Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 04:37 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,203,916 times

Advertisements

Something in between a lousy planet fitness (About $23 a month when you add in the annual membership fee)

and Lifetime Athletics ($140/month with a $240 add on - I think that was a one off but I'm not sure)

A place that's decent - by that I mean - clean, with a decent shower, reasonable amount of parking & not crazy crowded with young folk hanging about grunting and groaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 05:30 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,854 times
I go to LA Fitness- its not as great as my old gym (NY Health & Raquet Club) but it is slightly better than Planet Fitness. I pay $360/year as I signed up for the lifetime membership (you pay a big hefty enrollment fee first, and then "lock" in a low annual rate for the remainder of your life). The machines are usually free, even at peak hours for my location (Farmingdale), and all locations have a swimming pool (most gyms don't have pools anymore) - for me, I needed a pool because I was recovering from surgery and swimming was easier on the joints. The hours are also good if you like to work out until 9-10 pm. Whether you have parking issues or crowds will depend on the specific location though.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:03 PM

9 posts, read 10,640 times
My family and I have been members of LA Fitness for several years. We also have a PF membership. We definitely prefer LA over PF.

I've never been a member of Lifetime or anything higher priced than LA, so I can't comment on that aspect. But I do love LA Fitness. There are always free machines (I go to Lindenhurst, Farmingdale, Garden City and Levittown). They are fairly clean. Parking is a bit difficult at Farmingdale, but you can still find a spot even if it's at the other end of the parking lot (esp in Jan).

Benefits are that it has a pool, basketball court & raquet ball court (depends on location), free classes etc. I would definitely recommend.

I got an email last week saying that LA is running a promotion for $29 per month. Not sure of the exact details of this promotion.

And the biggest downside is that the PF black card allows you to bring a friend - LA doesn't allow guests unless the guest speaks to a sales guy and the sale guy will most definitely do a sales pitch before letting the friend in. And if you want to cancel your membership, you will have to go in and talk to them during "office hours", which is a bit of a hassle.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:07 PM

379 posts, read 255,341 times
Most LA Fitness locations are filthy dungeons! The one in Lake Success has the second highest theft rate of all businesses in Nassau. There are routine break-ins of lockers and cars in the parking lot and visits by the police.

Ever notice this happens to gyms with basketball courts?

Old 03-29-2017, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
Most LA Fitness locations are filthy dungeons! The one in Lake Success has the second highest theft rate of all businesses in Nassau. There are routine break-ins of lockers and cars in the parking lot and visits by the police.

Ever notice this happens to gyms with basketball courts?
That is very surprising. I've never even used a lock on my lockers at LA and never had an issue. Have you had anything stolen?

Old 03-29-2017, 07:35 PM

379 posts, read 255,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southshore_living View Post
That is very surprising. I've never even used a lock on my lockers at LA and never had an issue. Have you had anything stolen?
No, but plenty of people at the Lake Success location have.

Aside from crime, the place is a disaster. Plates and dumbbells are all over the floor and not on racks, machines or weight plate trees. The bathroom reeks. Just a smelly, overcrowded, messy zoo of a place.

Old 03-29-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownHillAmerica View Post
No, but plenty of people at the Lake Success location have.

Aside from crime, the place is a disaster. Plates and dumbbells are all over the floor and not on racks, machines or weight plate trees. The bathroom reeks. Just a smelly, overcrowded, messy zoo of a place.
Interesting. I've only used the Lake Success location once or twice - it's definitely different from the rest of the locations mainly because it's a lot bigger than the other locations and it also attracts a younger crowd. Personally, I didn't mind that. It gave a pep to my workout seeing the younger folks

I'm not from that area, so I can't comment on the crime at the Lake Success LA.

Not sure what location the OP is interested in, but I've personally never heard of any kind of crime at any of the other LA locations that I've been going to for years. Like I said, I don't even use a lock - although I've been meaning to get a lock for years... which I probably should at some point. Or perhaps the reason I don't get things stolen is because people think my locker is empty!

Old 03-30-2017, 06:48 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,114,276 times
LA Fitness bought out Bally's and honored all the old contracts. I pay $156 a year.
The one in Smithtown is clean and nice. I also belong to Gold's Gym in Smithtown and pay $20 per month. I like going to two places as it breaks up the routine. I get a better workout at Gold's IMO.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:37 AM

732 posts, read 884,434 times
NYSC in Garden City is nice. $30 a month, free towel, lots of parking, quiet, lots of machines to utilize and no waiting to use them. That's when i go there at 7:00pm.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:41 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,255,484 times
Synergy fitness - $25/month. Or how about Retro fitness? i think that is also $20-$35/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island