actually reading my post.
:-)

Old 03-15-2017, 09:11 AM

22,660 posts, read 36,729,080 times
Quote:
Its crazy that the seller agreed to a soil test. If oil is found the DEC has to be notified and the seller could be stuck with a cleanup that could cost them thousands. Even if the test comes back clean abandon the tank. Do not remove. If you remove they will do another soil test and if anything is found you are stuck with the bill. Abandonment does not require testing. Then you can get a new above ground outside the home or in your basement.
I agree with all of this. I can't believe their lawyer and/or RE agent has advised this is a good idea.

If the tank is being used, what do you want them to do? Abandon the tank and put in a basement or outside tank?

Are you talking about putting a full basement under your addition? If not then the abandoned tank should not be an issue.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:14 AM

21 posts, read 19,058 times
There's different rules in Nassau vs. Suffolk as far as abandonment goes. When we bought our house in Suffolk two years ago it had a large (550 gallon) in ground oil tank that was still in use. Fortunately in Suffolk no testing needs to be done before or after abandonment. We got a couple of quotes, and ended up going through Meenan for both the abandonment as well as the installation of a new above ground tank. We did not have room in our basement, so we ended up selecting a high end Roth 275 gallon outdoor tank. Total cost for everything was $5200.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cefed4 View Post
There's different rules in Nassau vs. Suffolk as far as abandonment goes. When we bought our house in Suffolk two years ago it had a large (550 gallon) in ground oil tank that was still in use. Fortunately in Suffolk no testing needs to be done before or after abandonment. We got a couple of quotes, and ended up going through Meenan for both the abandonment as well as the installation of a new above ground tank. We did not have room in our basement, so we ended up selecting a high end Roth 275 gallon outdoor tank. Total cost for everything was $5200.
No testing in Nassau either for abandonment. Only removal.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree with all of this. I can't believe their lawyer and/or RE agent has advised this is a good idea.
Yeah that's crazy. I'd let the buyer walk before I allowed soil testing unless i was completely desperate to sell for some reason. A friend of mine bought a house last year and found out the house had an oil spill number in the past, it was because the owner decided to remove rather than abandon the tank. The test was positive and cost them 20k in remediation tearing apart the yard.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:29 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,531,950 times
Shoot me a DM......I will explain to you your options.

There is a lot of good and bad/wrong advice being given on this thread.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:06 PM

1,184 posts, read 719,377 times
Statefarm wouldn't insure my house with the underground tank...converting to gas is best idea, abandoning and replacing with above ground which will cost close to a full gas conversion would be my second choice. Dont test the soil its opening pandora's box
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: