Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 06:57 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,527,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Do you want a year round cabin with running water, heat and electric, phone, etc., or a camp with propane lights, composting toilets, a wood stove for heat and a well?

How much land do you want? Level, rolling, hilly?
Paved road or dirt road?
Middle of nowhere or a short ride to some sort of civilization?
Gun rights?
Hunting, fishing, skiing, snowmobiling?

As long as there is running water, regular toilet & electric, some sort of heating. Cell phone service. A rustic cabin/camp. Nothing big, 2 br, less than 1000 SF Really prefer on a lake if in budget, and/or Mountain view.

How much land do you want? Doesn't matter, Enough to make a firepit & hang out outside (deck).
Level, rolling, hilly? Doesn't matter
Paved road or dirt road? Prefer paved
Middle of nowhere or a short ride to some sort of civilization? Short ride to stores.
Gun rights? Don't own one
Hunting, fishing, skiing, snowmobiling?[/quote] Neither. Into: hiking, kayaking, nature trails

Last edited by Spanky25; 04-24-2017 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
https://www.barrettandvalley.com/lis...dham-vt-05143/

Bet you could get it for $130K. Needs some updating. Have the exterior corncob blasted and refinished and it will look like new. 171 miles from the B'port ferry terminal.

An alternative is western MA around I-90 and Route 8 Not sure of real estate prices, but some very quiet, lovely areas. Very easy ride. (This is my alternate route driving home from Albany.)
Exactly what I'm looking for. However, 4 1/2 hours from me. I was hoping for something less than 4 hours, but...what's an extra 1/2 hour? lol. As other discussed (I agree) once over that 4 hour mark, that can get very old. Almost $100 one way for Pt Jeff Ferry can be very expensive to/from. Do that 3-4 weekends per month, that's $600-$800 just for the Ferry. It's great that the Ferry is an option. I use every time I go to Maine.

Last edited by Spanky25; 04-24-2017 at 07:38 PM..

Old 04-24-2017, 10:35 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Exactly what I'm looking for. However, 4 1/2 hours from me. As other discussed (I agree) once over that 4 hour mark, that can get very old. $100 + one way for Pt Jeff Ferry can be very expensive to/from.
If you keep it to 3 hours and don't use the ferry, you're going to be very limited. We utilize the family special whenever possible, $75 car, driver and passengers. Mon-Thurs. Bear in mind that travel is one of the expenses associated with owning a second home. No avoiding it.

One of my concerns when we were looking was whether or not the land still had mineral rights, or if the seller had sold those off. I was warned about that by someone here on LI with land outside of Roscoe. Given fracking seems to be a dead issue for the time being, you might not want to put too much thought into that, but who knows what could happen 10, 20 years from now.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:23 AM

Quote:
If you keep it to 3 hours and don't use the ferry, you're going to be very limited. We utilize the family special whenever possible, $75 car, driver and passengers. Mon-Thurs. Bear in mind that travel is one of the expenses associated with owning a second home. No avoiding it.

One of my concerns when we were looking was whether or not the land still had mineral rights, or if the seller had sold those off. I was warned about that by someone here on LI with land outside of Roscoe. Given fracking seems to be a dead issue for the time being, you might not want to put too much thought into that, but who knows what could happen 10, 20 years from now.
Of course there is always travel experience. However, there is a big difference between a tank of gas vs. $150+++++ round trip for a ferry. There is also a big difference sitting in 1-2 ++ EXTRA hours in city traffic, LOL. So yes, I am very limited.

Well, as I previously stated, I just might have to wait until retirement (urrrrrr, 10 years). Travel distance really wouldn't matter all that much. I'll have plenty of time on my hands, lol.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:59 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,379 times
[quote=Spanky25;47941851]As long as there is running water, regular toilet & electric, some sort of heating. Cell phone service. A rustic cabin/camp. Nothing big, 2 br, less than 1000 SF Really prefer on a lake if in budget, and/or Mountain view.
[ /quote]

I'm more familiar with NY than other areas, but that is certainly possible on your budget. The mountain view may be more attainable than the lake, especially in the 3 hour drive radius. There are still some deals in Sullivan County. Ulster, Delaware, Greene counties all have plenty of options. Parts of Broome, Otsego and Schoharie might also work, although that starts to push the distance envelope. At around $130k, a resale would be easier to find. Depending how small you want to go, you might be able to find some land and build a cabin. Keep in mind that a water well can be a few thousand. A septic system can run from $10k to $30k depending on soil conditions. Even electric hookup can be a few thousand if you are not close enough to existing service.

Still, there are plenty of good deals on the market now.

Quote:
How much land do you want? Doesn't matter, Enough to make a firepit & hang out outside (deck).
Middle of nowhere or a short ride to some sort of civilization? Short ride to stores.
Hunting, fishing, skiing, snowmobiling?Neither. Into: hiking, kayaking, nature trails
Careful with your answers... you also need to consider what you neighbors are doing.

Don't need much land? Great, but that also means your neighbors will be close by. You might have a great neighbor or they might collect old, rusted cars. It might be a dairy farm (very pungent). Smaller home lots also tend to be in/near "town." That may or may not be what you are looking for.

Short ride to stores? The closer you get to stores, the closer you get to population and busy roads. In more rural areas, you do not want to be near/on one of the main roads - nothing like some tractor trailers hauling through at 3am. It is also closer to potential development (more stores/homes/people). Nothing inherently bad about that, just something to consider.

Gun rights/Hunting? Again, consider the locals. Where I am _everyone_ hunts. Opening day is practically a religious holiday. Again, nothing bad about that. Some "flatlanders" buying land there just don't understand it. Seeing hunters in camo with rifles all through deer season makes them uneasy. Hearing gunshots as people target practice in their "backyard" freaks some people out (I know from personal experience with some freaked out people).

Interesting note: The VT property posted earlier has a note on the listing: "Note: Ongoing Lawsuit over ownership of land under private road." This is the type of thing you really need to educate yourself on. Private Roads, mineral/timber rights, deed restrictions, local ordinances, nearby wetlands/waterways. Many things can be simpler in the country (like dealing with the building department) but some things are much more complicated than suburbia.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:10 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
As long as there is running water, regular toilet & electric, some sort of heating. Cell phone service. A rustic cabin/camp. Nothing big, 2 br, less than 1000 SF Really prefer on a lake if in budget, and/or Mountain view.

Hunting, fishing, skiing, snowmobiling?
Neither. Into: hiking, kayaking, nature trails[/quote]
based on your criteria, it doesn't really seem like you need a vacation home". You can hike, kayak on LI...and you can burn stuff in your backyard just as easy as you can out behind some "rustic cabin".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island