Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 12:48 PM

188 posts, read 161,459 times

Advertisements

The city of RVC and NICE bus had decided to close the RVC bus depot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 08:28 PM

131 posts, read 332,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMLG2017 View Post
I am looking for a house for my family, and we have narrowed our search down to Garden City and Rockville Centre for the good public schools, easy commute to Manhattan, beautiful brick houses and proximity to the rest of our family. I have found houses I like in both towns, and am having a hard time pulling the trigger on anything as they both seem to have a lot to offer. This will be our "forever" home so I want to make sure its the right decision.

I am a SAHM so I'm looking for a town with plenty of activities for young children, a community feel, plus good restaurants for my husband and I. Any help or opinions on this choice would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

Garden City is the best suburb in the NY metropolitan area IMO. Best of luck!

Old 04-13-2017, 09:30 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
I was looking at a bunch of towns and narrowed it down to these two since then. It seems like there isn't that much in terms of kids activity gyms etc. in RVC (more in Oceanside) so I was hoping someone in a similar situation as I am (young kid, SAHM) would be able to share their experiences living in either town
RVC and GC are both great towns. But there are a ton of kids programs in RVC between the rec center, CATS, Sportset, the library, Tanglewood, etc. That should not be the deciding factor IMO

Old 04-16-2017, 07:03 PM
exm

3,720 posts, read 1,778,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.A View Post
The city of RVC and NICE bus had decided to close the RVC bus depot.
You think people in RVC or GC actually use the bus?

Old 04-18-2017, 07:12 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
You think people in RVC or GC actually use the bus?
Their housekeepers and landscapers do. And we all have to subsidize it.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:04 PM

39 posts, read 74,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
Garden City is the best suburb in the NY metropolitan area IMO. Best of luck!
Thanks - even being so close to Hempstead?

Old 04-19-2017, 06:25 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
The street next to Hempstead is Meadow. I would not buy there, but the rest of the area is fine. To be honest the "boundaries" have not moved in a gazillion years, if you are concerned about encroachment.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Being close to Hempstead is not a real problem. Garden City has its own police force. In addition the part of Hempstead that is close to Garden City has improved over the years with a new luxury rentals, car dealerships and other commercial development. There are homes that sell for $3 million with $50k in property taxes just 1-2 blocks from the Hempstead border. Trust me those homeowners wouldn't be paying those prices if they there was an issue. Also the area that borders the "bad" part of Hempstead represents like less than 5% of the villages housing stock. I know people who live in that section and they are professionals with young kids and don't have any problems. Garden City is a great suburb. It will always hold value given there are 6 LIRR stations that are within walking distance and excellent schools and recreation facilities. 3 country clubs. A nice downtown area.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The street next to Hempstead is Meadow. I would not buy there, but the rest of the area is fine. To be honest the "boundaries" have not moved in a gazillion years, if you are concerned about encroachment.
Meadow is not that bad. I know families that live there with kids. Highly educated professionals who commute to great jobs in NYC. Live totally normal suburban lives. They are not sitting in their homes cowering in fear. Ridiculous to suggest meadow street is some kind of hell hole. They are tearing down old homes on Meadow and building new construction that is selling for almost $1 million. Maybe there is some more petty crime like a stolen package once in a blue moon but that kind of stuff can happen anywhere.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:25 AM

48 posts, read 61,064 times
I've noticed more homes listed over the past couple of weeks in GC. Appears supply on the rise. Nice solid homes.
P.S. what's with the homes that have the double sided fireplace that practically splits a whole living room into two? Sometimes one of the sides is left with very minimal space. Perhaps a different taste from another era..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island