Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 1,841 times

Advertisements

Hi there, just about 2 years ago I had to move out of Queens due to family quarrel. My cousin who lives in Glen Cove, Nassau county told me there was an empty apartment in the one family house she rents from. I came and looked at it, th apartment was filthy, yellowing walls floors were ripped apart so I said no and she insisted she wanted me since she'd rather have family living downstairs. So I suggested to the landlord that we make some repairs and fix somethings up and he told me to do what I want and he's take it out of the rent. So I took the apartment stupidly thinking I wouldn't stay longer than a year. Now I'm here and I'm wondering many things. First off, I'm not asking this to get away with not paying rent but just to know my right. It is a legal one familyhouse and the apartment I live in doesn't have a bathroom in it. The bathroom is near the garage which is commonly accessed by many people (many times I've come out of the shower and awkwardly saw my landlord standing there with my cousins husband). Secondly, this landlord is very special in the sense that he does not like to repair anything and expects the tenants to do everything from shoveling to repairs. The upstairs apartment had a major leak and this affected my apartment and now I have black mold growing. When I told him about it he told me: "what you're going to do for me is take some bleach and spray it down". No discount on the rent for doing that for him meaning I'm directly improving HIS home and harming MY health or nothing. Just a demand by him. I have asthma and many upper respiratory infections lately (assuming from this black mold growth since I am allergic to mold among many other things) but he had no consideration for these facts. I am tired of giving him the rent and getting nothing in return that a normal landlord should be providing and also this house being a detriment to my health. What rights do I have ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 11:17 AM

602 posts, read 1,263,989 times
You should move.

Seriously. I'm sure you have legal rights and all, but do you really want to get locked into a legal battle with guy and try to get him to fix up your crappy apartment? Just chalk it up as a learning experience and move on ASAP. If not sooner!

Last edited by daaver; 03-15-2017 at 11:30 AM..

Old 03-15-2017, 11:37 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Just move. Do it. Do it.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:39 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Why would you stay there for 2 years in such horrible conditions. Give your 30 day notice and move out.

Old 03-15-2017, 11:42 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Your cousin most likely wanted you because she knew this was not a legal apartment; maybe she is even getting a reduction in rent for bringing a tentant for an illegal apartment.
No bathroom?? And you're still living there???

Please, do yourself a favor and move--a.s.a.p. If anyone reports the situation, the Town will tell you to move anyway; might as well do it on your time line.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:09 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Move out ASAP! find another place soon!

Old 03-15-2017, 08:20 PM

6 posts, read 10,888 times
Get out ASAP! Mold can be extremely dangerous to your health.

Old 03-16-2017, 06:01 AM

755 posts, read 1,080,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamousam View Post
What rights do I have ?
Your Best option:
You have the rights to move. As everyone said. Exercise said rights immediately and just GET OUT!

Your waste of money option:
You have the rights to hire an attorney. Who can then open an escrow account for you to deposit your rent while you seek legal retribution against your LL.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:24 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Get the hell out of there.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:39 PM

738 posts, read 585,574 times
Renters are at the landlords mercy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island