Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 08:59 AM
exm exm started this thread

3,720 posts, read 1,779,901 times

Advertisements

From Newsday:

Quote:
Seven of eight MTA employees who made more than $200,000 in overtime last year worked for the Long Island Rail Road, including one track foreman who was paid a total of nearly $361,000 in a single year, according to a new report.

The data, compiled by the Albany-based think tank the Empire Center for Public Policy and released Monday, reveals that the MTA’s top earner in 2016, Ralph Golden, made $256,155 in overtime — more than tripling his base salary of $104,822.

Empire Center representatives said Golden’s total compensation, which topped the $346,706 salary of outgoing Metropolitan Transportation Authority chief executive Thomas Prendergast last year, was “part of a general surge in MTA overtime in 2016.” Golden did not respond to a request for comment.
Now you know why your fare is increasing every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 09:05 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post

Now you know why your fare is increasing every year.
Now we know why the system keeps breaking down. They can't afford to maintain the equipment. All yur paychecks are belong to them.

When I want to get to the city these days, I usually drive into Brooklyn, take the subway and shop in the old nabe when I'm done.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:06 AM

731 posts, read 724,718 times
Don't blame the workers for sucking up the OT...it's the suits that assign and offer it up.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:24 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
Don't blame the workers for sucking up the OT...it's the suits that assign and offer it up.
The foremen enable the pension-stuffing by giving them so much overtime. The suits and the politicians all sold us out for the votes. I'm afraid there's no fixing this.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:46 AM
exm exm started this thread

3,720 posts, read 1,779,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
I do blame the workers when they go on strike during contract negotiations or cry wolf about their pay and benefits which blocks any sort of reasonable reform.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:04 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,375 times
The MTA claims that it would cost a lot more money to hire more skilled people to do the job of these guys. So instead of hiring more people, they'll just have the same people work later and get paid for it. That way they don't have to pay for healthcare, pension, 401k, and all the other benefits that LIRR workers get. I think they should set a OT cap waiver and give them comp time instead of cash.

Its reasons like this that I don't feel guilty about not paying to go to an extra zone, or when I forget my monthly and I just tell them to write me ticket and throw it out when I get it in the mail.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:16 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
They work, they get the money. What they shouldn't get is an increased preposterously-sized pension based on their income including overtime.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:33 AM

280 posts, read 286,498 times
In the letters MTA, A stands for "Authority." The authority operates on a multistate basis without consent of those it is supposed to serve let alone any oversight. The authority is a GOVERNMENT into and of itself, just like a school district but worse because it is attached to a nebulously large geography. There are as many or more governments than there were in the 1940's when the limits to technology (records and communication) imposed a great paper pushing burden. Now graft and theft has replaced inefficiency.

It's not just bad that a $50,000 low skill job milks the public dime for $350,000; what is bad is that you have a whole unaccountable and independent agency that siphons off money to friends and family. Same for the bridge authorities who are charging toll crossings greater than minimum wage for infrastructure that was long paid for. Then we have pages and pages of $500,000 nassau cops; again a job that would be readily filled in the open market for $50,000.

An economy just cannot consist of outsized public , finance, housing, and healthcare sectors. It is a ponzi scheme and your LI or NY metropolitan house is right in the middle of it. It has a huge target printed on its back.

Old 05-02-2017, 04:55 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinx View Post
In the letters MTA, A stands for "Authority." The authority operates on a multistate basis without consent of those it is supposed to serve let alone any oversight. The authority is a GOVERNMENT into and of itself, just like a school district but worse because it is attached to a nebulously large geography. There are as many or more governments than there were in the 1940's when the limits to technology (records and communication) imposed a great paper pushing burden. Now graft and theft has replaced inefficiency.

It's not just bad that a $50,000 low skill job milks the public dime for $350,000; what is bad is that you have a whole unaccountable and independent agency that siphons off money to friends and family. Same for the bridge authorities who are charging toll crossings greater than minimum wage for infrastructure that was long paid for. Then we have pages and pages of $500,000 nassau cops; again a job that would be readily filled in the open market for $50,000.

An economy just cannot consist of outsized public , finance, housing, and healthcare sectors. It is a ponzi scheme and your LI or NY metropolitan house is right in the middle of it. It has a huge target printed on its back.
You just love using the bold font in your unhinged never ending rants don't you?

Old 05-03-2017, 11:24 AM

8 posts, read 8,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Now we know why the system keeps breaking down. They can't afford to maintain the equipment. All yur paychecks are belong to them.

When I want to get to the city these days, I usually drive into Brooklyn, take the subway and shop in the old nabe when I'm done.
where do you park in brooklyn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island