Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2008, 04:47 PM

155 posts, read 457,986 times

Advertisements

I find it difficult to find decent pubs on Long Island like some of the pubs in NYC. A decent Pub is a bar that has a good selection of draft beers and a bartender that actually makes you feel comfortable enough that you want to stay in the place and come back (not someone who just grabs the money out of your hand). I have been to Louie’s in the Port, both Croxley’s in Franklin Square and Rockville Center, Uptown Grill (worst) in Garden City and a number of other places that although have a decent selection of beer and a decent menu but they don’t make you feel hospitable. On the other hand, Murphy’s in Garden City and Rhumbline in Greenport both are great Pubs that I found to be places that had a good hospitable feel to them. Any recommendations?? I love going into the city but once in a while it would be nice to visit a decent local Pub to relax in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 04:56 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
Floral Park has a few pubs. Have you tried any of them?

What about St. James in Mineola? Great food as well. Always a packed bar crowd.

And in Glen Cove, the Barefoot Peddler always has a nice crowd seated at the bar (awesome food as well).

Not a big beer drinker here though so I can't exactly answer your ?.

Not a fan of Uptown Grille here. The food is not good at all.

Old 03-06-2008, 05:06 PM

155 posts, read 457,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Floral Park has a few pubs. Have you tried any of them?

What about St. James in Mineola? Great food as well. Always a packed bar crowd.

And in Glen Cove, the Barefoot Peddler always has a nice crowd seated at the bar (awesome food as well).

Not a big beer drinker here though so I can't exactly answer your ?.

Not a fan of Uptown Grille here. The food is not good at all.
I have not but Im trying to get a list of places that have the essence of a real pub that has real good bartenders and the food and beer that comes with that.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by circa62 View Post
I have not but Im trying to get a list of places that have the essence of a real pub that has real good bartenders and the food and beer that comes with that.
Ok then you must try

Barefoot Peddler in Glen Cove on Glen Cove Rd
St. James in Mineola right by the RR off of Franklin/Mineola ave
And a must for you....I think it will really give you the old timey bartender feel you are looking for
- Jameson's on Tulip Ave in Floral Park

And they all have really good food (but St. James food is by far the best).

Old 03-06-2008, 11:46 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Ok then you must try

Barefoot Peddler in Glen Cove on Glen Cove Rd
St. James in Mineola right by the RR off of Franklin/Mineola ave
And a must for you....I think it will really give you the old timey bartender feel you are looking for
- Jameson's on Tulip Ave in Floral Park

And they all have really good food (but St. James food is by far the best).
I second Jameson's. Good neighborhood feel and nice bar.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:22 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circa62 View Post
I find it difficult to find decent pubs on Long Island like some of the pubs in NYC. A decent Pub is a bar that has a good selection of draft beers and a bartender that actually makes you feel comfortable enough that you want to stay in the place and come back (not someone who just grabs the money out of your hand). I have been to Louie’s in the Port, both Croxley’s in Franklin Square and Rockville Center, Uptown Grill (worst) in Garden City and a number of other places that although have a decent selection of beer and a decent menu but they don’t make you feel hospitable. On the other hand, Murphy’s in Garden City and Rhumbline in Greenport both are great Pubs that I found to be places that had a good hospitable feel to them. Any recommendations?? I love going into the city but once in a while it would be nice to visit a decent local Pub to relax in.
How about Canterbury Ales in Huntington? Nice people, good beer selection, awesome fish and chips.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:51 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,881 times
As a former full time Floral Park resident born and raised, I think Jamesons was a good suggestion for a good low key place to hang out. It had decent food but being a beer guy, I was never struck by it having a great selection of beers. Standard run of the mill stuff. My bar of choice was McCarthys, across the street from Jamesons. I remember when it opened and it was very low key. It was also in walking distance from my apartment so it became my default hangout. The bartender/owner was there a lot tending bar and you could just shoot the breeze. I will never forget it but me and a buddy went to check the place out, grabbed a beer or two and when we were ready to leave, with much arm twisting, we were offered a shot on the house and a cheers before we left. Maybe it was just because it was newly opened and he was trying to be friendly to potential clientele (I didnt feel like he was pressuring alcohol and it was not done to everyone in the bar from what I saw while we were there), but I liked the place's atmosphere. I do not think though, they have a very wide selection of food. I remember seeing a kitchen but no great pub food selections.

The atmosphere has since changed and it tends to get a younger crowd and is much louder, busier and more crowded than I would care for. I'm 29 and have always been attracted to the old man bar type places...quiet pubs where you can talk, enjoy a cold one and get a decent bite to eat in a welcoming atmosphere. A place you want to stay at as the OP stated.

I tend to go to a place now called The Fiddler's Inn. It used to be called Kiddigans, er....I mean Kerrigans Pub. Its on the corner of Commonwealth blvd and Jamaica Ave in Bellerose. The same owner of McCarthys bought it, completely renovated it (cherrywood, etc..) and gave it an Irish pub theme, complete with the bartenders and brogue, a la McCarthys. I find the bartenders good to talk to...the beer selection standard and decent...but unfortunately I don't recall a kitchen. I am pretty sure they don't have one but could be wrong. It may just be small. All in all though, I like it...and enjoy it there. Every now and then its loud but it clears out in the later evening and becomes nice and low key. These places would be great if the food factor increased IMO.

St. James in Mineola was a good suggestion but I have never been able to figure out that place's vibe and theme. Its like they don't know what they want to be so they have a little bit of everything. The bar seems like its good to sit, talk, have a beer and watch the game. I have eaten there many times and the food is very good.

One other thing about the pubs and food issue. I know they passed the smoking ban in bars/restaurants a while back and bar owners were concerned about losing customers who could not smoke. Interesting tidbit....down here in FL, there is a weird variant to that law. They have the smoking ban here too but if the bar does not sell food (IE. NO KITCHEN), then clientele can drink and smoke. Once food and a kitchen are on site, the smoking law is enforceable. So, what I have seen bars do is have menus and places that will deliver to the bar and they allow people to bring their own food in so you can eat whatever you want, smoke and drink if thats your style. It was very strange when I got the explanation. I do not smoke so it never affected me but perhaps the smoking ban has something to do with pubs and their lack of food. Late at night though, I have seen most places turn a blind eye to smoking even when there was food so take it for what its worth.

Good thread thanks for posting.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:46 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Good post...I've been wondering about some of the FP places, as well as St. James and Murphy's.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Good post...I've been wondering about some of the FP places, as well as St. James and Murphy's.

St. James, you must go with your family. Great food! Service is just ok, and it is packed on the weekend nights (expect a good wait). But food is better than average for a bar/pub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island