Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:32 AM

5,519 posts, read 7,109,883 times

Advertisements

Contract is up and time to renegotiate.

Have two DVR box, one digital box, router, 75/75 internet, and phone

Full cable packages, all channels

Here's what I was quoted:

Fios Ultimate package $189 with taxes
Optimum Gold Package $178 with taxes

Are these good prices, anyone paying less?

Gracias!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 08:38 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
My neighbor just got Fios triple play for $79/month.

I didn't think Fios was available in Brookhaven?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Contract is up and time to renegotiate.

Have two DVR box, one digital box, router, 75/75 internet, and phone

Full cable packages, all channels

Here's what I was quoted:

Fios Ultimate package $189 with taxes
Optimum Gold Package $178 with taxes

Are these good prices, anyone paying less?

Gracias!
Just re-signed 2 months ago

I have one DVR (non quantum), one standard HD Box, a second box free for life under an old promotion, router (non rental), 75/75 internet, phone.

Regular Cable Package with all premium channels free.

$166 after all taxes.

Question why do you have 2 DVRs if they are multi room?

Old 03-16-2017, 08:45 AM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Fios is the better product, hands down. But, it will be more expensive overall due to the extra taxes and fees attatched.

Optimum will generally be a few dollars cheaper but with garbage service. The pricing will become more in line with Fios accord to a few techs I've spoken with due to the takeover by Altice.

You will have to pit them against each other when your promo rate expires.
Fios seems a little easier to beat up over the phone.
Optimum not so much. If you should go with optimum, when the promo expires sign up with Fios and get a confirmation # and then call Optimum and only then will they really play ball.

Both companies are used to customers crying wolf and making idle threats to leave, so you need to prove you mean business when trying to renegotiate.

I've had both and in a perfect world I would've stayed with Fios.
Optimum is lousy but I'm stuck with it for now.
When we get into our new house we will have Internet only. Don't need tv or landline anymore.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Question why do you have 2 DVRs if they are multi room?
I just got a tv for the bedroom, and when ordering a box I was told by FIOS that all boxes were dvr now. And it would be twenty bucks for the two boxes now, and they are both quantum, what ever that is

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Fios is the better product, hands down. But, it will be more expensive overall due to the extra taxes and fees attatched.

Optimum will generally be a few dollars cheaper but with garbage service. The pricing will become more in line with Fios accord to a few techs I've spoken with due to the takeover by Altice.

You will have to pit them against each other when your promo rate expires.
Fios seems a little easier to beat up over the phone.
Optimum not so much. If you should go with optimum, when the promo expires sign up with Fios and get a confirmation # and then call Optimum and only then will they really play ball.

Both companies are used to customers crying wolf and making idle threats to leave, so you need to prove you mean business when trying to renegotiate.

I've had both and in a perfect world I would've stayed with Fios.
Optimum is lousy but I'm stuck with it for now.
When we get into our new house we will have Internet only. Don't need tv or landline anymore.
I am pitting them against each other now, FIOS is claiming they offer much better in regards to the services. They say their internet is faster etc.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I just got a tv for the bedroom, and when ordering a box I was told by FIOS that all boxes were dvr now. And it would be twenty bucks for the two boxes now, and they are both quantum, what ever that is

I am pitting them against each other now, FIOS is claiming they offer much better in regards to the services. They say their internet is faster etc.

hmmm interesting. So (unless the rep was lying) that means fios is only giving out quantum boxes now and phasing out the older motorola equipment. The quantum tv boxes use one box as a server (essentially your DVR) and the other boxes as clients. The main box has a tuner in it and does all the DVR recording and tuning while the client boxes just feed off the DVR for both recordings and tuning. Also with quantum you get more storage space and can record up to 6 or 10 shows at once depending on if you have enhanced or premium service.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:36 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Ugh, this again? They both blow. People can say FIOS is "superior" but I call BS. Had it years ago, fantastic. Had it last year, AWFUL. Boxes slow and service sporadic. Speeds lame. A phone rep actually said to me "it hasn't been the same since the strike" whatever that means! lol I just got my early term fee buyout check from Optimum. FIOS didn't even try to retain my biz despite my having their equipment in the house.

Cable in limbo since Altice bought them up. Cable service ok, not great but not as bad as FIOS was. Optimum store helpful and hands out free cables, modems, routers, boxes if you can fix things yourself and not waste a day waiting for a tech. Had to beat them over the head for my credits but STILL fighting FIOS for promos they promised.

So yes, both stink to high heaven. Maybe Trump will give us something "terrific" some day but these two aint it!

Price wise, you're in the ballpark. I pay @$210 but have a silver (not gold) pkg and 6 boxes/TVs. FIOS was $225 for the same. If FIOS were what they used to be, I'd still be with them. Maybe just my experience, but sounded from their people like it was par for the course.

If you like one, marry them. if not, play them vs each other for the best deal every year or two when the promos expire. This is the business model they have created.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Ugh, this again? They both blow. People can say FIOS is "superior" but I call BS. Had it years ago, fantastic. Had it last year, AWFUL. Boxes slow and service sporadic. Speeds lame. A phone rep actually said to me "it hasn't been the same since the strike" whatever that means! lol I just got my early term fee buyout check from Optimum. FIOS didn't even try to retain my biz despite my having their equipment in the house.

Cable in limbo since Altice bought them up. Cable service ok, not great but not as bad as FIOS was. Optimum store helpful and hands out free cables, modems, routers, boxes if you can fix things yourself and not waste a day waiting for a tech. Had to beat them over the head for my credits but STILL fighting FIOS for promos they promised.

So yes, both stink to high heaven. Maybe Trump will give us something "terrific" some day but these two aint it!

Price wise, you're in the ballpark. I pay @$210 but have a silver (not gold) pkg and 6 boxes/TVs. FIOS was $225 for the same. If FIOS were what they used to be, I'd still be with them. Maybe just my experience, but sounded from their people like it was par for the course.

If you like one, marry them. if not, play them vs each other for the best deal every year or two when the promos expire. This is the business model they have created.
HAHA! The "holy war" continues. If i had your issues above I would have certainly done the same. But in my experience fios has been stellar for 6 years and counting now. I I've had no major issues whatsoever with equipment and everything is fast (especially internet). The interface is FAR superior to optimums and its updated all the time, while optimums looks like it hasn't been updated in a decade. Internet blows away Optimums which used to bog down during prime time. You mention the store, those were great yes, but i was there far too often swapping out their crappy DVR boxes which used to go belly up for me all the time. But it was convenient to have a store to go to. Verizon however will overnight ship equipment to your door so its not that big a deal.

I do miss optimums customer service which was better, had an issue with internet once, they sent someone out to fix no charge. Fios charges by the hour in some cases, unless you pay extra a month.

Anyone's mileage can vary with any of these services. If you have an outside connection issue to your home for instance.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:31 AM

I know this is kind of lame, but one difference I remember with the two was Optimum used to have this lag time when changing channels, which I found cumbersome when channel surfing, with Fios it was always instant.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:33 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
My neighbor just got Fios triple play for $79/month.

I didn't think Fios was available in Brookhaven?
wtf! i have optimum and i pay $187/month for cable, internet and phone. *NO* premium channels.. but 3 boxes.

i guess i am getting screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island