Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 03:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I am not at all sure to what extent current admission standards are relaxed at Stony Brook to make way for out-of-state or foreign full payers as a threshold matter. Conceivably one could make up lost revenue this way.

Beyond that, as several of us have noted, this NYS initiative might make a difference in a number of levels but only at the margins.

I am wondering if this will even make a difference to the kid who gets into Hofstra/Adelphi and gets into Stony Brook. Most likely those kids will break the same way they did prior to this low impact state program. (I assume most accepted at all three head to Stony Brook nowadays given the current academic reputation but I could be wrong).
Admissions standards aren't relaxed to accept these OOS and/or foreign students. If anything, they may be held to a higher standard as only a certain percentage are admitted in order to accommodate NYS residents.

There always has been a percentage of students on campus who were EOP/AIM whose grades and secondary level experience might place them below their suburban peers in terms of grades. Historically, they've received services which add up while receiving TAP and PELL along with other grants from SBU directly. If the free tuition program means more needy students might be accepted (by virtue of achievement and academic success), where will SBU make its cuts, if SUNY limits the school to the number of full paying students?

It might make a difference to the student contemplating Hofstra or Adelphi as $6450 (current SUNY tuition only) will go much further at SBU. There was something in the bill about $3,000 in Tuition assistance grants for students attending private college in NYS. They will be held to the same restriction as to having to remain in NYS for X years post graduation. $3,000 off private school, after any merit or need-based aid might still make either Hofstra or Adelphi cost prohibitive for the qualifying family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 03:33 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,531,611 times
"Land of the FREE"

Old 04-11-2017, 03:39 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
Darn it. I am too old for my free stuff education. I would have gotten my free stuff if it wasn't for you meddling kids.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:10 PM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Admissions standards aren't relaxed to accept these OOS and/or foreign students. If anything, they may be held to a higher standard as only a certain percentage are admitted in order to accommodate NYS residents.

There always has been a percentage of students on campus who were EOP/AIM whose grades and secondary level experience might place them below their suburban peers in terms of grades. Historically, they've received services which add up while receiving TAP and PELL along with other grants from SBU directly. If the free tuition program means more needy students might be accepted (by virtue of achievement and academic success), where will SBU make its cuts, if SUNY limits the school to the number of full paying students?

It might make a difference to the student contemplating Hofstra or Adelphi as $6450 (current SUNY tuition only) will go much further at SBU. There was something in the bill about $3,000 in Tuition assistance grants for students attending private college in NYS. They will be held to the same restriction as to having to remain in NYS for X years post graduation. $3,000 off private school, after any merit or need-based aid might still make either Hofstra or Adelphi cost prohibitive for the qualifying family.
Agreed it's a higher bar for out-of-staters. (I phrased my response awkwardly).

As another poster noted, kids staying local are choosing Stony Brook (if they can get in) so this tuition law may not change much in that regard. (Of course there are exceptions)

Don't see much dramatic impact going forward at SB (may continue to raise the bar for admissions to some extent).

Old 04-11-2017, 05:55 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Look for loopholes and regulations up the ying yang.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:27 AM

5,054 posts, read 3,956,447 times
To add on to my reply, a place like Stony Brook might see an increase in 'yield' (the percentage of accepted students who wind up actually enrolling) this year as this new law kicks in. That increase in yield (actual for this year and projected for next) will result in a smaller number of acceptances by admissions staff next year. Since the admissions staff want to actually fill (via enrolled students) the same number of slots year to year. That will result in a decrease in the 'selectivity' (applications v admissions) percentage. An increased number of applications due to increased affordability will also decrease 'selectivity'.

Yield and selectivity are huge components in the college admissions game and together have a great impact on college rankings. The extent to which these two components are effected by the new law remains to be seen (although Stony Brook, for example) will get an inkling over the next month or so.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
To add on to my reply, a place like Stony Brook might see an increase in 'yield' (the percentage of accepted students who wind up actually enrolling) this year as this new law kicks in. That increase in yield (actual for this year and projected for next) will result in a smaller number of acceptances by admissions staff next year. Since the admissions staff want to actually fill (via enrolled students) the same number of slots year to year. That will result in a decrease in the 'selectivity' (applications v admissions) percentage. An increased number of applications due to increased affordability will also decrease 'selectivity'.

Yield and selectivity are huge components in the college admissions game and together have a great impact on college rankings. The extent to which these two components are effected by the new law remains to be seen (although Stony Brook, for example) will get an inkling over the next month or so.
We're currently wrestling with this in my house. We won't qualify for this program the first year. My youngest was accepted to SBU, Bing, and the other SUNYs where she applied. There was a presidential merit scholarship ($3.5K/year) from SBU, and if youngest were to live home (like oldest did when he attended SBU) youngest will walk away with ZERO debt. If we qualify for the 'free tuition' program in youngest's junior year, between the presidential scholarship and the balance 'free tuition' would cover, youngest would have plenty of money left to pay for grad school and come out with ZERO debt.

Guess who doesn't want to live home and commute?

As for the extent to which the components you've mentioned will impact SUNYs, we will see very soon. We attended a local admitted students event for Oswego several weeks ago. The place was PACKED. After listening to some of these students ask questions about FAQs which were featured in a power point, answered in the copious amounts of literature handed out that evening as well as mailed home repeatedly, youngest and I were left asking ourselves if these students were her true academic peers, would she actually be challenged, or would programs be diluted to accommodate the masses? Oswego is no longer a contender.

I have to locate the chart as to where the percentage of students who qualify reside. It was broken down by region with NYC (of course) being one of the largest , if not the largest, concentrations of students who qualify.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:53 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
So are the income limits on the program NET or ADJUSTED gross income?

Old 04-12-2017, 12:46 PM

Number and percent of students by region eligible for 'free tuition' under new bill:

Old 04-12-2017, 12:47 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,329,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
So are the income limits on the program NET or ADJUSTED gross income?
It's based on AGI. It's selfish, I hope it fails since I don't qualify now. I can only imagine in 15yrs I still won't qualify. It goes to 125k AGI in 3 years and I still won't qualify. It's nonsense since 125k AGI living in downstate you are not rich. Upstate is a different ballgame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island