Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:13 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,839,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
Code for "I'm overweight".
I'm overweight? I'm as skinny as they come thanks to my genes. I am also active in team sports weekly. I also do ride a mountain bike.

Quote:
I agree that cyclists need to obey the laws, like stop signs, lights, etc. I have rarely seen a cyclist break such laws though
You rarely see cyclists run stop signs? Hahhahahaha.

And they only stop at lights when it's too dangerous to run them (like a pedestrian's point of view).

There's a lot to be said for motorists who suck, but you have to at least be honest about these things before anyone would take a cyclist-apologist seriously.

Last edited by ovi8; 03-27-2017 at 10:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 10:20 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,269,567 times
I agree that cyclists need to stop for red lights, but I prefer when they do a safe speed or rolling stop through stop signs when possible because it means they maintain their speed which means I don't have to wait for them to accelerate from a complete stop to a reasonable speed again.

Some cities are starting to codify this into law as it encourages a safer and faster traffic flow while accommodating both cars and cyclists.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:20 AM

93 posts, read 139,128 times
Default Great Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
Get a dashcam, post it on the town's facebook site, youtube, here.
Some of their parents as well as the kids may see the video, that might help stopping it, they might do it to the wrong person, it won't be good.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyIsImportant View Post
On Saturday, 3/18) at around 4:45pm I was driving down Ruth Boulevard in Commack through the development behind Emilio's Pizzaria and a group of 7 or 8 teenage boys (approximately 13-15 years old) were riding their bicycles in the middle of the street, doing pop-a-wheelies, not yielding to traffic and screaming obscenities at the drivers trying to go past them. They yelled at the person in the car in front of me and then they yelled at me. They were very deliberately blocking traffic and trying to get a reaction from the drivers. If these are your children, they need to be taught respect. They do not own the road and their little bicycles are no match against a moving car. With so many distracted drivers these days, it could easily have had a very bad outcome. Please tell your children to bicycle safely.

What scares me even more than the thought of them getting hurt is knowing that in a few years' time they'll be driving around in cars and we'll be subject to their road rage. Scary thought!

From what I have recently learned, this has been going on for at least a year, cops have been called and yet nobody seems to be stopping them. Well, I don't get intimidated easily. If I see them again, I will take photos of them and report them to the police, school, media etc.
You say that it is a gang of kids and that they go in the street in commack and does this still happen or it was just the one time that you say? If it is gang why do they do it and they do threten people? Howe old are the kids and they do make other kids join the gang and its is all in commack? They do violence or just try to scare the people and what do you think they want?

Old 04-12-2017, 07:45 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,666,305 times
Brain Donors are a national phenomenon.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:59 AM

7,795 posts, read 6,366,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglassesperson View Post
You say that it is a gang of kids and that they go in the street in commack and does this still happen or it was just the one time that you say? If it is gang why do they do it and they do threten people? Howe old are the kids and they do make other kids join the gang and its is all in commack? They do violence or just try to scare the people and what do you think they want?
They just found four bodies in a Central Islip park. These kids should definitely be questioned and the park searched for bike tire tracks.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:40 AM

2,591 posts, read 3,383,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglassesperson View Post
How is it possible for this person to keep making a new account?

Old 04-15-2017, 05:32 PM

20,894 posts, read 28,287,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
How is it possible for this person to keep making a new account?
I always wonder the same thing.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:08 AM

32,849 posts, read 36,161,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I always wonder the same thing.
I want to know where the child is buried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island